• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Digimon was pretty nice, but I'm disappointed it seems like it's going to be even more Tai centered than the original, judging by the OP which had minimal appearance from the rest of the cast. I never really followed it past the original that aired on TV (and even then it wasn't something I religiously followed, although I must have watched most episodes a couple of time because of re run, I did hear that one of the later adaptation went in some interesting dirction, but never really followed the rest). Any idea how many season it's been green lighted for? Are they going to cover the same ground as the original?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:03 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Any idea how many season it's been green lighted for? Are they going to cover the same ground as the original?

No episode count has been announced, but judging from the time slot it took over (previouslyhome to Gegege no Kitaro and Dragon Ball Super before it) I think it's safe to assume it'll run for at least a full year.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:12 am Reply with quote
Is it weird that I kind of wish they'd at least would have changed up the artwork for Digimon? I actually really liked the direction they went for the specials that aired.

I'm going to probably check it out for nostalgia sake. I was a huge fan of the original Digimon growing up.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:08 am Reply with quote
I will also check out Digimon for nostalgia's sake. Loved the original.

So far it seems like they keep the personalities and main digimon. But make big changes to the overall plot. In the original show you could replace 'digital' with 'magical' and not change anything.

I feel taking this route makes sense. Just redoing the old plot but making it faster paced and updating the animation would be kinda pointless.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:

It's a bit more. Haru is still high school age, around 16-17/18 and Rikuo is at least 22/23 as someone who has graduated from a japanese university. They are at least 4-5 years apart.

I'm pretty sure Haru is currently older than that. It is stated that a) Shinako had been working at the school for a year and some change, and that b) Haru was kicked out for working at a bar/nightlife place. As far as I know, to work past 10pm in Japan you must be at least 18, which would imply that, at minimum, Haru is 19 now.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:

It is stated that a) Shinako had been working at the school for a year and some change

I admit I might have missed this, but I'm almost certain Shinako had only been teach at Haru's school for something like 3 months, since she and Rikuo graduated college just 6 months before the start of the show.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:

It is stated that a) Shinako had been working at the school for a year and some change

I admit I might have missed this, but I'm almost certain Shinako had only been teach at Haru's school for something like 3 months, since she and Rikuo graduated college just 6 months before the start of the show.

Wasn't she doing an internship, so that was before she graduated, something like:

Shinako start college ->2 year later she does internship->1 year later she graduate, find job elsewhere->6 month later she move back (present time for anime).
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I really don't get all this fuss about the age difference when the difference is like 4 years max,it doesn't really affect the story whatsover.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:
I really don't get all this fuss about the age difference when the difference is like 4 years max,it doesn't really affect the story whatsover.

Fussing over numbers is easier than analyzing the morality of a case's power dynamics.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hopefully that humor is part of the scenes over which the ending credits roll, because otherwise we're looking at a truly staggering cast of entirely cute/sexy female characters.

hahahaha get ready to memorise names my friend
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
lossthief wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:

Wasn't she doing an internship, so that was before she graduated, something like:

Shinako start college ->2 year later she does internship->1 year later she graduate, find job elsewhere->6 month later she move back (present time for anime).

Well, let's look it from a different angle:

In the flashback where Haru and Rikuo meet for the first time, she is in junior high school, therefore between 13-15, and Rikuo is in high school 3rd grade (17/18). Haru says that since that meeting she's been in love with him for 5 years. So yeah, that would probably make her around 18-20 at the start of the story, so a bit older than what I presumed originally, and Rikuo still is around 22/23. But I could swear that in the manga she's not allowed to drink alcohol at the bar where she's working at, which means she's a minor (under 20).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Good Fruits Basket episode. I know that many fans would name either Saki or Arisa as their favorite "secondary character", but for me it's all about the student council kids.
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to how the second season of Fruits Basket will pan out, since at this point we're entering manga content that's never been animated before now. The student council is an especially great bunch, as well as a certain horse.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to do something a bit unusual and back up the preview I filed for one series with a specific recommendation in-thread, as I think it could be a big blind spot for the season.

If you were planning to skip Princes Connect! Re: Dive, check it out anyway. It may surprise you with how entertaining it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm going to do something a bit unusual and back up the preview I filed for one series with a specific recommendation in-thread, as I think it could be a big blind spot for the season.

If you were planning to skip Princes Connect! Re: Dive, check it out anyway. It may surprise you with how entertaining it is.

It was good when it was good, but the episode was filled with huge stretch that were essentially just a bog standard fantasy adventure story which were just average. Kinda wish it had committed fully to comedy and crammed a bunch of joke in it rather than one every 2-3 minutes (especially considering a lot of joke were repeated 2-3 time).

I find that most show that are comedy/something else tend to abandon they're comedy element over time and become more and more invested in their plot, and right now I feel like there's literally 0 reason to care about the plot versus any number of generic fantasy show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10