• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Konohana Kitan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Moe slice of life shows are normally... not my thing, but most episodes so far have pleasantly surprised me. Right now, this is running a close 2nd for my favorite show of this season.

Randomly, Bikuni returning in this ep reminded me: I'm a bit surprised the fabric of time itself didn't rip apart in the first episode when Tsubaki/Okami and Bikuni met, especially given the shoujoai aspect of this show. Those two are voiced by Sailor Uranus and Neptune, respectively, but from different versions of Sailor Moon. (Specifically, Tsubaki/Okami is voiced by Megumi Ogata, who was Sailor Uranus in the original, and Bikuni is voiced by Sayaka Ohara, who was Sailor Neptune in Crystal.)
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
It's a big deal for me when an anime pulls of an effective protagonist, and Yuzu is really good, particularly in this genre. Young, clumsy and naive but always disarmingly, penetratingly observant. You always worry this kind of protagonist will be just too hopeless, too cute or just the source of gags but she's always been obviously more than that, and in episode 6 we finally saw why. She's like an adorable little monk sometimes.
catsspat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
No one mentioned this, so here it is.

The customer who interrupts Ren & the ghost almost making out is voiced by Amano, Sakuya, the author of the original manga.

This character, wearing a fox(?) mask, is actually a regular at Konohana Mansion. In the manga, she walks away muttering how she can extend the deadline (for manuscript submission) using the "power outage" excuse.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
@catsspat. Thanks for the insight.

The latest episode has Yuzu with very strong Akari (from Aria) vibes, which imo is a good thing.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Just in case you thought the series was going to peak at episode 4, episode 8 is here to prove you wrong. Get some tissues ready.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Ok, this episode had a really solid and well-executed twist. I loved the fact the rather disconnect stories from both halves ended up being far more related in more ways than one. Good stuff!
catsspat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm impressed with how the script writer (Yoshioka, Takawo) connected the "tenohira" episode from Vol.1 (dog and the truck driver) with "shiosai" episode from Vol.2 (liar girl). Actually, nobody said so directly, but it's obvious enough from the change in the script (re: sending her to art school, etc.), as well as the ponytail image in the flashback. I don't understand why they changed the family name of the liar girl from Hasegawa to Matsumoto, though, since there was never a mention of the man's family name anywhere.

I'm on the fence on this series because of the unsatisfactory main casting. Mind you, I had the original manga from 2010 (as well as all the newer releases), so the series had over 7 years to simmer in my head. Still, I'm more tempted to pick up the Japanese BD now. Casting Ueda, Reina as Rei (liar girl) was a dirty trick on me Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I feel kind of proud that as soon as he said that his parents were not really his that I put the pieces together about what he actually was. But it was also a beautiful episode, which I often get from helper dog stories. And great nice touch when we saw a picture book in the man's house, that the girl from the first story was the stepdaughter of the man in the second, although the clues were already there with how he said it took a while for her to accept him but now was away at an art school.

Episode 8 was surprisingly beautiful.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was simply fantastic. This series just continues to have such good execution in its material that I wish more people were watching it. Splendid job by studio Lerche and this show has now become one of my favorites of the season. Very Happy
movie_buff36

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
snif snif.. seems like every episodes pack with emotional driven stories..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
Wow, this show is so much more and better than I assumed it would be at the beginning. Loved episode 8.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
*wipes tear* Episode 8 was utterly brilliant.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
So, we learned in episode 9 that cursed dolls do eat, placing Okiku right there with Rozen Maiden dolls that eat their own weight in food.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Most underrated of the season, easily
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Most underrated of the season, easily

I would agree. This and Himouto! Umaru-chan R seem like they're being criminally ignored, as of right now at least. I'm just glad I got to cover them both, because I probably wouldn't have watched them, otherwise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5