• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Could Patreon Be "Better For The Industry" Than Crunchyroll?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
-SP- wrote:
Did you even bother to read the rest? I'll assume you didn't. They are streaming site first and foremost, instead of dumping money into something no-one asked for why not license more Anime?

Cause original content has worked out so badly for Netflix, amirite?

They knew full well that the majority of their users didn't want this, this is based on the fact that they had disabled comments and likes/dislikes on the HGS trailer the moment it was uploaded.
As far as Netflix is concerned when it comes to Anime look at Neo Yokio and the recent Death Note movie, and you will get your answer.

Last edited by -SP- on Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
The original article wasn't about High Guardian Spice, so discussion of High Guardian Spice is off-topic for this thread. Keep it on-topic, folks.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Ashley Hakker wrote:
-SP- wrote:
Did you even bother to read the rest? I'll assume you didn't. They are streaming site first and foremost, instead of dumping money into something no-one asked for why not license more Anime?

Cause original content has worked out so badly for Netflix, amirite?

They knew full well that the majority of their users didn't want this, this is based on the fact that they had disabled comments and likes/dislikes on the HGS trailer the moment it was uploaded.
As far as Netflix is concerned when it comes to Anime look at Neo Yokio and the recent Death Note movie, and you will get your answer.

First, a hiy visible collection of screaming children on Twitter does not make up 'most' of the users. The actual response to it is not as visible. This is also why you can see more niche anime get a lot of attention from reviewers and the more visible members of the fandom but actually perform disappointingly. What people are vocal.about doesn't actually define the broader opinion.

Secondly, NeoYokio was great fun, I had a blast watching it with friends and I hope for a second season.

PS, Netflix didn't make Neo Yokio, it was commissioned by Fox's ADHD. Netflix merely bought it after production was complete and it was shelved by Fox.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
meiam wrote:
Digibro is one of the few person I think actually increase there production from before to after getting on patreon, most people I followed seemed to drop there production output after they got a patreon, and some practically stopped making the content people liked (this guy, spoony, who was making video of game and obscure movie started doing wrestling stuff right after getting on patreon). So I don't think it would be a good idea...

At the same time a "donate straight to the anime studio" button would be nice on streaming service. Don't see why you couldn't do that. I do think anime production could use a good shakeup these days. I don't understand how half the stuff that get produce ends up getting greenlighted, both things I like and dislike. But at the same time I have a feeling version #387 of "guy get reincarnated into video game and get a bunch of slave girl" probably makes way more money than the interesting stuff, so maybe it's better it doesn't change much.

How about those studios who did in-betweening, backgrounds, finish animation, 2nd key animation, etc.?

Don't those studios get payed directly by the studio that outsources that work to them?

The point is that these studios will not receive additional benefit from the "Donate to the studio" approach, like what Digibro proposes.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, boy! This Hey Answerman article is taking a very insightful and potentially scary direction, depending on whatever chain reaction starts. I'm not going to add much regarding what was said about the matter of Crunchyroll, but I do want to echo a few tweet threads from certain people regarding the matter of Studio Trigger when they launched their Patreon. I don't really have any myself to say, btw, I just thought Kevn, Canipa, and AnimeAjay's two cents would be worth some food-for-thought.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why CR having bad shows is even an issue. Just don't watch them. Why does Digibro even care? Does he think they intentionally license bad shows instead of good ones? Licensing costs aren't equal, and all those mediocre to bad shows on there (which some people do still watch) are probably a small drop in the bucket compared to the expected hits of the season.

I'd even go as far as saying that I think CR (and the other legal streaming options) trying to offer everything played an important role in the decline of fansubs (not talking these stream rip groups) which is pushing more fans to legal options. If you start making fans go to torrents again for a chunk of their content, you just risk them staying to download the rest of the shows they watch while they're there.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I don't get why CR having bad shows is even an issue. Just don't watch them. Why does Digibro even care? Does he think they intentionally license bad shows instead of good ones? Licensing costs aren't equal, and all those mediocre to bad shows on there (which some people do still watch) are probably a small drop in the bucket compared to the expected hits of the season.

I'd even go as far as saying that I think CR (and the other legal streaming options) trying to offer everything played an important role in the decline of fansubs (not talking these stream rip groups) which is pushing more fans to legal options. If you start making fans go to torrents again for a chunk of their content, you just risk them staying to download the rest of the shows they watch while they're there.

Definitely a thing. I mean, Burn Up Excess isn't by any means a good show, but it was a formative one for me and I feel happy knowing I have the old ADV discs on my shelf.

The whole "only stream good shows!" thing veers way too close to the "Only stream shows we find acceptable!" mentality a lot of toxic fans have.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I always figured what the reason they have shows like Eromanga Sensei or whatever 'trashy' shows come out is from licensing deals being like, 'okay, you want this highly anticipated series? Well you have to stream this one too besides it'. I'm not sure if that's how the streaming business works, but from what I've heard from some voice actor panels that tends to be a thing in general localization efforts. Have to take the crap along with the good stuff. Just because the mass fandom doesn't care about these shows doesn't mean that people don't watch them at all or that they're wasted resources.

While I'm not happy either about CR's original cartoon (and might be on the edge of hoping it bombs so they get the message) I'm not going to be pulling my subscription and crying about how they betrayed us.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Looking at those Patreon numbers, Digibro's proposed solution doesn't sound feasible at all, and even if a project would manage to get fund I don't think it would gain mainstream attention.
Regarding Crunchyroll, I've never used it but I can understand people's complaints about still using Flash and the quality of its subtitles, though at least they recently produced dubs for some shows in other languages, although I heard that some shows are blocked in some regions. I do have a Netflix account, and while it's not a perfect service, there're some series I enjoyed, but I don't know if it'll have a greater effect in the industry.
All in all, I think that the number of western fans that would like to help studios directly is way to small to make a difference.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Crunchyroll isn't a perfect company. Their technical development is not where it needs to be: its website is among the last major streaming sites to still use the increasingly deprecated Adobe Flash (likely due to the difficulty of developing styled subtitle support in HTML5, but that's just speculation on my part). Their translations aren't always as polished as they should be.
Which is why everyone was made about that show they are making, I'm not saying that all these problems could be solved with the money used for the show, but at the very least it would bring us miles closer to solving them.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Because people have this bizarre idea that less quantity would equate to more quality, when in reality it just leads to fewer choices. If you look back at the 80s and 90s what we get in one season today is how much anime was made in a year back then.

I watched the video in question and he's not even talking about licensing, he wants actual anime studios to fold so they'll come chasing western money and make "good" shows. This is just the "Japan should be catering to US, not those otaku" argument reworked.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Akamaru_Inu wrote:
I always figured what the reason they have shows like Eromanga Sensei or whatever 'trashy' shows come out is from licensing deals being like, 'okay, you want this highly anticipated series? Well you have to stream this one too besides it'. I'm not sure if that's how the streaming business works, but from what I've heard from some voice actor panels that tends to be a thing in general localization efforts. Have to take the crap along with the good stuff. Just because the mass fandom doesn't care about these shows doesn't mean that people don't watch them at all or that they're wasted resources
That was a thing during the VHS and DVD era, where the show had already been out, I'm not sure about now. There must be shows out there that they thought would do great and then ends up doing badly, and others that they weren't confident about that turned out great.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I’m guessing he didn’t receive an invite to this year’s Crunchyroll Expo, huh Smile

I’ve been aware of Digibro since I fell into the anime blogging scene back in 2009-10, way back before he changed his name & vanished, only to reappear as a minor reddit or 4chan celeb. My opinion of him hasn’t greatly changed since then; i.e. a smart, but socially messy individual, with interesting opinions in a strictly critical sense but plenty of uncomfortable interests & attitudes.

Discovering he had actually made a name on youtube a few years ago was a huge surprise, not least because I found many of his videos analysing shows among the best anime video content around at the time. I still think his videos discussing the likes of Girlish Number & Hunter X Hunter are fantastic watches, although I quickly learned to stay away from his alt-accounts, as they tended to devolve into meandering drunken rants.

Unfortunately over the last year or so I’ve found his personality seems to have overshadowed the actual content he was initially critiquing. It became especially noticeable when he made a fairly ill-informed video about anime streaming, in which he also talked about watching the first link that showed up on a google search, legal or no, which was a pretty & shitty blasé attitude to advocate to a young and impressionable fanbase. It was also only a few weeks after being invited to the first Chrunchyoll Expo which also felt like an oddly disrespectful decision made in bad faith. Since then it feels like he’s consolidated his audience into a smaller group of deeply cynical and mistrustful fringe-fans & changed his content into more general social rants about the state of the industry & fandom, with much of what I’ve seen coming across as factually-incorrect, long-winded justifications for his own outlook (both his streaming and physical media posts are perfect examples). I didn’t even bother to watch his recent Crunchyroll rants, but they sound on par for the course with recent videos.

It’s a shame because even now when he focuses specifically on professionally edited anime criticism, his videos are often pretty good (I legitimately liked his recent Land of the Lustrous post). I’ve long internally made the joke of calling him the Kanye West or the anisphere, although perhaps Elon Musk is now more accurate; i.e. he’s intelligent on an analytical front but nowhere near as socially wise as he makes out, constantly trying to promote self-serving perceived truths, rather than accept or understand how business actually works.

Tl;dr: If you want some interesting critical discussions on anime, by all means give Digi a shot, but if you want to understand how the industry and fandom operates, check out the Sakuga Blog or ask an industry professional. And if you want life advice, quickly pull a 180.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Great article, Justin!

I really like the fact that Crunchyroll licenses some "unpopular" content. Sure, there's a lot of stuff on there that I have zero interest in. But that's OK, because their decision to license a large number of lesser known shows means they are more likely to have obscure shows that I am be interested in.

This is an excellent point. Back when I lived in Crunchyroll's "worldwide ex Asia" region, shows like Humanity has Declined and Polar Bear Cafe was part of what made a Crunchyroll subscription so worthwhile.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Can we all agree that the real problem here is YouTube's recommendation algorithm and its belief that if you watch one video on a topic, you want to see twenty videos of a guy screaming about that subject?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11