• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Publishers Discuss Legal Action Against Upload Site

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Sad
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I never heard of this site. But big news. Never thought they would go straight after a site...but then agin, there are so many of them.
Desa

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
"You cut off one head, two more shall take its place."
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. only a 1000 or so more to go Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
People also upload a lot of scans and novel translations to Wattpad. A lot of them are Chinese Wuxia novels that rarely, if ever, get translated into English anyway (at least not that I know of), but still.

That and people taking fanart from pixiv to use as their novel covers. And then putting a bunch of "DO NOT STEAL" notices on their own (bad) novels. It's like they think Wattpad users are the only ones entitled to copy protection...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
People also upload a lot of scans and novel translations to Wattpad. A lot of them are Chinese Wuxia novels that rarely, if ever, get translated into English anyway (at least not that I know of), but still.

That and people taking fanart from pixiv to use as their novel covers. And then putting a bunch of "DO NOT STEAL" notices on their own (bad) novels. It's like they think Wattpad users are the only ones entitled to copy protection...

Well, them and Sonic fans, what with their infamous "Original Character Do Not Steal." Some confrontations happened with the Babylon Rogues in Sonic Riders and again with the main characters of Freedom Planet (though not a Sonic game, the ire came from Sonic fans). They were quickly dismissed, however.

Desa wrote:
"You cut off one head, two more shall take its place."

Well, if the two more are not as big and wither on their own, it works out fine for the publishers. Of course, looking at all the comparisons to hydras, clearly the solution is to chop them off and cauterize the necks to inhibit further growth.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

They don't understand that copyright protection is for the instance of publishers taking down the site because it's illegally distributing their work, that IS what copyright protection is for!
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

Just going to note that there is a fairly large translation scene for Wuxia novels, and Qidian has recently partnered with several of the sites while also releasing their own platform. The ones that might not be translated are most likely the especially bad ones, or the ones where the author doesn't give consent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1