• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sequels Dominate Most Anticipated Winter 2018 Anime Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm most curious about DARLING in the FRANXX & Violet Evergarden. Beatless, Killing Bites, & Marchen Madchen also look...interesting (the more violent ones might be fascinating trainwrecks!) Fate/ & Shaft usually make good anime, but I was not impressed by that Fate/ OVA last New Year's Eve. Saiki's ok, but not especially exciting. It seems like a very solid season, though.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
The fact a relatively popular yuri manga Citrus is getting an anime adaptation is pretty mind-blowing so I'm definitely watching that (hopefully Crunchyroll or FUNimation gets it). Violet Evergarden is by far the biggest hyped KyoAni work ever so I'll take a leap of faith on that! The rest I'll wait and see like those traveling cute girl shows, that sword girls show from Studio Gokumi, and Trigger's new work DARLING. I have a feeling Trigger is holding back the biggest gimmick for DARLING in their promotion.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
When Netflix gets shows with wider appeal (like Seven Deadly Sins) I have no trouble, but going after a show from otaku favorite KyoAni seems wrongheaded to me. Same thing with the Fate show they got this year. Since when is the typical Netflix watcher so into otaku-targeted anime? I do get the allure of Netflix for anime producers, but I hope this does not lead to a huge backlash from seasoned anime fans outside Japan.

I'd say Apocrypha is within Netflix's wheelhouse, given they have Zero and UBW in their catalog. Violet's genre and setting could make it the KyoAni title most likely to appeal to a wider audience, or at least new or casual Western fans, but we'll see.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I think CCS is probably the only thing I'm interested seeing. I'm not sure if it will affect any relationships, but I could be wrong.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:

This whole post just screams "Trux Fortuita" Laughing

LOL just watched that video. I think your a little naive, after 25 years of viewing (since mid 90's and original release of GiTS, Fighter II: The Animated Movie and Channel 4 running late night Fist of the North Star) I'm at the True Acceptance stage where I've seen everything (over 2000 shows) and know what I like, classic tournament arc Shonen, detective shows (e.g. Conan, Kindaichi), Space Opera, Mecha, grown up slice of life, Zany comedy parodies (e.g. SD Gundam, Hokuto no Ken parodies) and heart tugging romantic comedy (in the Love Hina, School Rumble model). I know I don't like Idols, bands, sports anime (though All Out and Cross Game were alright), sword and sorcery, supernatural, or horror. For me personally the golden period was 79-2002 shows with most stuff over the last 5 years lacking depth and ambition.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I'd say Apocrypha is within Netflix's wheelhouse, given they have Zero and UBW in their catalog. Violet's genre and setting could make it the KyoAni title most likely to appeal to a wider audience, or at least new or casual Western fans, but we'll see.

Having other Fate shows in their catalog does not automatically mean they have wider appeal for Netflix users. I actually agree that Violet Evergarden could have mass appeal, but the more hardcore fans will still be pissed that it will not be legally available during the Winter season. I wish these "sequestered" shows could be streamed on Crunchyroll while they aired in Japan and then taken down before it started streaming on Netflix. The more casual fans will probably wait on Netflix for the dub.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
^Having it (and keeping it) in their catalog means they at least think the shows would appeal to their audience. If anything, I'd say Apocrypha seems like it would be even more appealing to their audience than the original and Zero, though even the latter two seem like they could appeal to Western casual fans. All three are dark, plot oriented shows with plenty of action, which sounds exactly like most of the anime I watched as a teenager and wouldn't be out of place on Toonami, or Adult Swim back in the day, though to my knowledge the Fate series has not appeared on the block. I couldn't see Netflix picking up the Heaven's Feel movies though.

As much as I'd like to see Violet as it airs, three months in short by Netflix standards, and I don't think any streaming site would willingly offer their exclusives to another site (which they are not partnered with) to stream first, albeit with fewer language options. There wouldn't be any upside for Netflix to allow CR to handle the simulcasts, as even if many who would simulcast it would watch it through more illicit means, they would lose any who would wait but aren't interested in dubs. I know I wouldn't watch it on Netflix if it were available on CR first, even if I was rewatching it. That's not necessarily out of loyalty to CR, as I didn't rewatch IBO or Monogatari Second Season when they were delaycast on CR after first being streamed on Hulu and Daisuki, respectively. I don't necessarily find it agreeable, but it is understandable and it is their business model, which is why I hope they transition to just doing real originals like Devilman Crybaby.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
There wouldn't be any upside for Netflix to allow CR to handle the simulcasts, as even if many who would simulcast it would watch it through more illicit means, they would lose any who would wait but aren't interested in dubs.

Are we sure that would be such a bad idea? The Funimation-Crunchyroll partnership is proof of that when Funi lets CR handle the simulcasts for popular shows like AoT and MHA. I have seen fans in these forums say that they rather wait to watch shows until the broadcast dubs start.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Are we sure that would be such a bad idea? The Funimation-Crunchyroll partnership is proof of that when Funi lets CR handle the simulcasts for popular shows like AoT and MHA. I have seen fans in these forums say that they rather wait to watch shows until the broadcast dubs start.

They would have to be partnered with them as Funi is with CR first. If they aren't, they would just lose money. They would likely also have to give CR subs entirely as with Funi, not just while it's airing, and I don't see them giving that up for their real originals like Devilman. It's one thing to lose people who would pirate instead of waiting, and another to lose the entirety of fans who have Netflix who prefer subs for the shows they will be giving to everyone at the same time. This isn't really a thread on Netflix's business strategy so I'll leave it at that.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 am Reply with quote
Shame Mitsuboshi Colors didn't even make the top 10.

I'm looking forward to that one for the combo reason that I enjoy the manga (yes, because it reminds me a bit of Ichigo Mashimaro but also Yotsuba & !) and SilverLink is the studio that's animated the plurality of my favourite anime TV shows this decade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Trigger is coming out with an anime next season? Which one?

Trigger and A-1 Pictures will animate DARLING in the FRANKXX
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:28 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Humm CardCaptor is definitely my most anticipated show. I don't know how much they'll follow the original anime since so much of it was original.

It follows the manga canon. No Meiling, 19 Clow Cards and the second movie didn't happen.
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
Most anticipated for me: Overlord. Without a doubt. I am also eager to see whether Junji Ito
"Collection" will be a good adaptation. And Kakegurui will finally show its face on Netflix!

In a less urgent fashion, I am also looking forward to the following: Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody, Dagashi Kashi, Koi wa Ameagari no You Ni and Violet Evergarden.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2