• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Magical Girls that Fandom Forgot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
On the poll last week, you just have
Quote:
Catch Me Catch You (Cardcaptor Sakura)
with no artist listed. The artist is Gumi (Megumi Hinata)

As for the new poll, if kira is on there (debatable if he counts) then Lacus should be too. <3 Lacus[/quote]
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
This week's list made me think of Shamanic Princess. I put a lot of effort into this getting the old, out-of-print DVD, but I haven't seen it yet. It has amazing character designs, though.

Speaking of Shamanic Princess, "Inori no Asa" was one of the songs I submitted for last week's poll, for the best 1990s anime themes. I wasn't surprised that it didn't make the top 20 (neither did my other choices), but I still think it's a beautiful song (even if the anime itself is puzzling as heck).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Triltaison wrote:
or Fushigiboshi no Futagohime are better contenders since they are also pretty much forgotten by everyone except dorks like me.

Lol I have a figure of Fine in her magical girl outfit.

(you and I would probably be great dorky friends) Anime hyper

Hey, neat! Someone else remembers it! Very Happy *dorky friend high-five*
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
Let's not forget Sally the Witch. It is among the earliest magical girl anime as well as 1 of the earliest shoujo anime. It was made by the creator of Gigantor, which is deemed the 1st giant robot anime.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:22 am Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
Why the heck is Kira Yamato in the poll? He's not a Newtype, he's a Coordinator.

that's what i was thinking. why is any of the SEED and SEED Destiny characters even in this poll considering the series dont even have newtypes?

i might get 00 since Ribins in his fight against setsuna in the final ep he was mentioning about him possibly being a newtype innovator due to him using the 00 gundam in ways a normal innovator can , but definitely not pilots from the SEED universe. and as for the poll, its a safe bet that lala sune , amuro and char will be at least in the top five very easily , if not in the top three.

Quote:
New magical girls have been seen a marked uptick in anime since Madoka Magica made them cool again.

Not quite. it wasnt madoka magica that made the genre popular again, it was actually due the massive popularity of mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha that made the magical girls genre a thing again. not to mention its more or less a primary reason why some of those newer series have been given slight possible hints of the two main characters are a yuri item. first it stated with nanoha takamachi and fate testarossa , then madoka and homura. now most of the newer magical girl series have some hints of that yuri element within the main female characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
peno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
As a Digimon fan, pleased to see Butterfly so high in the poll. We all knew which would be number one, though. Razz

We all did? I dunno about you, but I actually expected Tank to be a winner. But just like you, I am surprised with Butter-Fly being third and even more surprised with Brave Heart (which is actually my addition to the poll Anime catgrin ) to be on 20th place. That is big satisfaction for me. What shocked me, however, was Pokémon Theme on 4th place. I guess it's childhood for many people, but still, dub song even make it to ANN poll, and on top of that, place that high, I have to say I am really shocked.
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Is Galaxy Angel considered? If it does, feels like it belongs on the list.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Let's not forget Sally the Witch. It is among the earliest magical girl anime as well as 1 of the earliest shoujo anime. It was made by the creator of Gigantor, which is deemed the 1st giant robot anime.

Nope, definitely can't forget Sally. Even though I only got to see her show briefly in South Korea (my overseas teaching venture in 2009), I definitely enjoyed it despite not knowing much about what was being said. The Korean dub did add some sweet electric guitar to her opening song though. Wish I could find that version somewhere.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Five of the magical girl manga mentioned in this article were serialized in Nakayoshi, and yet you conveniently forget to mention Shugo Chara!, which was also extremely popular when it was still being serialized. Nakayoshi even advertised it as being as popular as SM and CCS once, near the end of it's run. I'm not really surprised that it's been ignored, given how everyone on this site is so obsessed with SM and never wants to give SC! any credit.

Ah, Shugo Chara. That series had a huge following in Japan to get a ton of merchandise and 3 seasons (127 eps.!) It kinda didn't take off here in the US unfortunately.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
As for the new poll, if kira is on there (debatable if he counts) then Lacus should be too. <3 Lacus

Because Kira is a newtype, and Lacus is not.

jr240483 wrote:
that's what i was thinking. why is any of the SEED and SEED Destiny characters even in this poll considering the series dont even have newtypes?

i might get 00 since Ribins in his fight against setsuna in the final ep he was mentioning about him possibly being a newtype innovator due to him using the 00 gundam in ways a normal innovator can , but definitely not pilots from the SEED universe.

Sorry, but SEED is officially confirmed to have newtypes. Ribbons also never says he is a newtype innovator. You (or whoever subtitled it for you) seem to be confusing 'new' for 'true'. Ribbons was saying he was a true innovator and not an innovado like the rest of his crew which was a direct response to Tieria/Setsuna calling him an innovado.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

Not quite. it wasnt madoka magica that made the genre popular again, it was actually due the massive popularity of mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha that made the magical girls genre a thing again.

Have to disagree on that one. I never watched a true Magical Girl show until Puella Magi Madoka Magica came out. Always heard about Sailor Moon, Precure, Nanoha, and Sakura, but never had even a thought about watching them. Madoka Magica came out and hit me in the head and rang my bell, and nothing has been the same. Now I am eagerly awaiting the next Magical Girl show (looking at you Magical Girl Apocalypse and Magical Girl Site), and looking at Nanoha and Sakura with interest.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:
This week's list made me think of Shamanic Princess. I put a lot of effort into this getting the old, out-of-print DVD, but I haven't seen it yet. It has amazing character designs, though.

Speaking of Shamanic Princess, "Inori no Asa" was one of the songs I submitted for last week's poll, for the best 1990s anime themes. I wasn't surprised that it didn't make the top 20 (neither did my other choices), but I still think it's a beautiful song (even if the anime itself is puzzling as heck).

Shamanic Princess was a great OVA, though I enjoyed the first part over the second. The music was excellent too (Inori no Asa, Omoide No Mori & Kaze no Matsuri). Fun setting and characters, too bad there wasn't more.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to see a show that had Little Red Riding Hood as a magical girl. It's a shame this wasn't brought to America. A lot of Americans are familiar with the character so it wouldn't be a hard sell,not just to Americans,but Western audiences as a whole. I hope this comes here someday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4