• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - O Big O, Where Art Thou?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barciad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Never seen it, but looks good. What was it with 1999 and creative anime?
Mosaic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
Big O will always have a place in my heart. This is one of the few series that absolutely pulled me in right from the get-go. I still remember when I first watched the show on Toonami back in 2000 (with the hilarious "Cast in the name of Good" edit). It's also one of those shows I could constantly rewatch again and again.

The manga and second season are... another story. The manga has great artwork, and some interesting stories, but overall it's quite inferior to the anime. Most of the cast, aside from Roger and Beck get pushed to the side. Dorothy doesn't get a lot of focus, unfortunately. It's obvious Ariga didn't really have a good grasp on the series. This changes in the final volume, which is absolutely fantastic. It's extremely well done, and provides a better ending than either season of the anime. The untranslated manga, "Lost Memory" is also pretty fun, and Dorothy gets a decent amount of exposure.

The second season of the anime is awful. There are a few good bits, but overall it's just a mess. The switch to digital animation, and Konaka writing all of the scripts were both awful calls. The whole "everything is a stage" nonsense just felt forced, and seemingly came out of nowhere (the allusions to stage plays first came about in an audio drama, which Konaka confessed he was influenced by how Roger's seiyuu acted during recording sessions). The ending scene feels very tacked on too. It's just a mess.

For those of you who are curious, the one Big O guide book released back in 2003 has an original script for the final episode. A translation of the original ending can be found here.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Mosaic wrote:
The second season of the anime is awful. There are a few good bits, but overall it's just a mess. The switch to digital animation, and Konaka writing all of the scripts were both awful calls. The whole "everything is a stage" nonsense just felt forced, and seemingly came out of nowhere (the allusions to stage plays first came about in an audio drama, which Konaka confessed he was influenced by how Roger's seiyuu acted during recording sessions). The ending scene feels very tacked on too. It's just a mess.

That's pretty inline with Konaka. Him and Toei had similar problems on Digimon Tamers to the point Toei basically cut him loose and didn't consult him for any of the follow up movies and bits because of how Konaka originally wanted to end the series.
Mosaic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I know a lot of people don't care for him, but I always liked his work. I did however, find his work in the second season to be a mess. He wrote five episodes in the first season that were perfectly fine.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I loved Big O season 2 and find it the superior half of the series. Anyone who was unsatisfied by the ending like Mosaic here just doesn't really get metatextual narratives or that not being given real answers to the mysteries of the setting is in fact, the point.
Mosaic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Was more upset with the overall product, not just the “answer” they gave us. Neither the first season nor the manga gave us any “answers” but they were better conclusions.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
I had actually never watched this series before this article(I knew of it way back from issues of Anime Insider; remember those!?), but now I'm partway through the first season. I really like the aesthetic and music so far. Five episodes in and there's already scenes being reused, but it was what was done back then, and kinda adds to the charm, honestly. The dubbing is also very well done for it's time in most cases. I'm going to try to finish it, but all the talk of how the second season changes is a looming bummer. I watched a couple short clips from it, and while the design seems to be the same, it's animated very differently and seems more colorful, which the series I've been watching so far is not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2