• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Black Clover

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
Studio Pierrot is currently being heavily overworked and they have absolutely no staff to spare.

Almost makes me hope the series fails so that studios maybe stop overworking their employees and hire the right amount of people to properly handle shows in the future :/

Getting a half-assed product because companies are too obsessed with making money over entertaining fans, when they're in the entertainment business, and rush into projects they're not ready to handle is disappointing.

wow that's messed up you are attacking them just because you saw a comment that you have no idea is true the studio is great and none of their projects are half assed
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
#878863 wrote:
myskaros wrote:
#844391 wrote:
Ep 12,

Havn't read the manga but they were telegraphing everything pretty obviously. Rich boy has a grudge against yuno, requested him as a bodyguard, found out where his home was, had the bandits attack him and since that failed he'll have them attack the village. Hopefully Yuno is smart enough to realize this and just hasn't given it away that he knows, I don't like it when smart characters fall for really obvious traps.

They could have avoided the whole situation. The knight they had with them should have just insisted on continuing to their destination (he is a noble too after all), they were hired to protect him on a direct route, not to go sightseeing, and they could always say that the guy's safety is paramount and ignore his requests. But plot demands bad decisions so here we are.

Actually filler :v this mission wasn't even in the manga except mentioned in passing later.

That said, I actually would have been totally on board with this filler except that it's going to eat into next week's episode too, which just further delays the next mission for no discernible reason :/ if it had just lasted this half episode and let things proceed next week, it would've been great, get a quick glimpse at Yuno and some Golden Dawn wizards.

It's just really... so mysterious why they're afraid of progressing and decide to instead risk losing some of their audience this early in the show. Manga readers know it's filler and get frustrated when there's no progress, but newcomers also haven't really been shown much spectacle yet to really get into the show. It's almost like the anime production team doesn't trust that the source material is interesting on its own.

that's a lie and you know it

Whats a lie? It all sounds rather right to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
#878863 wrote:
myskaros wrote:
#844391 wrote:
Ep 12,

Havn't read the manga but they were telegraphing everything pretty obviously. Rich boy has a grudge against yuno, requested him as a bodyguard, found out where his home was, had the bandits attack him and since that failed he'll have them attack the village. Hopefully Yuno is smart enough to realize this and just hasn't given it away that he knows, I don't like it when smart characters fall for really obvious traps.

They could have avoided the whole situation. The knight they had with them should have just insisted on continuing to their destination (he is a noble too after all), they were hired to protect him on a direct route, not to go sightseeing, and they could always say that the guy's safety is paramount and ignore his requests. But plot demands bad decisions so here we are.

Actually filler :v this mission wasn't even in the manga except mentioned in passing later.

That said, I actually would have been totally on board with this filler except that it's going to eat into next week's episode too, which just further delays the next mission for no discernible reason :/ if it had just lasted this half episode and let things proceed next week, it would've been great, get a quick glimpse at Yuno and some Golden Dawn wizards.

It's just really... so mysterious why they're afraid of progressing and decide to instead risk losing some of their audience this early in the show. Manga readers know it's filler and get frustrated when there's no progress, but newcomers also haven't really been shown much spectacle yet to really get into the show. It's almost like the anime production team doesn't trust that the source material is interesting on its own.

that's a lie and you know it

Whats a lie? It all sounds rather right to me.

they are not afraid of of progressing and they do trust the source material
you are trying to speak for other manga readers like me and say that i'm frustrated by the filler (if you can call them that) and say there no progression

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
Ep 14,

This arc seems like it could be exciting but nothing really happened in this episode. A dungeon popped up and they were sent to explore it and they set off some traps and...that's it. No new revelations or anything aside from the fact that dungeons exist and have treasures. Also, Luck is a big of a dick, shoving Asta into a trap. What if it had actually been lethal or crippling, like a cloud of poison or acid or something?

btw, is it first come first served with the rewards from a dungeon, or do they have to turn in all they stuff the find to the kingdom? I'm thinking it's the latter since if everyone could keep what they found I would think every single knight in the kingdom would be raiding the dungeon for prizes.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:38 am Reply with quote
^ As far as I can tell, the Knights are agents of the Kingdom. When they're on a mission, they're acting on behalf of the Kingdom, so any loot or special items they get goes to the Kingdom. The Dungeons don't seem to actually be part of any kingdom, so it *is* first come first serve, and that's why the Wizard King was quick to send a bunch of knights to claim whatever might be there.

I was amused at how the word "steal" and "rob" were repeatedly used at the mention of someone other than the Magic Knights (which means the Kingdom's government) gets anything inside, even though they don't have any real claim to it, either. The main reason, I would guess, that non-Knights don't try looting these dungeons is that they'd get killed by the traps (and probably by any knights that happened upon them). Though I suspect that some folks try anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Ep 15,

Finally got some action happening, although they certainly dragged it out a bit, nothing happened in the first half of the ep. Btw, for someone who loves to fight strong people, Luck somehow missed the fact that a mage giving off lots of smoke is probably not just doing it for looks. I figured it was poison or something the moment I saw the smoke, although it's more of a strength sapping magic, but close enough.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:16 am Reply with quote
The mimic gag killed me xD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:12 pm Reply with quote
[quote="#844391"]Ep 15,

Finally got some action happening, although they certainly dragged it out a bit, nothing happened in the first half of the ep. Btw, for someone who loves to fight strong people, Luck somehow missed the fact that a mage giving off lots of smoke is probably not just doing it for looks. I figured it was poison or something the moment I saw the smoke, although it's more of a strength sapping magic, but close enough.[/quote

they did not drag it out
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
#878863 wrote:
they did not drag it out

If you're going to disagree with someone's opinion, at least provide some actual reasoning instead of just stating "you're wrong."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
Ep 16,

So at the end with the new bad guy and his giant sword, I'm guessing that swords in grimoires have some special meaning? Some unique grimoires from the past or something? Or is that just his magic making a really big sword?

Overall decent episode. We've got the main action going at least. But it's a bit hard to feel much about Luck's past since we are introduced to it before the commercial break and then he's overcome it and become friends with everyone immediately after the commercial break. It just happened so fast. On the other hand I am perfectly happy with getting past drama over with quickly, naruto spent multiple episodes going over flashbacks and backstory (although this series has sort of done that too previously heh).

The one thing that did make me laugh was after the replaying the previous scene after the commercial cut, which kind of stands out when there are no commercials so it's just an immediate repeat.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Ep 16 was fine, Lotus dropping away as soon as he lost makes sense for spoiler reasons.

On the subject of Luck's flashback and resolution Sam pretty much hit it, it doesn't seem to know what it wants. Is he learning to trust his allies akin to a One Piece style of friendship (See Robin in Enes Lobby) or is he supposed to learn Friendship makes people stronger in an almost supernatural way akin to Fairy Tail. I think it's going for the One Piece style of Friendship but it's not clear enough to be satisfying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Both My Hero Academia and Black Clover are clearly inspired by the success of Naruto; Horikoshi himself has stated Naruto was his primary inspiration (complete with a thumbs up from Kishimoto). And this makes sense, since despite what weebs would have you believe, Naruto remains a massive critical and commercial success, being the best-selling manga in history internationally (not domestic or worldwide; that’s obviously One Piece). So with One Piece remaining what it is and with WSJ trying to forget the fact that Bleach existed, it makes sense that they would try to capitalize off of the only remaining member of the Big Three.

What’s important, though, is how they approach it. MHA takes a more experimental approach, taking the things from Naruto and trying to portray them in opposite lights with hit-or-miss results. Naruto is now far less outspoken and just an ordinary kid (Izuku), Sasuke is now a plain ol’ jerk (Katsuki), Sakura’s sweet side is now far more prevalent than her brash side (Ochako), Jiraiya and his philosophies of peace are made the core from the beginning rather than brought to us gradually (All Might), Gaara and Neji are now one character (Shoto), etc. Black Clover, however, is playing it far safer. Aside from the rivalry being portrayed in a mostly positive light, as opposed to Naruto (which was more lukewarm) and MHA (which is more negative), there’s really nothing here that hasn’t been done better in other shows. It basically takes the characters of Naruto, has them live in the world of Fairy Tail, and enlists them in the system of Bleach. There’s barely any attempt to try something new like MHA, and I think that’s the real reason why it is currently not as critically well-received.

no it's mha that's not trying with how boring it's characters are and how bad the story is

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
#878863 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Both My Hero Academia and Black Clover are clearly inspired by the success of Naruto; Horikoshi himself has stated Naruto was his primary inspiration (complete with a thumbs up from Kishimoto). And this makes sense, since despite what weebs would have you believe, Naruto remains a massive critical and commercial success, being the best-selling manga in history internationally (not domestic or worldwide; that’s obviously One Piece). So with One Piece remaining what it is and with WSJ trying to forget the fact that Bleach existed, it makes sense that they would try to capitalize off of the only remaining member of the Big Three.

What’s important, though, is how they approach it. MHA takes a more experimental approach, taking the things from Naruto and trying to portray them in opposite lights with hit-or-miss results. Naruto is now far less outspoken and just an ordinary kid (Izuku), Sasuke is now a plain ol’ jerk (Katsuki), Sakura’s sweet side is now far more prevalent than her brash side (Ochako), Jiraiya and his philosophies of peace are made the core from the beginning rather than brought to us gradually (All Might), Gaara and Neji are now one character (Shoto), etc. Black Clover, however, is playing it far safer. Aside from the rivalry being portrayed in a mostly positive light, as opposed to Naruto (which was more lukewarm) and MHA (which is more negative), there’s really nothing here that hasn’t been done better in other shows. It basically takes the characters of Naruto, has them live in the world of Fairy Tail, and enlists them in the system of Bleach. There’s barely any attempt to try something new like MHA, and I think that’s the real reason why it is currently not as critically well-received.

no it's mha that's not trying with how boring it's characters are and how bad the story is

I had to search to find who you were responding to. That post is from October last year, not sure why you suddenly needed to address it now. And you really need to work on supporting your point if you're trying to make an argument. "The show I like isn't bad, the show you like is bad" isn't really going to convince anyone. State specific examples to demonstrate why your side of the argument makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
#878863 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

I had to search to find who you were responding to. That post is from October last year, not sure why you suddenly needed to address it now. And you really need to work on supporting your point if you're trying to make an argument. "The show I like isn't bad, the show you like is bad" isn't really going to convince anyone. State specific examples to demonstrate why your side of the argument makes sense.

what do you mean by last October and i was just giving my opinion like how he compare black clover to a show i don't like so i don't see why you are attacking me for having a opinion

Last edited by #878863 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
#878863 wrote:
#844391 wrote:
#878863 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

what do you mean by last October and i was just giving my opinion like how he compare black clover to a show i don't like so i do see why you are attacking me for having a opinion

Your "opinions" are basically you telling people their wrong while providing nothing to back it up. At least when people crap on BC they give actual reasons for why its crap while you can't be bothered to come up with a valid defense that doesn't involve acting like a child.

Also digging up an old post just to make an immature whine at it is a stupid thing to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 25