• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Eiichiro Oda to Editor: 'Die for One Piece'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
princessebabou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Hi guys! Unfortunately Oda is totally wrong and shouldn't ask his teammates to follow him. Some 1, 2 or 3% of people have a genetic mutation that allow them to sleep 7/7 days 2 or 3 hours like someone who slept 8 hours. And this without loss of focus or risk for health. Please see here or google hdec2 (the concerned mutated gene): http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703712504576242701752957910
That is why some people can work that hard. Yeah but that mutated gene doesn't give the talent of Oda... unfortunately... I have this mutated gene and, from what I read, I'm not the only one on this post. This is not a matter of involvement or courage. This is what I've been thinking during years. I am courageous, the others are too lazy. I was wrong. Some people can, others take huge risks if they don't sleep enough. And the quality of their work decreases with this lack of sleep.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
Fortunately, Oda has been taking a break almost one week every month. I think it's helped his pacing too. At least, for this arc and the last arc (Zou), the chapters have been eventful and entertaining.

Doesn't he smoke like a chimney too? I know the story of his health comes up about once a year, usually when he has to go to the hospital or something.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:09 am Reply with quote
If it's been 18 years and he hasn't died yet, I have to only assume that he's physically suited for working crazy hours. He probably also has the innate drive that keeps him from burning out.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
If it's been 18 years and he hasn't died yet, I have to only assume that he's physically suited for working crazy hours. He probably also has the innate drive that keeps him from burning out.

The power of youth. He's getting older, like the rest of us. And of course, the longer he continues to smoke and sleep like that, the higher the health risks. Just because someone has done it for 18 years when they were in their physical prime doesn't mean they could just keep going like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4