• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Violet Evergarden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
@ Gurren Rodan - Great, well-written post. Agreeable on fronts as well.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
@ Blood- and Joshua Zarate - aw, thanks, guys.

Looking back on the episode, my favorite moment might actually be Violet's flashback on the ship, when she considers Claudia's statement about burning up. Seeing Violet counter her own reply from then was a poignant example of how her character has changed, even if the road to getting there wasn't perfectly presented. Violet feels like a properly realized character now.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:24 am Reply with quote
Beautiful tear-jerker.....THEN SHIT HITS THE FAN.

Nice. I actually covered my mouth when the old lady so casually said the thing. Violet's world is now in shambles. Way to go, Granny.

I love that the father let Violet keep the parsol though; so sweet. The walking across the lake was awesomely animated.

"Where's the alcohol?"

"I hid it."

Hahahahahahahahah! Laughing
Edmond Lo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:45 am Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:

Looking back on the episode, my favorite moment might actually be Violet's flashback on the ship, when she considers Claudia's statement about burning up.

I feel exactly the same as you do. I think there are some very good scripting there. My highlight is when she spoiler[ was echoing to herself "I am not burning, I am burning, I am not burning, I am burning".]

A few lines that was able to raise the emotion up a few level. (That is how I feel anyway.)
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:49 pm Reply with quote
^Right? Violet is going through major inner turmoil, and watching that scene is like watching two different characters. It's remarkable.

A thought I had about "no body was found": if Violet isn't given absolute proof of Gilbert's death, she's probably going to hang on to the (vain) hope of finding him again - which could become very unhealthy, but make for some interesting viewing.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 08 is also very good.

Violet looks much younger in her flashbacks now. While I think she was drawn a bit shorter, it's also the clothes and hairstyle. Also, she's really badass. The war scenes are fluid and feel very real to me. From the visuals to the acting to the directing, everything in this show is just....perfect.

We haven't even gotten to Gilbert's farewell speech to her and I'm already tearing up. Crying or Very sad I'm expecting the next episode to make me bawl my eyes out.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Also, she's really badass.

I thought she was ridiculously overpowered myself.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
For what I understood, Gilbert expected that Violet would obey him and stay at the camp during that first mission, but after seeing what she is capable of doing he started to rely on her to stay alive.

Last edited by Panino Manino on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
This show is on an impressive second wind, and we're barely halfway through. This is good!

The point about no one batting an eye bringing the child into war is a fair one, though. Where on earth did they even find this child who's so efficiently deadly? Did she learn that trying to survive on the streets, or something??

I'm also very curious how the show intends to ultimately portray the relationship between Gilbert and Violet. Right now it reads heavily as parent to child, and if that's the point, I'm fine with that; but if these two are supposed to be would-be lovers, I think there was a wrong turn.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
I'm also very curious how the show intends to ultimately portray the relationship between Gilbert and Violet. Right now it reads heavily as parent to child, and if that's the point, I'm fine with that; but if these two are supposed to be would-be lovers, I think there was a wrong turn.

I'm seeing a father-daughter thing from Gilbert's point of view. From Violet's....I think it's an attachment like "this is a person I just can't be without." A vague kind of love. Now that he's gone, she feels lost......like an orphan who was separated from her parent too early. He was her whole world.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
So i take it that, unless the anime strays from the source material, we won't get Violet's backstory pre-Gilbert? That's a bit of a shame because this episode didn't really bring us any closer to Violet as a character. If anything, it explained why everybody treated her as a killing machine because well, that's pretty much what she looks like to the untrained eye...

But i guess the main point of the episode was to show us why Violet latched onto Gilbert like there's no tomorrow since he was literally the first person to show her any kindness and Gilbert's conflicting feelings over using her.

Complaints aside, i still really liked the episode for the scenes of Violet in the present, desperately searching for Gilbert while slowly starting to realize that he might be gone for good.Sad
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:20 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

--snip--

In general, Violet Evergarden is a fairly realistic show. Thus the portrayal of Violet as an invincible teen-aged killing machine is pretty jarring in context.
Crext

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote
Anyone even know the legal streaming site for this in Europe? I keep trying to find it on Netflix with no luck.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Crext wrote:
Anyone even know the legal streaming site for this in Europe? I keep trying to find it on Netflix with no luck.

According to animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-01-11/violet-evergarden-begins-on-netflix-in-some-territories-not-u.s/.126317 Netflix streams it in the UK, but no other European countries are listed.

We here in the US cannot watch it legally either given that Netflix refuses to air series episodes as they appear in Japan. As a Netflix subscriber, I've chosen to adopt other methods to watch this series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 14