• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Girls' Last Tour

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That final scene between the girls is super romantic in its framing, and I've also learned that the author wrote an AU oneshot where the two are dating.
There's just a touch more to it than that: A) that oneshot was part of the anthology comic and B) spoiler[it was all just a dream Chii had while watching a thousand-year-old movie]. The name of the chapter's "Final Tour" if you want to look up the scans.
nechronius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. Kanazawa and Ishii...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...inform them that they may be the last humans alive,...

I'd say it's a pretty big "May." They aren't all that omniscient, couldn't find their "baby" and only mention life on that level. The girls originally came from a lower level or area that seemed completely unfamiliar with the Myoopis. Kanazawa is probably still mapping at least one layer lower and Ishii presumably floated to the bottom level.

Their statement that they believe that there are no other living humans on that level ls also less of a sweeping statement when you consider that when they got catapulted off that rocket elevator that was probably their entry to their current level. They never stated they had gone up another level but they did go up another elevator that was compared to the previous one.

I think the Myoopis started on their level and went UP from the level where they were worshiped without bothering with lower levels and ignorant of lower level humans like Yuu and Chii traveling up after them.

All their statement really might mean is that their current level is a particularly desolate one. And when you think about it, the previous levels seemed to have their purposes- They went from a war torn but largely residential level to one almost exclusively industrial. They haven't really spent must time on their current level but for all we know it may have even less of a current use than their previous worn out industrial one. Maybe they were all bureaucrats. I can see why they'd get bombed to hell. (by the way, I work for a state government agency and am fully aware we'll be the "first against the wall when the revolution comes.")
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
melmouth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
If you as a writer want to take on a Really Big Issue, and you're making something for TV, you have to explore your big idea while at the same time being very entertaining. TV is a mass medium, and the stuff that appears on it is mainly intended to be light entertainment (or some kind of love story).

Very hard thing to do!

But all the creators of this anime did it successfully, and very movingly. The anime is full of stunning/terrifying events and vistas, interspersed with events that tell the Big Story while at the same time movingly depicting the two girls' friendship. The ending episode is an emotional stunner, on the two levels being presented simultaneously. I went away amazed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10