• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentinel_Wraith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:35 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
do anyone here believe that those "death threats" that was given to the staff are the primary reasons for ichigo's 180 aka her redemption tour?

i sure think so!

That's not how it works. They had the Episodes produced and planned out in advance. Around Episode 12 the staff were asked what episode viewers should look forward to and they said that Episode 15 was definitely the one, and sure enough it was.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
The tv special that was broadcast this week certainly added some nice details.
Story takes place on earth in the distant, very distant future and Nishigori hinted at what to expect in the second half spoiler[ Manly tears incoming ] Anime cry
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Futoshi, you're not alone. /fistbump You give all the love, the girls friendzone you and the guys rag on you for trying to be supportive. You just can't win man.

At this rate I see Futoshi committing suicide saving Kokoro, or he ends up raising Kokoro and Mitsuru's kid. Never winning her heart. Poor guy. Fat guys never win. Crying or Very sad
FierceAlchemist

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:24 am Reply with quote
I strongly disagree with the review for episode 16. After all the action and drama of the recent episodes, I thought this was the perfect time to do a narrative reset and give the characters a break. We can see how things have changed & how Hiro is genuinely understanding the importance of living, the character who previously had put all of his self-worth into being able to pilot the FranXX. And unlike past episodes which hinted and foreshadowed the fate awaiting the pilots, this episode actually showed the beginnings of the end, real consequences.

Personally I think it's one of the strongest episodes of the whole show and gave me a better idea of the themes this narrative seems to be building to.
Sentinel_Wraith

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:09 am Reply with quote
I find it curious that the reviewer forgot to mention a major plot point: the revelation of the Klaxosaur leader, possibly Code 001. Not only does she have Ashen Black wings like the princess of the book, she's also the one horned blue oni to Zero-Two's red oni. On top of that she looks almost identical to Zero Two's original form, and the new opening clearly shows that she possesses a completely unknown FranXX. She could be an entirely new enemy or ally against PAPA.

Also, some interesting lore notes...Mystelltain, which is the name of Plantation 13, is also the name of the weapon used to kill the god Baldur. APE and PAPA are completely focused on building Hringhorni, which was Baldur's funeral ship, and PAPA is portrayed as a sort of god to the parasites. Pretty strong foreshadowing that they succeed.

We also have the Blue Oni/Red Oni overlay. If I've heard correctly, in the original legend the Blue Oni sacrifices itself for the happiness of the Red Oni. Depending on if the Blue Oni is Zero Two's sister or mother, this could provide a way out.

Finally, we see them walking in the Sakura Garden shown in the second scene of Episode 1 but the flowers have yet to bloom, which could suggest that seen was an early preview of the ending.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
The guy over at Replay Value was much more optimistic and analytical about this episode's thematic value. He said it wont be anywhere near the best episode from the series but it is none-the-less important. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O52dICbwyRA
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the series is well past its halfway point

...No? Unless they pull a sudden 3rd Arc on us, then episode 16 is very much the first episode of the second half of the show aka it's not "well past" the half way point.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:54 am Reply with quote
I really don't understand the "why didn't explain everything that the world is, what the klaxosaurs are and the goals of every single character already?!" complain that people have with this show
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:55 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:

...No? Unless they pull a sudden 3rd Arc on us, then episode 16 is very much the first episode of the second half of the show aka it's not "well past" the half way point.

I think they meant numerically, as 16 is more than halfway through 24 episodes. The show's creators did refer to episode 16 starting the second half as you said.
Simplo

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:18 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:

I don't know what kind of math did you learn in school, but halfway of 24 is 12. Just because 2nd arc is shorter doesn't mean that the beginning of 2nd arc is the halfway point.
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:31 am Reply with quote
The very noticeable "This is the start of a new story" shift does not feel very natural to me. The change from the last episodes "everything is mostly fine" to this episodes "everyone is going to die" foreshadowing is very sudden, and it came without any major narrative twist.

For the 2nd episode in the row there has been absolutely no mention of Hiro transforming and the current fan consensus has largely shifted to the belief that Hiro will never transform. Back in episode 12 I questioned the decision to bring that plot point back and now that it appears to be resolved in the exact same way, I question it even more.

There has been very good shows that have gotten away with explaining very little in the first 16 episodes. The most obvious example being Evangelion. The problem is that I feel like DARLING in the FRANXX does not compare very favorably to those shows for multitude of reasons.
青白

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
Sentinel_Wraith wrote:
We also have the Blue Oni/Red Oni overlay. If I've heard correctly, in the original legend the Blue Oni sacrifices itself for the happiness of the Red Oni. Depending on if the Blue Oni is Zero Two's sister or mother, this could provide a way out.

It’s not we haven’t seen that before in Re:Zero......but are you sure it wasn’t the other way around?
Kakorat859

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
I feel as though at this point it is plain to see that this show is just Trigger's attempt at remaking Neon Genesis Evangelion for a more modern audience. While I don't think that is inherently a bad goal, as NGE is one of the greatest anime I have ever seen (just behind Legend of the Galactic Heroes IMO), I think it shows the follies of Studio Trigger. So often in their series, they just reference past material they have done (whether independently or in association with Gainax) while innovating very little and delivering stories that eventually end up getting more praise than they rightfully deserve. This is sort of like what Kill La Kill was to Gurren Lagan, somewhat of a spiritual successor that would inevitably end up becoming disappointing in the end. The story is predictable and delivers not much suspense because of the utter lack of subtlety in their symbols and foreshadowing. The characters are mostly one-note, with only a few exceptions that I can't consider great either as their character development happens way too quickly and does not feel like they are realistic. Take this episode for example. Futoshi's eating disorder was brought in to the episode quickly and lacked any significant foreshadowing, before being dealt with easily in the next few minutes. This is a good example of the main reason why these characters do not feel realistic. All the problems surrounding these characters feel forced and are dealt with far too easily. Take Zero Two and Ichigo's relationship for example. In the events of a week, they went from being wary of each other to being sworn enemies and now to being friends simply due to the course of two events. I'm not saying it is unreasonable for characters to change how they act after an important event, but they don't instantly treat someone they were bent on sending away like they are good friends the day after the event. If anything, they should still be wary of each other and eventually come to trust each other after another round of events and eventually learn to respect one another. I don't necessarily blame the writers for writing this way, as it seems like they are aiming for a bombastic finally when they finally reveal the plan's of the elders which will likely be in the same style as the End of Evangelion movie, however, I will not refrain from faulting the series because of that fact. If that is the case like I suspect, then they should've compensated by removing the earlier episodes that felt unnecessary to the plot and adding in gradual character development later on. This episode proved to me what I suspected of this series, and I am not overjoyed to hear that, unlike if that were to happen to any of you.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
Panayiotis wrote:
The very noticeable "This is the start of a new story" shift does not feel very natural to me. The change from the last episodes "everything is mostly fine" to this episodes "everyone is going to die" foreshadowing is very sudden, and it came without any major narrative twist.
Well after watching a squad blow themselves up and entire plantations get destroyed that they now have major concerns about their future is not surprising. There have been hints in past episodes that the parasites aren't just disposable but are also short lived. The age of the parasites, including the ones that look older, has been hazy and I think that was done on purpose.

Panayiotis wrote:
For the 2nd episode in the row there has been absolutely no mention of Hiro transforming and the current fan consensus has largely shifted to the belief that Hiro will never transform. Back in episode 12 I questioned the decision to bring that plot point back and now that it appears to be resolved in the exact same way, I question it even more.
My guess is that there two possible endings. That Zero Two transforms and goes off to lead the Klaxosaurs and that it will be a tragic love story similar to the one in the picture book. The second possibility is that Hiro transforms as well to go with her.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I mean, this is sort of the standard structure for 2-cour Trigger shows, if you're counting TTGL as a Trigger show. 2/3rds of the way through is generally when the shows tend to drastically shift tones.

There's just, I dunno, a very strong 'paint by numbers' feel to this show. I don't know how exactly everything is going to shake out at this point but I can tell the overall curve, and frankly I just can't really be assed to care about what's going to happen to these people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 124