• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kakuriyo -Bed & Breakfast for Spirits- (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
Sure Aoi was kidnapped, but it was pretty badass when she decided to hold Nobunaga hostage so Ginji would not be forced to go. And was captured by a girl/woman who pretty much everyone bows down to, so it feels less of males taking away freedom of heroine which we can often see. I kind of wonder what she blondie is up to, whether she just acts on whims, or she has a good or bad longer motive.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote

The episode is like a rehash of the first two of the series, only this time round Aoi does not have the protection of the Tenjin-ya Master and the employees are much nastier. Fortunately the connections she forged at the Tenjin-ya are standing her in good stead for the trials to come.

The Southern Realm was famous for its seafood from an earlier episode and it's not hard to see why this is the case. Traditional seafood cuisine of summertime, but considering Aoi had to work with the lowest quality leftovers she could scrounge with help shows how much her skills have improved.

Orio-ya = 折尾屋 = Bent-tail Inn? A literal translation, but for all its advantages over the Tenjin-ya in terms of location and space the name isn't as good as the one in the North-East. Orio is quite a common Japanese name though, so it's probably not as big a handicap as I think it is.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:18 am Reply with quote
The red guy at this point is such a dick, going so far as holding her pin for ransom, that I am making the decision that it will take a hell lot for him to redeem himself. While it is uncomfortable for Aoi to be stuck here, there is respect that she partially wants to stay so that she is there for Ginji. Still imagine a certain Oni would not be happy to learn how she is being treated, but Aoi still can look after herself.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote

The pacing for this episode is similar to what Aoi experienced early on when she'd just arrived in the North-East land. More youkai introduced as well, the Tsuru-douji twins have that peculiar act of theirs which I've seen before in other series. Fortunately for Aoi they are new to the inn and don't have the prejudice the older employees have towards a human interloper from the human realm.

So the Master has come incognito to the Southern land to give Aoi some logistical and moral support. Although not a complete surprise given his importance to this series, I have a feeling he's hiding something from Aoi about Ginji's task at the fireworks festival. Perhaps viewers will find out more as time passes, meanwhile we get to enjoy seeing him as a fishmonger.

The ame-onna is another rare youkai thrown in, although this one looks like trouble because of her character, upbringing and supernatural abilities. Aoi's picked another typical Japanese summer dish to treat viewers with, so it's down to her skills to keep the spoiled one happy enough to stay up to the festival.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
So I'm one of the people that wasn't a fan of the premise and didn't bother with it. I decided to give it a try after hearing how good it's become. I gotta say that I'm really liking this show. However, I'm disappointed that it decided to do another Aoi gets kidnapped plot especially since it's a result of her being reckless. Couldn't the show just have done something where she decides to tour the other districts in order to get more ideas for the menu at Moonflower?

Moving on, I'm curious to know what exactly the curse is. And I'm going to take a guess and say that the ceremony that keeps getting referred to involves some sort of sacrifice.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:48 am Reply with quote
The crane twins seem to be the first good new people in the new place, I was thinking that they are kind of sweeties, but also entertaining. Also good on the master, and that Aoi could leave and is staying under the idea to help her friend, Ginji.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
And I'm going to take a guess and say that the ceremony that keeps getting referred to involves some sort of sacrifice.

That's my thinking too.

Rain Lady doesn't like natto...so she's going to feed her okra? Well, I suppose that's ok, if what she doesn't like about natto isn't the slime.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote

By now viewers know there's no way Yodoko is going to resist Aoi's cooking. The animators have certainly gone out of their way to go through the gauntlet of typical summer Japanese cuisine, the Teppanyaki they use isn't really served outside of Japan but it's affordable for the masses. This episode made me hungrier than usual, the presentation of the dishes really is first rate.

So plenty of information on the mysterious ceremony Ginji is working on. A big party with lots of rare treasures and fabulous food at very short notice to keep a portable disaster at bay for a hundred years: right now thanks to Aoi the inn has one of the ingredients necessary for success. I get the feeling Matsuba will willingly let go of his clan's treasured alcohol for Aoi's sake, but the other three ingredients might well be the focus for the rest of the season.

The Master is REALLY going at it hard wooing Aoi while he's having a vacation. He didn't really put the moves on when he was on home turf, but without the staff always keeping an eye on him he's free to go all out pursuing Aoi. Ginji might be at a disadvantage now that Aoi barely sees him around. Interestingly the Tenjinya supplier at the Southern land also has the mask, I wonder if that will prove significant later.

Is Ai going to be useful or just comedy relief like the mascot kappa?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I am interested in what Ai might contribute, whether she might stay in Aoi's form or not.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:07 am Reply with quote
I think Ai just blew up the Orio-ya, probably trying to cook. Doesn't anyone notice she's got green hair? oO That aside, if she's "like a baby" how is she supposed to pull off subbing for Aoi?

So with all these merishfolk running around town, should getting a mermaid scale be so hard? Anyway, I'm betting it will be the kappa who scores the scale, since they've made such a drawn out production of him disappearing and turning out to be friends with all the ocean dwellers.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:21 am Reply with quote
I know that mermaids tend to have a particular reputation in Japanese folklore, like their meat having amazing qualities but also incredibly forbidden. So even in the show, they are probably pretty rare or something. I was somewhat wondering if the shell was a scale, based off of its appearance. But chibi kapa managing something could work.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

It's getting annoying that Ranmaru, the monkey, and the some others keep giving Aoi shit when she's saved the inn multiple times already. "Hey, let's be jerks to the person who will most likely be the one to save our asses in the end! What could go wrong?"

I laughed at the Master's comment about Ai being "the fruit of their love". I'm guessing she's the one responsible for the smoke at the end.

The big thing this episode was info on the ceremony. I'm curious as to how the inn gets the info about the treasures. Aoi's going to be involved with the food portion no doubt.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote

No messing about this week. Straight to the liquor and to the reason behind the antagonistic relationship between Hatori and Matsuba. Considering how viewers have seen Matsuba as an indulgent old man with the occasional temper tantrum, Hatori's portrait of family life before his expulsion paints a very different picture. This episode hurts Aoi as well, since she's never reconciled with her mother and it's left a scar on her psyche.

The gameni takes centre stage as the dish of the week. It looks like a summer stew, but I've never personally tasted it so can't comment on it further. At least viewers know there's a huge difference between broth made with bones and without. For an educated guess, it indirectly illustrates just how skilled Aoi has become on deducing the ingredients for recipes based on anecdotes alone.

Two down and two to go. The final scene introduces someone sinister to handle, perhaps he's related in some way to the third ingredient on the big list?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:25 am Reply with quote
I did like how we saw a sort of flawed side to Hatsuba, where before he has mostly felt mostly harmless in how fond he is of Aoi, but that he acted pretty cruelly to his family and his pride has stopped him from properly making amends in owning up to how he acted. Of course Aoi wanting to help was kind of given an order to get the liquor from him, but Aoi understood that if it was so important, she had no right to try and force him, it had to be Hatori. And they had to realize that the fight the two of them were having, over I guess loving mothers, was cruel to the likes of Aoi who was not so lucky.

I like how this ended, on an emotional level. Master has earned some brownie points, was funny when Aoi clipped his nails.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18

I stand corrected about Ai causing the smoke.

Nice to see Odanna and Aoi bond more. It was kind of adorable how excited he was to cook with her.

Matsuba and Hatori are alike in certain ways which is probably why they butt heads all the time. Their concern for Aoi and her pain shows how much they both care for her. It's not very often we see Aoi being upfront about her feelings with how her mother abandoned her. Also seems like she's warming up to the idea of marrying Odanna.

That final scene though with that creep. Wonder if he's involved with the ceremony somehow?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6