• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Some things on anime couples.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Nisekoi is NOT a particularly good or decent romance anime.

OBJECTION SIR.

That's one of my favorites. :p
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Shonen manga and romance don't always mix easily. Sometimes,the romantic elements fit in well,and sometimes they don't. In the cases of "Naruto" and "Bleach,"both shows try to have romantic elements in them but that took a back seat to action and watching stuff get blown up. In "Naruto,"he could've had either Sakura Haruno or Hinata Hyuga. There were other girls that would be interested in him,but he rarely noticed them.
And,for a long time,Naruto had a big crush on Sakura and carried this big torch for her. Hinata also pined for Naruto but while he was friendly with her and got along with her,a lot of the time,he thought that she was a little weird. But then,he could have been happy with just about any girl he would have wanted. It wouldn't have bothered me if he had gotten married to either Sakura or Hinata. Either one would have been good for Naruto,anyway. I don't know if the Naru/Saku pairing was popular in Japan but I think it could have worked just as well as Naru/Hina did.

As for "Bleach,"I'm not sure where romance would have been able to have fit in. It was largely an action show that had humorous elements in it. Romance,I think came in merely as an afterthought. You had Orihime pining for Ichigo and Chizuru going after Orihime,but those were largely played for laughs. There doesn't seem to be a serious romantic relationship on that show other than Orihime's huge but one-sided crush on Ichigo. And,where did the idea for an Ichigo/Rukia romance come from?
They're both good friends but I've seen no proof that either of them have any other feelings for each other outside of friendship in either the manga or anime. I guess,that's the nature of shonens. Whatever romance there might be,it almost always plays second fiddle to action. Romance may pop up now and then,but it's rare. The focus is largely on beating up bad guys and saving the day. I'm not saying that romance shouldn't be there,I'm saying that it's not the main focus of what's going on.

With shows like "Naruto" and "Bleach,"romance rarely pops up. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have them. I'm saying is that romance in a shonen show is as rare as water in the desert. But,just because it's rare,doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. Action's the name of the game in that genre. Romance plays a minor role in it,but it's there all the same.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
And,where did the idea for an Ichigo/Rukia romance come from?
They're both good friends but I've seen no proof that either of them have any other feelings for each other outside of friendship in either the manga or anime.

LAP.
PILLOW.

http://animescreencaps.com/index.php?5119-Episode_9/startcat-528

I know it's not "proof" but no way in hell would I let just a friend put his head in MY lap. lol
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Also, if anyone makes the argument that Ichigo getting lap pillow treatment from Rukia means they're just friends, please, go over to your friends and ask if you can lay your head on their lap. Tell me how they respond.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the lead guy ending with the main female but sometimes prefer the second female lead. Even if Kishi had NaruHina, he did a bad job at having Naruto feel the same for Hinata. Also, while Sakura did still have feelings for Sasuke, even during the last few chapters, I think those feelings were weakened as she got to be closer to Naruto.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:14 am Reply with quote
One thing that I typically like is when the first romance isn't the one that the series goes with, but still treats it seriously until the bittersweet conclusion. How many of you are with the first person you've ever dated, and in such a way that you KNOW you'll be together and happy forever? Less than three I'm guessing. I like that sort of realism in anime.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:57 am Reply with quote
Recently,I saw a video on Youtube that I thought you guys might be interested in. It was from Anime America about the "Top Ten Worst Anime Couples." And surprisingly,or unsurprisingly as some might say,both "Naruto" and "Bleach" were mentioned. One of them said that Sakura deserved a lot better than what Kishimoto gave to her. And,to a certain extant,I agree. Sasuke really wasn't into Sakura. As I've said before,I thought that he was more interested in being the James Dean of the Hidden Leaf Village more than anything else. And,that was before he went off the rails.
I would have been fine with Sakura having either Naruto and Sasuke. It really didn't matter to me. From what I saw of the show,if Sakura were kidnapped,I know this. Naruto would go to the ends of the earth or even further than that to rescue her. And,he'd do that for all his other friends as well. But,especially Sakura. If Sasuke didn't go nuts or anything like that,he might have come around to her,but the operative word here is,might. It's hard to know anyway,and right now,it's all a moot point. For the most part,romance wasn't on the mind of Masashi Kishimoto. He was more interested in action. He didn't pay a whole lot of attention over who ended up kissing who.

And,the same could be said for Tite Kubo. Romance was the last thing on his mind. He was focused on what weird powers his characters were going to use or what part of the landscape was going to get obliterated. Having Ichigo choose what girl he was going to date wasn't what "Bleach" was about. As with "Naruto,"action was the name of the game in that manga. Laughs came second,while romance came a distant third.
So,what do you guys think? I suggest watching the video first before you comment. But then,I'm always happy to have more of those so keep 'em coming guys!
stilldemented

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Shipping used to be a grand time back in my youth, but is something I don't really find myself doing much of anymore.

Having said that, I've always been at odds when it comes to most anime couplings, and I assume in part that this is why many a fandoms seek out fanfiction. Anime has a tendency to tease at pairings rather than commit to them, and in the shows where they do commit to a pairing they throw you a curveball that leaves you scratching your head.

This is mainly because stories tend to evolve beyond their original outline, but because manga and light novels are such a longform art, it can become difficult for authors to maintain perspective. So when it comes to romances, they tend to have a very simple love story between a boy and girl that gets more intricate as time passes. But what happens when you introduce a character that is infinitely more fleshed out or much more personable than your main heroine?

Then you've got this conundrum wherein which your side heroine is a better character than your main heroine could ever hope to be. It wouldn't be smart to stick to your original script, but a lot of writers do it all the same. I can't really say that I begrudge them for this so much, but the writing can fail to measure up under real scrutiny.

Take Nagisa from the anime Clannad as an example. While many a fans love her for After Story, I can't help but find a lot of her character to be omittable. Tomoya has more interesting interactions with Kyou and Tomoyo. Just incorporate some of Nagisa's mannerisms and her parents onto either of them. Nothing about the story would really change other than the daughter's hair color.

Or Toradora because they don't really take note of how Ryuuji's feelings are changing. I never got the impression that he actually had anything other than platonic feelings for Taiga until Minori had to all but smash a hammer into his chest and completely remove herself as an option in his life. Which just made the main pairing feel like a consolation prize as both Ryuuji and Minori had to bend over backwards in the final episodes to fall on their swords and make RyuujixTaiga happen. Because episode 1 said so.

I pick on these two mainly to show that these shows are not without fault. Subjective as all of this may be. I've personally found Re:Zero, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, True Tears, and Ichigo 100% (manga) to all have a better handling on their romances. Polarizing as a lot of them may be.

(Since I know someone is going to ask...Emilia is a muse and functions as the path to self-betterment. Rem is a crutch and the path to stagnation. Subaru will strive to be a better person with Emilia. With Rem he'll never have to try and always stay the same. Do you like Subaru as he is now? That's an underlying point of that episode.)

But that's all just me. Feel free to disagree. In regards to Naruto and Bleach. I liked Ichigo and Rukia together. Didn't really mind who Naruto got with, whether it be Sakura or Hinata.

But NarutoXIno was some of that good ol' fanfiction crack. Blonde Love for life. I always considered a better written version of Sakura. She 's more toned down and evolves a lot more as a character during the course of the show.

Anyway, that's my soapbox on all the subjects. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5