• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
And I hope Isekai Quartet 2 gets covered. Smile

With Shield Hero being added to the mix, I would be shocked if it doesn't get voted in again. There's definitely at least one reviewer eager to tackle it, too. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:25 am Reply with quote
Chihayafuru S3 is not on the list as an option for coverage in the daily streaming reviews Anime cry Anime cry
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:48 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Chihayafuru S3 is not on the list as an option for coverage in the daily streaming reviews Anime cry Anime cry

I hope to see Bamboo continue it of course, but if she's too busy it's understandable.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:30 am Reply with quote
I'll be watching a bunch of new shows this season (too many to list, honestly...), with my most looked forwards to shows (in no particular order) being:
Haikyuu! S4
Darwin's Game
In/Spectre
number24
Pet
Oda Cinnamon Nobunaga
The Case Files of Jeweler Richard
ID:Invaded
Sorcerous Stabber Orphen

And I'm going to continue watching these fine shows:
Black Clover
My Hero Academia S4
Chihayafuru S3
Blade of the Immortal
Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia
Kabukichou Sherlock
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:04 am Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren wrote:
borobor wrote:
I'm blown away by the animation talent and sheer creative enthusiasm on display in Eizouken. I don't necessarily know if it's going to be a personal favorite of mine, and I'm also completely in agreement with Theron's review in that Yuasa's style has just never clicked for me in the past so I had no personal hype for this one, but I got chills from the first episode.

I sincerely want to know what's so good about the show. Seriously, I don't get it. Maybe I am stupid but this seems Average at best to me

There's a few gimmick tricks. So what? Yuasa's trademark 5th grader-inspired artwork (usually the hallmark of someone who. like Hitler, can't do faces) is a drag on whatever good the show brings and the story is just standard "friends doing stuff because friends" fare.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:09 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
A Mystery wrote:

I hope to see Bamboo continue it of course, but if she's too busy it's understandable.

I just asked her if she would. I’d just hate to see it not reviewed because of an oversight of it being left off the list

The same thing happened with Kono oto Tomare last season
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
UPDATE:

Chihayafuru 3 was added so you can go vote for it if you'd like.
I added Iruma-kun based on popular demand, so you can vote for that as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Already voted so that doesn't help me, but seeing how it's in the top quintile for favorite anime of 2019 survey I can't imagine it'll have any issue with support assuming Bamboo wishes to continue.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
UPDATE:

Chihayafuru 3 was added so you can go vote for it if you'd like.
I added Iruma-kun based on popular demand, so you can vote for that as well.

Thank you for doing that. Very Happy
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
And I hope Isekai Quartet 2 gets covered. Smile

With Shield Hero being added to the mix, I would be shocked if it doesn't get voted in again. There's definitely at least one reviewer eager to tackle it, too. Wink

Please, if you lose the reviewer for a show like, say, My Hero Academia, offer someone the chance to shift from a dumpster fire to that one instead.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Already voted so that doesn't help me, but seeing how it's in the top quintile for favorite anime of 2019 survey I can't imagine it'll have any issue with support assuming Bamboo wishes to continue.

You can change your votes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

You can change your votes.

Yep, votes are editable up until the time they close the survey. And thanks for adding those in!
borobor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren wrote:
I sincerely want to know what's so good about the show. Seriously, I don't get it. Maybe I am stupid but this seems Average at best to me

If you don't like Eizouken then you don't like it, and that's fine. And I'm not giving it unqualified praise, either; I think the 'theatricality' and the stylized portrayals in a show like this can really keep you at arms' length (a problem I have with Yuasa's stuff in general) and you end up admiring it more for technical proficiency rather than really entering into the world of the show.

But surely there's nothing strange with a show that's a pure love letter to animation, and which features excellent animation, being praised by fans of animation? For me there's a vicarious pleasure in the enthusiasm of the characters, and a reminder of why I came to like this stuff in the first place.

I thought sakugablog had a good writeup of some of the techniques that made the first ep feel so successful, if you're interested in what other people see in it.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Reiji (also spelled “Rage” and still pronounced “Reiji”)

Because the two are pronounced the same way: "reeji". It's why people and characters named "Jouji" (such as seiyuu Nakata Jouji, or ParaKiss character Koizumi Jouji) sometimes write their names as "George", because it's a homonym.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, voted for Chihayafuru!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18