• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
violent meathead with the worst temper in the universe.

.....This pretends as if Bulma doesn't have a temperament to match. Or can't be violent herself.

gedata wrote:
That's the sort of decision no sane person who isn't rich would make.

Like you said that's something, someone who isn't rich wouldn't do.....except Bulma's rich as hell.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball tends to have the best filler, mostly because they don't even try to make it seem like canon and they just go overboard.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
the premise is as flimsya s it gets, did not champa get gifted a planet earht of hiw own two arcs ago ?
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
This premise seems a bit out there. spoiler[I understand that Goku fully accepts that someone wants to take his life and all, but for a person that has already died and come back, he's really on edge. I get that he doesn't want to die, but there is also a way to come back from death, which kind of defeats the purpose of being really worried about being killed. Why should anyone care about him dying if all they need to do is wish him back to life with the dragonballs?

Also, at this point, he has tied Krillin for most times died (if we exempt GT). Will he surpass Krillin?]
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
This premise seems a bit out there. spoiler[I understand that Goku fully accepts that someone wants to take his life and all, but for a person that has already died and come back, he's really on edge. I get that he doesn't want to die, but there is also a way to come back from death, which kind of defeats the purpose of being really worried about being killed. Why should anyone care about him dying if all they need to do is wish him back to life with the dragonballs?

Also, at this point, he has tied Krillin for most times died (if we exempt GT). Will he surpass Krillin?]

spoiler[Unless for some reason Hit is instructed to keep on killing Goku every time he is revived by the Dragon Balls.

That could be interesting, but I doubt they'll do it.]
Omegaplib

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure spoiler[ Whis is the one who sent Hit to kill Goku as a means to train his carelessness during battles and Hit accepted because he likes Goku and maybe sees this as a way to improve himself. Whis will reverse time to revive Goku saying that he failed and should fight Hit until he becomes better.]
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
71:

spoiler[Eh. It's impossible to take death too seriously in Dragon Ball in general but this episode suffers from some shitty context. For starters, there's the fact that the Dragon Balls are still active since Shenron hasn't granted a final wish. This means it'll only take maybe a couple of hours for them to be rounded up after fetching the radar from Bulma. So if he is dead, who gives? He's basically just taking a nap. Then there's the fact is that Toei has already started hyping the next major arc with promotional material in which Goku is completely fine. Because of that, this arc likely won't amount to much asides from some set-up regarding whoever put a Hit out on Goku.

Lastly, they really power-creeped the fudge out of Hit's time-stopping didn't they? He had thousands of years of experience heading into the tournament against Universe 7 and could only freeze time for a fraction of a second. Now he can hold entire conversations with his targets before killing them without a millisecond passing.]

Last edited by gedata on Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marimo0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
71:

[spoiler]Eh. It's impossible to take death too seriously in Dragon Ball in general but this episode suffers from some shitty context. For starters, there's the fact that the Dragon Balls are still active since Shenron hasn't granted a final wish. This means it'll only take maybe a couple of hours for them to be rounded up after fetching the radar from Bulma. So if he is dead, who gives? He's basically just taking a nap. Then there's the fact is that Toei has already started hyping the next major arc with promotional material in which Goku is completely fine. Because of that, this arc likely won't amount to much asides from some set-up regarding whoever put a Hit out on Goku.

Lastly, they really power-creeped the fudge out of Hit's time-stopping didn't they? He had thousands of years of experience heading into the tournament against Universe 7 and could only freeze time for a fraction of a second. Now he can hold entire conversations with his targets before killing them without a millisecond passing.[spoiler]

A couple errors you made about the dragon balls. First off, the balls will still go inert if a wish is granted. It's just for one wish, they'll be turned to stone for several months. Second, even if they were active, the earth's dragon balls can't revive a person more than once even after Dende's upgrade. It was brought up at the end of the Cell saga with Dende's solution being to get the Namekian dragon to revive Goku.

And concerning Hit, it was brought up that Hit found no reason to improve himself in all those years before the Universe 6 vs 7 tournament since no one was a challenge for him. Goku was able to give Hit motivation to improve himself.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
72:

spoiler[So there was no point to any of this at all then? Well, dang. A shame for anyone who theorized who could be behind this and what it would mean for the series.

And now I'm convinced the series is going out of its way to make Vegeta look wimpy. Him of all people trying to flake out on training. Get outta here.]

Otherwise, this little 2-parter wasn't too bad I guess, even if would've appreciated a bit more than what we got. Next episode looks it could be pretty funny though.

Marimo0 wrote:
gedata wrote:
71:

[spoiler]Eh. It's impossible to take death too seriously in Dragon Ball in general but this episode suffers from some shitty context. For starters, there's the fact that the Dragon Balls are still active since Shenron hasn't granted a final wish. This means it'll only take maybe a couple of hours for them to be rounded up after fetching the radar from Bulma. So if he is dead, who gives? He's basically just taking a nap. Then there's the fact is that Toei has already started hyping the next major arc with promotional material in which Goku is completely fine. Because of that, this arc likely won't amount to much asides from some set-up regarding whoever put a Hit out on Goku.

Lastly, they really power-creeped the fudge out of Hit's time-stopping didn't they? He had thousands of years of experience heading into the tournament against Universe 7 and could only freeze time for a fraction of a second. Now he can hold entire conversations with his targets before killing them without a millisecond passing.[spoiler]

A couple errors you made about the dragon balls. First off, the balls will still go inert if a wish is granted. It's just for one wish, they'll be turned to stone for several months. Second, even if they were active, the earth's dragon balls can't revive a person more than once even after Dende's upgrade. It was brought up at the end of the Cell saga with Dende's solution being to get the Namekian dragon to revive Goku.

And concerning Hit, it was brought up that Hit found no reason to improve himself in all those years before the Universe 6 vs 7 tournament since no one was a challenge for him. Goku was able to give Hit motivation to improve himself.

Oh. Thank you very much for those corrections.
nagpo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
""I do wish I knew that this was going to a fun mini-arc ahead of time instead of thinking it was a big dramatic turn for the series,"

Literally no one thought this except this guy.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Of course, we know what the next big arc is, so everything in between is going to be filler. Still, this miniarc felt quite a bit underwhelming. They could have run with it and had a time where Goku was dead, but nope, he sprung right back to life. =/ Without the Dragon Balls, even. That's right, people, characters can now spring back to life in this series without even using the Dragon Balls! Wow.

Vegeta's characterization also felt a bit off. Vegeta is known to be a character that will push himself to his very limits. In this episode he wanted to cheat himself out of training by bribing Whis with food. I know it's filler, but come on. Vegeta straight up would never do that.]

I know, people were asking for more Hit, I hope they were satisfied with this little arc.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
They could have run with it and had a time where Goku was dead, but nope, he sprung right back to life.

What would they even do with a third or fourth episode of this arc? It's not like they we would have an episode devoted to Goku's funeral, since by this point this would've been the third time he's died so it's not exactly something new, their first instinct would be to find ways of bringing Goku back. And by then when they come up with a solution like just trying to get in touch with the Namekians, the plot would just be dragging its feet getting us back to having Goku alive with no real tension or stakes since Hit was only after Goku and not a threat to anyone else and we know Goku being brought back to life is just a foregone conclusion so we're just waiting for that to happen. Hit would've probably left the planet if Goku wasn't able to quickly revive himself and then power up to show he wasn't still dead, so there'd be mucking about trying to get in touch with him to come back for a rematch. Plus it would just take away from Goku coming up with a smart move without much time to plan by setting up his own way to come back.

Revolutionary wrote:
Without the Dragon Balls, even. That's right, people, characters can now spring back to life in this series without even using the Dragon Balls! Wow.

He had a clinical death. Goku just had the foresight of using his energy like a defibrillator (wouldn't have worked the last couple times since he got a hole through his body and got blown up respectively). The execution of this kind of death and revival has happened similarly in other media, so I don't see what the big deal is in showing an alternative way of bringing someone back to life besides just using the dragon balls in this show. It's not even a first for this series since Elder Kai was able to just give his life to Goku.

Revolutionary wrote:
Vegeta's characterization also felt a bit off. Vegeta is known to be a character that will push himself to his very limits. In this episode he wanted to cheat himself out of training by bribing Whis with food. I know it's filler, but come on. Vegeta straight up would never do that.

Remember last episode? Vegeta just wanted to get all the repetitions of his basic training out of the way because he believed Goku was getting special, super intense training and he wanted in on that.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
Not even a mention of how bad the animation was? Yeah it was pretty fluid, but characters were often off character and badly proportionated (for DB), and every action scene looked simplistic (I mean in term of forms, colors, and details). It clashed even more due to the fact the non moving background were pretty good and detailled
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Black Turtle wrote:
Not even a mention of how bad the animation was?

It's a meme at this point.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Great review! I 100% agree that Dragon Ball is and will always be primarily a comdey. Which is why I'm glad that DBS takes the time to give us more of a glimpse into the characters daily lives. Also Bulma saved the day again! I swear that woman is the most powerful character in the universe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 40