• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But perhaps the most telling thing about Yuna as a person is that even though she discovers healing magic early in the episode, she doesn't immediately think about using it to save her best friend's mom. In fact, it doesn't even cross her mind to try until the woman is literally dying in front of her.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that bothered. But I think you may be giving the writers too much credit to see this as a deliberate character flaw that she will learn to overcome. It felt more like she didn't think of it because the writers weren't ready to address it yet, and needed to get the Lord's daughter segment out of the way first.

It's possible we'll see that they had something in mind down the line when she has her "There's no place like home" moment and remembers she has a grandfather and kinda misses him, but mostly it feels like this is totally written for little kids who are just about the adventure in the moment, and none of that heavy, character-building stuff.

Your concerns about the grandfather reminded me of how I felt when realizing this season in Re: Zero that Subaru was a highschooler still living at home with a loving family he loved in return. I'd thought he was a college-aged NEET who'd cut ties with everyone and would not be missed, and it was a real kick in the gut when I understood that, from his parents' pov, he went out to the store one night and just never came home, and they have no idea what happened to him. But Kuma hasn't done any of the work to make me feel that way about poor gramps, even when you make me think about him.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:44 pm Reply with quote
^ We don't even know how long she's been away, as time might not flow there the same way it does in Beartopia.
arkhangelsk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, healing wounds and fixing disease are two totally different things. In fact, depending on the mechanization of the wound healing magic, it can actually make disease worse (for example, if it accelerated all cell growth...)
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Yuna's imouto harem stedily grows. The Hidaka Rina segment was entertainingly cute, even her father was cute.

I thought they would take this chance to show Yuna's limitations, but in the end all she had to do was very vaguely imagine there was a "source" for the illness and attack it, ven if she doesn't know if it's a microbe, a parasite, genetical or something else, if it's widespread or localized.
She imagines a vague concept and bam, best medic in the world. I honestly thought that the visualization needs to be more precise, that she needs to know EXACTLY what's the problem, that they would take the chance to have her ask the noble for a favour to have his expensive/exclusive physicians see and somewhat heal mom, growing Yuna's world into someone with limitations but who has made the personal connections to overcome them. But alas, bear magic strong. (not like I trust manga/anime/LN writters with sickness as a whole, as they always show the same symptoms, never give it a name and always go buy "medicine" for these nameless illnesses as if pharmacies sold magical cure-alls)

Yuna has flaws, but those flaws are ultimately flavour with no major consequences.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
^ We don't even know how long she's been away, as time might not flow there the same way it does in Beartopia.

Neither does Subaru but he still had to confront the possibility and admit he was actively trying not to think about it.
But then again Re:Zero's writing is on a different level and rarely do isekai protagonists ever think about hte people they have left behind.

Last edited by Yuvelir on Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:45 pm Reply with quote
arkhangelsk wrote:
To be fair, healing wounds and fixing disease are two totally different things. In fact, depending on the mechanization of the wound healing magic, it can actually make disease worse (for example, if it accelerated all cell growth...)

That has nothing to do with her thought processes on the matter. Even if or since (I'm not sure which applies here) those are different in this world, it's not unreasonable for her to think, "Hmm, if I can heal that, I wonder if that will work on her mom, or if I can figure out a way to make it work?" But nope, she doesn't think about her mom at all until the suffering is in her face and she can't ignore it.

Again, my feeling was that rather than that being a deliberate character flaw highlighting her extreme self-centeredness, it's just an artifact of the writers not knowing how to plot it out while still getting both stories told in this episode (I have a feeling the ax is going to be significant later, which is why they needed to get that transferred now).

Yuvelir wrote:
I honestly thought that the visualization needs to be more precise, that she needs to know EXACTLY what's the problem, that they would take the chance to have her ask the noble for a favour to have his expensive/exclusive physicians see and somewhat heal mom

Those were my thoughts while watching it too, but alas. I guess that's why I think the ax is important, since what I expected to be the reason for that whole trip turned out to be moot.

Yuvelir wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
We don't even know how long she's been away, as time might not flow there the same way it does in Beartopia.

Neither does Subaru but he still had to confront the possibility and admit he was actively trying not to think about it.
But then again Re:Zero's writing is on a different level and rarely do isekai protagonists ever think about hte people they have left behind.

Well, usually they don't leave anyone behind, at least not ones who expect them back, since usually they're victims of Truck-kun. Smile

And Yuna doesn't know how time compares either. From her frame of reference it's been what, weeks, months? Yet she's unconcerned about anyone who might possibly be missing her and she seems not to miss them at all.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:31 am Reply with quote
Wait everyone keeps referring to the Grandpa! As he was added by the poor director of episode one and never existed in the light novel at all or the manga! I just dropped that whole bit as flawed extra from a really bad director! I mean I have read the light novels and manga and no grandpa existed Yuna states only her mother and father who left after being given money existed for her and neither seemed to care about her in anyway. This grandpa was a added extra by a poor director.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:54 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And Yuna doesn't know how time compares either. From her frame of reference it's been what, weeks, months? Yet she's unconcerned about anyone who might possibly be missing her and she seems not to miss them at all.

The only ones who might miss her are her parents that she bribed to go on a trip. Anime is taking huge liberties here...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, the anime is all I know and all that I'm commenting on when saying the writing is bad, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:25 pm Reply with quote
This is where I am dropping the series. It is a cute show and all, but it seems to be aimed at 8-10 year olds, if not younger. It's storylines lack any sort of complexity at all, and I just don't find them to be appealing. I had some hopes that things would pick up as the series progressed, but instead the opposite has happened. I've just lost interest in it.
KyokoBestMeguca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:56 pm Reply with quote
"I could make this orphanage way better if I just made it more like a Victorian English workhouse" said nobody ever. How the hell are we supposed to root for a character who wholeheartedly endorses using unpaid child labor to enforce a monopoly? She's not even giving them a choice about it, other than the not-really-a-choice "work or starve" choice of real workhouses.
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad I only bought the first volume of the novel. Most of these episodes seem to be from beyond that considering I don't remember them at all, yet the quality isn't improving. It was bad enough when she went off on Cliff without hearing his side of things despite having previously met him and seen first-hand that he's not a bad noble. Then she basically forces this chicken coop on the orphanage without proposing the idea to them first. Yuna is basically a god and it's not very fun to see everything just work out for her easily.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
KyokoBestMeguca wrote:
"I could make this orphanage way better if I just made it more like a Victorian English workhouse" said nobody ever. How the hell are we supposed to root for a character who wholeheartedly endorses using unpaid child labor to enforce a monopoly? She's not even giving them a choice about it, other than the not-really-a-choice "work or starve" choice of real workhouses.

It's only natural they, and especially the older children, help with the upkeep of the orphanage, honestly, your complaint here really sounds like first world problems, that world isn't the modern world and I very much doubt the real medieval world was any nicer. Yuna can't always be there to help them out...

The reason why she spoiler[later opens a bakery] is also for that and to prepare the children to have the necessary skills to strike out on their own...
DarkAudit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we see that Yuna has a tendency to lash out at those she feels are in the wrong

She's 15. That's what teenaged girls do.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Lol at all this about ignoring the theme, rating, setting, and character and watch/read with a wrong glasses. It's not an overly serious story(or rather not at all) about isekai to a not so modern world with a not so modern mindset, with teenage girl protagonist ffs.
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
KyokoBestMeguca wrote:

Kids doing basic farmwork isn't that big of a deal even in the real world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5