• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Could Patreon Be "Better For The Industry" Than Crunchyroll?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Skeptic wrote:
Just in case nobody knew, Digibro made a response and both Jason and Digi kindly responded to each other. I'm tired of all this unfair hate towards Digibro, guy seems genuinely nice

The question isn't whether he is nice or not - but whether he is well informed or not. The answer to that question is "mostly not". He's also worked very hard to become a very polarizing person and a lightning rod for debate and controversy, and now reaps the "rewards" for that work.

Or, to put it another way, it's quite possible for someone to be "genuinely nice" and to also be not very well regarded. This is in no way "unfair".
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
bigivel wrote:

Where do you think the higher wages come from? .

Higher wages come from distributing profits to those responsible for the work that created them. In this case that would be the animators. However capitalism has this big problem of hoarding profits to the top end and not paying those that do the actual work that makes them money. I'd really suggest you read more than Ayn Rand before trying to dictate how anime production (or any economy) works. I mean your earlier food service comment is completely laughable, as any chef would be happy to tell you how important everyone in the kitchen, and the front end of a restaurant too, is to providing meals.

Certainly any chef worth his salt would admit that everyone on staff is important. But he'd also laugh in your face if you suggested that the line cooks (the animators) were responsible for creating anything. They cook what they're told, when the customer orders it. Maybe in some restaurants they might suggest a dish, but ultimately it's the chef's decisions whether or not that dish goes on the menu. It's the chef that shapes the vision and develops the elements that attract the paying customer. The line cook then executes the grunt work that translates that vision and those elements into food on a plate.

Or, to put it another way, nobody but his family and close friends go to a fancy restaurant because Billy is line cooking. Nobody but his family and close friends watches an anime because Sato Someguy did some in-betweens on Ep 5. We go to fancy restaurants because the chef (famous or not) has created something interesting. We watch anime (in part) because a big name was present near the top of the creative chain.

And that's the problem with the Marxist theory of production you espouse - it rests on the broken assumption that value is only created by grunt level work. It dismisses the idea that the creative and decision making processes that create and direct that work have any value. In the real world, it's very plain that it's those higher level processes and the people involved in them bring in the viewers.

I'm not saying Capitalism doesn't have deep problems, I'm saying that Marxism has them as well.

(As to the risk vs. reward issues Marxism also dismisses, that's a discussion for another time.)
TheArsonAut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
TheArsonAut wrote:
The picture is so grainy it's like watching a DVD from the 80's

...So... Which one do you think this is guys? "Kids these days don't even know what 'VHS' was." or "Kids these days don't even know a 'LaserDisc' was."?

DVD of a movie from the 1980s. That's what I meant to say.

You'd be surprised how many look terrible even on 4k. Especially if they're foreign.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:50 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:

The thing is Crunchyroll could easily license another 5+ series for the amount of money they are going to put into their own show which is paid by users who just want to STREAM anime. In the article it claims "that they do try to license literally everything" but instead of doing that they are blowing tons of money while knowing full-well about the hate they would receive. Based on the fact that they disabled comments they expected the outcome and clearly don't care about their users concerns.

Or or or maybe they didn't want to constantly keep being bombarded by a bunch of petty and entitled adults half of whom still watch illegal subs (some of which they can legally watch on CR) getting mad at them for doing something that really isn't much the issue it's being made out to be.

But hey people love their hot takes and feeling like they accomplished something they didn't even do.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
your fly is down wrote:

Did i miss anything

Give money to the Animator Dormitory Project.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:07 am Reply with quote
Crowdfunding can be an excellent way for animation studios to raise money for projects. Little Witch Academia began as a government funded short then it evolved into a crowndfunded movie and finally into a full blown TV show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:26 am Reply with quote
What I would like to see but know it might to expensive: A Kickstarter for a 24-epi. ONA anime with the intent of a simuldub, with the surplus meanings each animator takes home an extra $250 in their figurative pockets.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:01 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
What I would like to see but know it might to expensive: A Kickstarter for a 24-epi. ONA anime with the intent of a simuldub, with the surplus meanings each animator takes home an extra $250 in their figurative pockets.

That would put it in the top ten highest grossing Kickstarter campaigns ever. (Around six million USD using Justin's numbers.) There's no anime franchise in creation popular enough to get that kind of support.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:42 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

That would put it in the top ten highest grossing Kickstarter campaigns ever. (Around six million USD using Justin's numbers.) There's no anime franchise in creation popular enough to get that kind of support.

Anything that popular could probably be funded conventionally.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:26 am Reply with quote
His response to this article kind of dumbfounded me but I don't know why I was surprised at all by the fact that he admittedly says he doesn't know what he's talking about and doesn't really care. How much do you have to donate to his patreon to get him to shave?
uguu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote
supersqueak wrote:
His response to this article kind of dumbfounded me but I don't know why I was surprised at all by the fact that he admittedly says he doesn't know what he's talking about and doesn't really care. How much do you have to donate to his patreon to get him to shave?

He groveled because a corporate person was nice to him and he thinks he has something to gain from it. On Twitter he's still saying he was right - so he keeps backpedaling and uh... frontpedaling.

Does literally everything CR licenses get 30 thousand dollars per episode? Even old obscure shows like Machiko-sensei? And even if so, doesn't that only confirm Digi's point about how only the big shows get a lot of money? because if most of the time, only the stuff CR KNOW will make a lot of money back gets 200 thousand, meaning stuff that doesn't need extra help, how does watching your favorite shows on CR particularly help them?

Edit: wait lmao, in retrospect Justin's wording doesn't even imply CR themselves pay that much; he just gave out some numbers based on his own industry experience:

Quote:
Digibro also completely ignores the fact that, while most Crunchyroll titles do pay "back-end" royalties based on how many people watch, the vast majority of the money they, or any other overseas distributor, contributes to the production is in the advance payment for the rights, also known as a "minimum guarantee." These can run from US$30,000 all the way up to US$200,000 PER EPISODE. Crunchyroll then builds in additional payments based on viewership, on top of that.

It's really depressing to see Digibro say "YEAH I WAS WRONG :'C" in the video based on something so minor. He's very likely only doing this so he can become friends with ANN and get more money.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:35 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

It would be FAR far higher. Using Justin's numbers from the article the episodes alone would cost $6,840,000. That doesn't include the costs of dubbing and it doesn't include the $250 "bonus" either.

I don't know how many animators work on the average show, but for the sake of discussion I looked up Madoka Magica TV in the encyclopedia here. There are roughly 240 people credited on "Key animation" alone! That's completely ignoring all sorts of other jobs, like Preview illustrations, planners, photography, In-betweeners, background artists, 2nd key animators, etc, etc. The list is EASILY 400 people with those others included. And we're still ignoring producers, directors (there are 27 "Animation Directors" alone!), voice actors/actresses, storyboard people, the music composers, sound effects people, or any of the major roles like the series director, scriptwriter, etc. Pegging the number at 400 is extremely conservative.

400 x 250 = $100,000. So we're pretty dang close to 7 million once we factor in the bonuses. Of course any sort of crowdfunding service is going to take a slice of the pie, so to end up with 7 mil after all is said and done people would need to pitch in a lot more. And oh yeah: Madoka Magica TV is only a 12 episode series. Double those bonus numbers for one of 24 episode length....

Does a person who animated work for multiple episodes get paid his bonus just once? Or does he get that bonus for each episode that he worked on? If the latter, our numbers go up yet again. I only counted each person once, not once for each episode they did. The numbers aren't even close to working for a series of that kind of length.
uguu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:01 am Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis' claim that Crunchyroll gave AT LEAST 30 thousand dollars for every episode of everything they licensed is IMPOSSIBLE. Since their inception (nearly a decade ago) they only gave 100 million and they have over 900 anime.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
uguu wrote:
Justin Sevakis' claim that Crunchyroll gave AT LEAST 30 thousand dollars for every episode of everything they licensed is IMPOSSIBLE. Since their inception (nearly a decade ago) they only gave 100 million and they have over 900 anime.

I think you misunderstood was Justin is talking about. The $30,000+ figure is not what they paid to license old shows. It's what they pay to get the license for NEW shows, before those shows are even made. Justin is talking about 'advance payments for rights'. Advance payments are made before a show is even produced. That makes them a bit of a gamble. If the show does great the CR got a hell of a deal. If the show is unpopular then they overpaid. Remember the whole point of the article is to discuss funding of new productions specifically. None of it is talking about licensing extant shows.

Licensing older shows is a different thing entirely, and depends on how the show has performed. If it's already out there are viewership numbers available, sales data, etc. A popular show is expensive to license, a somewhat obscure older show would cost very little.
uguu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:21 am Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
uguu wrote:

I think you misunderstood was Justin is talking about. The $30,000+ figure is not what they paid to license old shows. It's what they pay to get the license for NEW shows, before those shows are even made. Justin is talking about 'advance payments for rights'. Advance payments are made before a show is even produced. That makes them a bit of a gamble. If the show does great the CR got a hell of a deal. If the show is unpopular then they overpaid. Remember the whole point of the article is to discuss funding of new productions specifically. None of it is talking about licensing extant shows.

Licensing older shows is a different thing entirely, and depends on how the show has performed. If it's already out there are viewership numbers available, sales data, etc. A popular show is expensive to license, a somewhat obscure older show would cost very little.

Maybe that's the case with the shows CR co-produced but that's not even VAGUELY close to being most shows. He also said "any other overseas distributor"; Justin works for Discotek, who only license existing shows after they're made.

And how can we know the amount of money they give per episode from Justin who doesn't even work with CR? If it's big, why don't a lot of the shows listed here http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/12/30/crunchyrolls-2017-co-productions even list Crunchyroll in the credits? I brought this up to Miles in the middle of a conversation and he suddenly stopped replying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11