• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Were Anime Budgets So Big In The 80s?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I recently watched Five Star Stories, an hour long mecha film from the 80's, and it is one of the gorgeous films I've ever watched. The fact that sequels were never made annoys me.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
My question is why did these studios get so much money to make these OVA's, movies and TV shows

I grew up in the 80s and starting watching anime in earnest maybe right at 1990, so it included a lot of the 80s stuff. And from my recollection I would scratch TV shows off that list. The OVAs and films, but most definitely the OVAs, seemed big budget animation wise, but TV shows on the other hand were pretty crappy budget wise. Ranma 1/2 and Kimagure Orange Road episodes like the rest of the shows all took shortcuts and economic animation measures whenever they could.

I expect that TV productions largely had existing funding arrangements that new investors didn't really have any way to barge into, and existing investors largely chose to find additional projects to put their extra money into, rather than just pumping more into existing investments (though some possibly did up the funding on those a modest amount). But possibly more importantly, adding money doesn't give them any more time to work on things than they'd otherwise have. The insanely tight scheduling on TV anime production is well documented, and the industry in the 80s had far fewer tricks to do things quickly without apparent drops in quality.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I recently watched Five Star Stories, an hour long mecha film from the 80's, and it is one of the gorgeous films I've ever watched. The fact that sequels were never made annoys me.

Five Star Stories is indeed fantastic. But it's easy to see how it got such a huge budget. FSS is not very well known in the west, but it was a hugely successful manga with a massive cast of characters. It certainly would have been an attractive target for investors.

One thing that I find curious is that there were many excellent (IMHO, anyway) adaptations of popular manga made during the late 80's and early 90's which had a little animation made but they only covered a tiny bit of the manga source material. I can't help but wonder why they were not continued. Examples include Battle Angel, 3x3 Eyes, etc. I'd even throw the original Ah My Goddess in that list. (Yes, I know there were various sequels made to AMG but that was not until many years later) Some shows were continued, perhaps even as TV series (e.g. You're Under Arrest!), but so many were not.

I had heard that 3x3 Eyes was offered a TV series multiple times but the creator declined because the violence had to be toned town for a TV broadcast. I can't help but wonder what, exactly, stopped the various others?
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

The AWO podcast folks went into how this was financed for a couple of minutes in their review. Evidently it was a vanity project of a wealthy gentleman, and when he ran into complications, that was the end of that. That is as best as I can remember, it's been a while since I listened to that show.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
Not to drag this further off-course, but I wonder if this economic growth/reaction was also what prompted the narrative in Toho's 1991 film Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, which involved time travelers interfering with Godzilla and Japan to attempt stopping the nation from becoming a destined world superpower.

Oh, a TAD: Mad
Japan's China-like economic boom in the 80's--before the bust--had created a lot of overconfident xenophobia, at the same time as Shintaro Ishihara's book "The Japan That Can Say No" tried to spin the future Abe-era wave of neo-militaristic nationalism and paranoia at being the "slave" of Western powers.

Needless to say, that didn't create much good feeling with the US, as we still had no clue about Japanese culture for most of the 80's, and only knew about the samurai, the Yakuza, nameless penguin-flocks of loyal corporate salarymen that business negotiators saw, and, of course, old WWII-Pacific grudges.

AiddonValentine wrote:
And yes, Japanophobia was RAMPANT during that era. Just looking at a lot of film and other pop culture made during the time, casual racism and Japanophobia were common. They have a habit of depicting all Japanese people as ruthless Yakuza or some other stereotype. Heck, cyberpunk especially seems to have Japanophobia and Orientalism baked right into it. It's why it's kind of uncomfortable watching a bunch of 80s media nowadays.

Mostly, people on the West Coast--where much of the US media images were coming from--were seeing US corporations bought out by Japan investors, creating the image that Japan was out to "take over the world"....again. Michael Crichton's "Rising Sun" is particularly a product of its decade, and the era certainly wasn't helped by the aforementioned overconfident Japan claiming that they WERE going to.

The 80's saw a lot of goofy deconstruction of "the Enemy"--Just look up what people back in the 80's thought "Sumo wrestling" was, since the image of a big 600-lb. belligerent, bellowing blob with a samurai haircut was just made for zeitgeist.
Even though Robotech, Star Blazers and Voltron were airing on (cheap) local UHF stations in '84-'85, and catching the first generation of high-school kids that would later take it to the college campuses, that just added to the joke, as most audiences still saw the shows as cheap, goofy foreign imports--rather like those World Masterpiece Theater cartoons on Nickelodeon--and laughed at the bad Harmony Gold dubbing and "yap-yap-grr" mouth movements.

Cyberpunk, OTOH, was mostly influenced by Blade Runner in 1982, depicting a San Francisco-influenced southern California that was pretty much all Japantown and Chinatown by the 21st century. That not only created the "Kanji is cool!" image, but also the idea that if it's the future, there should be neon signs and noodle stands on every back alley, just like Tokyo and Hong Kong.
Vadara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:59 pm Reply with quote
If Yakuza 0 is any indicator, 80's Japan was wild, to say the least.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
To be perfectly honest, I think having high-budget animation is the only real reason to really watch the vast majority of the OVAs and movies for the 80's Boom era now because the occasional gem like the early Ghibli movies, The Wings of Honneamise, Gunbuster and Gundam 0080 aside, they were forgettable at best and and outright edgy garbage like M.D. Gist at their often worst. Far from being dark times in my view, I think the 1990's up to the present day have been far better for anime despite lower budgets and economic troubles.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote
At the highest point of bubble economy in late 1980s, Japanese college seniors were invited by perspective companies to visit their resort-like training facilities away from large cities, with all expenses covered PLUS lots of valuable souvenirs, trying to persuade them to sign the lifetime employment contract before competing companies do the same (some of those resorts have no means of communication for students).

This overheated boom was unthinkable to those post-bubble graduates (Shūshoku Hyōgaki or "ice-age of employment" from 1993 to 2005) and now their children (experiencing "the new ice-age of employment" after 2010) as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:52 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
This overheated boom was unthinkable to those post-bubble graduates (Shūshoku Hyōgaki or "ice-age of employment" from 1993 to 2005) and now their children (experiencing "the new ice-age of employment" after 2010) as well.

Since some people have said that Nissin Food Products does stress interview, that commercial by Nissin Food may be a 'boomerang', a self-deprecating joke, or a caution to students who try to get jobs at Nissin.

By the way, is your having mentioned a Nissin commercial related to the broadcasting of Manpuku, whose hero is modelled upon the founder of Nissin Andō Momofuku, who had been a Taiwanese?

BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

If The Five Star Stories were to be known for just one thing, it would be gorgeous visuals... if they were known for just two things, it would be gorgeous visuals and staggeringly incoherent franchise mismanagement. Don't even get me started on how poorly they handled the manga's English-language release (the easiest way to get it was through the Protoculture Addicts Magazine webstore).

It's definitely resulted in some of the best fan-produced model kits I've ever seen, though. I started work on a resin Knight of Gold earlier this week, and the detail on it is absolutely stunning.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:00 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Quote:
Anime was one of those dumb investments in the '80s. Toy companies launched new lines of toys with break-neck speed, each one with an accompanying anime they'd sponsor -- the content of the show almost didn't matter. ("You want to make a dark, dystopian series with heavy environmentalist themes? Sure, just show our robots a lot!")

That sounds a lot like OUR animation in the mid-80's, when Saturday morning and afternoon-strip were still king, Disney was considered a "dying" 70's dinosaur, and 85's "Black Cauldron" started the funeral services.
FCC regulations about toy commercials made it more profitable to turn a toy into a TV series, and that was the image of animation from "He-Man" in 1983 to the Disney Renaissance in 1989.
Say "cartoons", and people immediately pictured the Smurfs, Care Bears and Transformers, and more importantly, producers did too: Animation had to be shown to everyone, since they had to take no chances and sell as many of those Smurfs, Care Bears, Transformers, and He-Man action figures as possible.

Then, in the 90's, cable started competing, network budgets were slashed, US TV animators turned "hip" and deconstructive, with cheap stylized designs and sniggering in-jokes about their own profession, and "quality" animation went back to the movies.
That's pretty much what happened in Japan in the 00's after the 80's boom Justin cites, except that it wasn't the animators hating themselves or their 60's TV childhoods, it was the mainstream grownups hating the TV fans. Anime fell into a "secret fan niche"--just like the freakish, unappealing secret-niche US cable cartoons--and never became the money machine it was back when it was a commercial giant.

And as for OVA's, yes, that was back when late-80's OVA animation was reserved for the R-rated sex-and-splatter, that no sponsor would dare allow on the same channel as their big merchandise hit. So it had to go and find its own secret anime niche...That was how we got them so cheaply for US import during the campus-underground "garage" birth of anime in the late-80's: Nobody else wanted them.

And don't forget that much of the animation from America in the 80s that wasn't done by Filmation or shipped to Taiwan, Korea or Australia was done in Japan (think early DiC, Transformers, Centurions, DuckTales and the like. Even the Smurfs had one of its seasons co-animated by Toei).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:06 am Reply with quote
@BodaciousSpacePirate

Actually the Five Star Stories manga wasn't all that hard to obtain. I got it without difficulty from my local comic shop as it came out. Granted, I had to preorder it each time it was solicited in Previews but that was because the shop had quit carrying manga by that time. My only problem is that they just quit offering it after the first 10 volumes.

My understanding was that Toy Press, the publisher was owned by Nagano and that FSS was its only product in the US market.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:29 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@BodaciousSpacePirate

Actually the Five Star Stories manga wasn't all that hard to obtain. I got it without difficulty from my local comic shop as it came out. Granted, I had to preorder it each time it was solicited in Previews but that was because the shop had quit carrying manga by that time. My only problem is that they just quit offering it after the first 10 volumes.

My understanding was that Toy Press, the publisher was owned by Nagano and that FSS was its only product in the US market.

You were very lucky, then, as I had tremendous trouble finding anyone who would carry it, and so I only ended up with 18 of the 26 books they split the first 10 volumes into. It's nice to know that other people had less difficulties, since it's a great series.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
I think it's funny to watch some movies from the 80s where people thought that Japan would be a major cultural and economic power in the future like Back to the Future II, Blade Runner and Robocop III. The only major Japanese buyout of an American company that still seems weird to me is Columbia Pictures, seeing the Sony logo before a movie starts and ends looks so out of place beacause I always see Sony as a tech company.
Speaking of anime, it seems that the 80s was the only time for people like Miyazaki and Takahata to open their own studio (and even then I heard that they had problems to secure funds), how OVAs become popular and the sheer variety of mecha shows like the ones made by Sunrise. But it looks that Akira was the end of the anime boom of the 80s, even though it was an ambitious project I heard it bombed at the box office. In my opinion anime entered into a bit of a dark age until Evangelion arived in '95 and then the industry exploded in the late '90s when shows like Pokémon were broadcasted worldwide only a few years after it aired in Japan.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bitcoin would be a modern equivalent

Where did the forum moderators hurt you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3