• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon U.S. Launches Anime Strike Paid Streaming Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
That interview reminded me of a politician being interviewed about a subject they didn't really want to address.

Quote:
There's a deep library of classic and newly-released titles,...

If they consider that a deep library, I wonder what terminology they would use for the libraries of CR, Funimation, or The Anime Network?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
An interesting question might have been "Most of the titles in your quote-unquote deep library are already available on other streaming services, many of them even having those titles free to watch, so what does Strike offer as an incentive for people to choose it over the alternatives"
Then again, given how borderline offensively dodgey the answers are, they might as well have refused the interview at all, they can't possibly believe these nothing answers would appease people. If anything, they seem a glaring proof that they don't know a thing about the audience they're supposedly trying to cater to, beyond their willingness to pay for content
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Uhhh really? I have amazon prime but they make it so you have to pay another 5 dollars a month on top of me already having to pay for funi, crunchyroll, and netflix? lol come on now. This is why people pirate or torrent anime smh.
NGK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Laughing @ amazon

Amazon asking prospective subscribers to double dip is like asking cable subscribers to upgrade to expensive tier to get Anime Network channel.

I'm sure most of us without Prime just want the Strike deal, and current Amzn Prime subscribers want access to Strike library too .
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
^It's more like having to buy HBO subscription to add the channel (Incidentally that is one of the channels they have for Prime Video). Now certainly not everyone wants or can afford to pay more, but, speaking as a cable subscriber, going to a higher channel lineup or even getting HBO is more than just 5 dollars a month.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Except it's NOT a channel. It's practically an entire category of video ("practically" assuming that they do still keep some of it in regular Prime).... and that category is pretty sparse and a huge amount of the prospective audience is already familiar with your offerings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Except it's NOT a channel. It's practically an entire category of video ("practically" assuming that they do still keep some of it in regular Prime).... and that category is pretty sparse and a huge amount of the prospective audience is already familiar with your offerings.

Yeah that's true, even putting aside the fact they call it such. I meant it more in the financial sense to show that the comparison to cable packages was a bit of an over exaggeration.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
A lot of really great questions Zac. Basically everything that I wanted to be asked. And I honestly didn't expect any better answers from him. I generally view interviews like this as just a way to get the thoughts of the community into their ears in the most effective way possible. Even though the guy sounds like he has never watched anime in his life and really doesn't know what he's talking about, if he is any good at his job, he'll at least make note of what was discussed.

DmonHiro wrote:
Never in my life have I been so happy I don't have to rely on services like this to get my anime. Not only do you need Prime, but you have to pay more after... wow...

None of us have to rely on services like this. We choose to because we want to support the industry. If they make that too hard, many will take the other options available. I think Amazon is going to certainly increase the number of people doing that.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
I trust AoA with their high prices more than this they don't charge an even higher premium beyond their already-high premium. Also, since CRl/Funi/Hulu/Netflix/The Anime Network are more established with anime streaming services, maybe Prime should be taking some notes.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
I knew what was in store the moment the fool talked about his "team." Every time I see that used in a non-sports setting (even on this site Rolling Eyes) instead of "staff" or something equally professional sounding, I know bullshit will follow. It's my keyword for sorting out phishing mails no matter how good the rest of the fake is. The entire interview felt like a phishing mail.

I don't think "over-the-top" means what Mr. Faill thinks it means. The term he was looking for is "added on top" and they seem to think they've found a "solution" for a problem that didn't exist until they stuck their clumsy thumbs into it.

"There's a passionate group of fans who would love to have anime content all in one place, and to do that made sense – to create a separate, dedicated channel." So we decided to add yet one more place for them to visit. Rolling Eyes

Not only does he seem completely unaware of anime and its fandom, he also seems to have never used the internet. What difference does it make if I find a title in the library of all of amazon.cow's videos or in a separated niche corner? I would still have to visit amazon and wade through several layers to get to the niche. It's just one more added step within amazon, and a whole bunch of extra steps from CR or elsewhere. This microscopic "unified experience" is hardly worth $5 a month just to have them put it on one page.

Where do we write to voice our displeasure over this? I've only found the "textbox into the void" method on their site, but if people are getting replies, they must be contacting them directly.

This interview was not borderline offensive, nor was it skillfully evasive, it was a blatant slap in the face that left the imprint of "ha, you people are really gullible and stupid" on my cheek.

I hate you amazon.com

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Where do we write to voice our displeasure over this? I've only found the "textbox into the void" method on their site, but if people are getting replies, they must be contacting them directly.

This interview was not borderline offensive, nor was it skillfully evasive, it was a blatant slap in the face that left the imprint of "ha, you people are really gullible and stupid" on my cheek.

I hate you amazon.com

I just left them feedback under the 'other' category, from a link on the page for the videos. I can't recall the exact page. I had a reply the same day. I didn't include the entire reply in my other post, because some had personal info and some had redundant info, and some was "calm the customer" language, but what I included was verbatim.

I was very dissatisfied with the interview as well. He sounded like an out of touch PR man trying to talk to young fans using middle management terms, and it only underscored his lack of understanding of both the fans and anime.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:51 am Reply with quote
From what I gather from Michael Paull linkedin page, he is your average "suit", he got the job because he "knows digital media". He reminds me of the higher ups at Commodore Business Machine, yeah, that company at one point was Apple rival and nowadays does not exist, those suits had no idea what computers were about. Michael Paull must think he knows better than current streaming sites, that his business model will bring a ton of extra cash. Next time we hear of him he will be decrying how piracy is the reason Anime Strike failed to meet its business goals.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
@Random Name: the point might have been to have the interviewee seem like he was actually giving a valid response. I think Amazon Prime has more than enough money to have seasonal anime air in most countries hours after its Japanese air date.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
This interview did not pull any punches and I'm really impressed by it. It was telling the way the responses shortened as the guy became more and more impatient with the succession of hardball questions. I doubt this person will agree to be on ANN ever again, but those questions needed to be asked.
solarsun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
Sent them an email about it saying I was disappointed I would need to pay 160 bucks a year for anime strike essentially. I got a copy/paste answer back stating they would forward my email to the amazon video department.

Even I, who is abnormal in what a 'standard' anime fan IS via age, thinks it's bull. I'm 32 and can afford another 5 bucks a month won't do it. This is a nickle/dime grab and I'm not being apart of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10