• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna's Civil Case Against Funimation, Voice Actress Monica Rial, Ron Toye Dismissed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
KitKat1721 wrote:
He brought all of this on himself, can't say I'm not pretty pleased with how its all turned out (not that I'm surprised).

Now I just sincerely hope the on-going harassment targeted towards Jamie Marchi, Monica Rial, their VO industry supporters, reporters covering the story, etc... dies down to a significant degree. Its awful that some people are so delusional that even this verdict will not sway them.

It's just human nature, sad to say. People have a hard time admitting when they're wrong and look for excuses where ever they can find them. There will be many who say "Funimation/Sony bribed the judge" or "Monica and Jamie got special treatment for being women" and so on and so on. If nothing else some of these excuses/lies, will be fun to read, it's just sad that some people actually believe them.

I’m seeing a lot of calls to wait for appeals. The defenders are living in a fantasy world. They are resorting to how the judge is known for being incompetent and how new evidence won’t be needed because it’s already there, Chupp just refused to hear it! I don’t know if they refuse to read the accounts of what actually happened last month or what but these people are refusing to face the situation.

Last edited by DirtyCircle on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
All that can be said is this.

Fatality

Funimation, Jaime Marchi, Monica Rial, Ron Toye Wins

Flawless Victory. Cool
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
From beloved voice actor to predator. How the mighty have fallen. Shame, too.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
All that can be said is this.

Fatality

Funimation, Jaime Marchi, Monica Rial, Ron Toye Wins

Flawless Victory. Cool

They won in such a way that its too obscene for Mortal Kombat to depict, it was righteous.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:54 pm Reply with quote
“I hear your point that your evaluation is that they didn’t have evidence. But the judge has to view it to determine it.”

This is an example of the logic being used to justify waiting for appeals. It doesn’t matter if the judge threw out claims due to lack of evidence, supposedly it is all there but he was bias. The defenders refuse to entertain the idea that Beard was terrible and couldn’t do his job. I even quoted Beard when he said he wasn’t listening!
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Nice. Glad this is finally over. Vic screwed himself big time and now he’s gotta pay. And since I doubt he’ll get any noteworthy roles in the future his convention appearances will slowly dwindle and even those can’t support his ego (and bank account) anymore. My hope is he’ll slowly disappear from anything anime related including cons because I can’t stand how people are still inviting him to them.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I saw this coming from a mile away. There was absolutely no way in hell Mignogna would have won this case by a landslide. Not even a little bit. I had no doubt at all that Rial, Marchi, Toye, and anyone who testified against him weren't putting him on trial for kicks and giggles and deliberately trying to ruin his career. Rial, Marchi, and everyone else involved made it clear that all they wanted was justice and for Mignogna to take responsibility for his deplorable actions, nothing else. They weren't out to lynch the guy just to get his goat or to steal his career, like some idiots have been claiming. I can only hope they manage to heal and find peace after this, since they've all gone through so much already. Although, knowing some, they'll probably continue to harass and bully them in Vic's defense and claim they ruined a good man's life.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Glad the abuser tactic of scaring his victims with lawsuits,ended up blowing up in his face. Hope he felt it was worth it.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
As much as I've enjoyed his performances (he was good in FMA, no questions asked, and he wasn't half bad as Folken in Escaflowne), it's disappointing to hear about all of this. Then again, sometimes great artists can be messed up people, too. (case in point: Mozart.)
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

Yeah, Vic should have settled yesterday, he really should have because even though there was no chance in hell he would be walking away with the defendant's money, he could have settled to pay their costs AND have it privately hidden from the public. It could have saved him the humiliation of losing spectacularly.

I doubt any of the defendants would have accepted that. Shutting down his troll army would've had to've been part of any settlement, and at the very least that would mean making clear that he's the loser, if not an outright admission of guilt.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
So, what's next for Ol' Vic? Try to squeeze more moolah from the "defenders of Western Civilization" brigade (YouTube grifters and conspiracy theorists)? Maybe do niche voice over where he doesn't have to work with any other actors? Start doing voice acting seminars like his pal Chuck?

Perhaps we'll be lucky enough that he just quietly disappears.

Good riddance. I never even thought he was a good voice actor to begin with. He's an even worse person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
It sucked for me to find out that childhood comic heroes as Chuck Dixon or Frank Miller turned out to be scum or that Michael Jackson, Kevin Spacey and so on are pedophiles but I have to deal with it. You can equally deal with Broly being recast. And watch this one while you are at it. Cancel Culture Isn't A Thing, You Snowflakes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szybEhqUmVI
The word you are looking for is called "consequences".

Uh, it sounds like your definition of "scum" is they outwardly speak against censorship and political correctness or are just conseravtive. At least, that's the only reason I can think for saying Chuck Dixon is "scum" I mean, considering Stan Lee was called scum andoutdated for saying Spider-man should always be a straight white guy I think the bar for being cancelled in comics is fairly low.

Big agree dude. Vic may have lost this case, but that doesn't mean I can't still fantasize about how big and strong he is, or about how much money he makes, or about how many women he sleeps with compared to the people who talk trash about him. PC culture will never stop me from visualizing Vic's glistening biceps lifting a giant wad of cash, or from entering rp chatrooms where my friends pretend to be both Vic Mignogna and my dad. I'd love to see the people who care about social justice stop me from completing my 30 chapter fanfic that sets the moral record straight, wherein noted voice actor Vic Mignon runs rhetorical circles around the conniving politically degenerate women out to get him.

My friend I'd love to see it, but they simply can't do it. And cheers to that!
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
I thought the Hawaii trip was for a con.

They're not mutually exclusive or anything You're going to Hawaii for business, so you bring along your friends and family and do leisure time on the free days. That's pretty common.

ranran-001 wrote:
Yeah Vic went to Hawaii for a con appearance, there were far better guests than him on the list.

Anyone who thinks that Vic is going to be fine is in denial here. The guy lives in California in a city where housing is expensive, for the most part Vic has relied on his acting roles to stay relevant AND to keep him on the convention scene.

But given that he won't be getting much of any acting gigs, AND the lawsuit exposed him as someone who sexually harassed women and girls at conventions, those convention organizers are going to have to make a decision as to whether it is wise to continue inviting the guy. Clearly the man is a liability now.

He was recently invited to like 3 more cons so most people don't seem to really care Both sides of this "cultural war" have over hyped how big a deal this lawsuit is. Most normal people aren't going to care one way or another. I mean, just think about it. While everyone was fighting on forums and ranting on social media arguing about this crap, Vic was sipping Mai Tais and going scuba diving. Some people are invested in this to a very unhealthy degree.

getchman wrote:
Which is both amusing and stupid since that wasnt her. She was assigned to a different show that season

I don't think it was ever confirmed who wrote Gal's script. Marchi was already known for Dragon Maid's dub and her voicing the lead in Gal led people to assume it was her. If it was confirmed someone else wrote Gal then so be it. But either way, the point was there's plenty of people who hate Funimation and Marchi that don't care about Vic Mignogna so nothing is going to change there.

鏡 wrote:
Big agree dude. Vic may have lost this case, but that doesn't mean I can't still fantasize about how big and strong he is, or about how much money he makes, or about how many women he sleeps with compared to the people who talk trash about him. PC culture will never stop me from visualizing Vic's glistening biceps lifting a giant wad of cash, or from entering rp chatrooms where my friends pretend to be both Vic Mignogna and my dad. I'd love to see the people who care about social justice stop me from completing my 30 chapter fanfic that sets the moral record straight, wherein noted voice actor Vic Mignon runs rhetorical circles around the conniving politically degenerate women out to get him.

My friend I'd love to see it, but they simply can't do it. And cheers to that!

Laughing What the hell dude

Last edited by DavetheUsher on Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
It finally ends. Vic is DONE. The sad part is he could have avoided this; this whole thing started not because people were out to ruin Vic, but because they wanted to shock him into realizing what he was doing. They wanted him to get help, to better himself as a person. But instead of taking a sabbatical and reflecting on himself, he blew up his entire career for NOTHING. So long, Vic

P.S. Ironic this happens the day after people did that FMA Day hashtag on Twitter. And the day BEFORE Monica Rial's birthday. Ouch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Laughing What the hell dude

Laughing It's pretty awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12