• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Wasn't Space Dandy the Next Cowboy Bebop?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
All well. I guess I'd just hoped people on this site wouldn't be talking the same way they were four years ago. Pretty much most other places I frequent people have really warmed up to the series. We might have to wait a few more years still, but space Dandy will be remembered fondly with a cult-status. It's already slowly happening. Some of you act like immediate popularity equates to a shows actual quality.

Also, Jose Cruz, you sound like a total idiot with what you're commenting. Disregarding your opinions of Watanabe, saying that he’s "appealing to American audiences with jazz and rap" is just painfully stupid. Sorry to break it to you, but those don't necessarily have specific American roots, nor do they appeal only to Americans. Claiming such is just woefully ignorant to the universal appeal of music. I suppose Lupin III's composer Yuji Ohno was just pandering to western audiences too in the 70's when he composed that score, huh? (Even though it didn't even leave Japan for decades)
Rolling Eyes
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of people read/watched the promos hyping this as Watanabe's new series and got confused. A lot of people seemed to read "From the creators of Cowboy Bebop" as "this is a new Cowboy Bebop", but that's not what that statement means. It just means that Watanabe is a good creator and if you like his stuff you might like this. You could argue that maybe Cartoon Network and other outlets shouldn't have hyped it using that line but, well, you can't argue with the results. Regardless of whether they actually ended up liking it or not, people definitely watched the first Dandy.
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:06 am Reply with quote
If anything, Space Dandy might as well be the next Outlaw Star.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7