• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Court Hands Suspended Sentence to act-age Manga Writer Tatsuya Matsuki for Indecent Act

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donkey-er

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:26 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Vent wrote:
A man sexually assaults two children and the courts tell him "well okay we'll let you go if you promise to behave"

Absolutely baffling. The only message this sends is "don't get caught next time".

Seriously, this is utterly disgusting. And it's hardly an issue confined to Japan either: just how many attorneys in the US have successfully used the vile "she was asking for it" defense to get their clients out of hot water? Wherever it happens, it's nauseating.

Couldn't agree more! I would think that of all the crimes you can commit, crimes against children that will scar them for life would not be something that can result in such a light punishment.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:42 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
lossthief wrote:
Psajdak wrote:
I can see all of this ending up with act-age continuation, and anime adaptation announcement.

Shiro Usuzaki, the artist for the series, publicly denounced him and is already working with a different writer on a recently published one-shot. That combined with the total delisting of anything act-age related in the wake of his arrest makes me very certain that won't happen.

Yeah, he can be quietly shoved aside, she found a new partner in less than a year.

Wasn't he the writer? I never read this series, but changing writers mid-run never ends well.
FallenDomino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:11 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
They went through extraordinary measures to cut ties with him. I doubt he'll ever write for Shueisha again; I'm pretty sure his crimes are considered worse than Nobuhiro Watsuki's or Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro's.

Not "considered," they are worse.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:13 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Wasn't he the writer? I never read this series, but changing writers mid-run never ends well.

I don't think AV was talking about resuming Act-Age with a different writer, but rather Usazaki pursuing work that has nothing to do with anything Matsuki touched.
xerox-guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:20 am Reply with quote
"Suspended the sentence. They walked free that very day! And those bastards, they smiled at me"
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:58 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
I can see all of this ending up with act-age continuation, and anime adaptation announcement.

Yup, the author simply needs to take some time away from the public eye until everyone forgets / doesn't care about this anymore. Then he can finish this series.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:07 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised at all since Japan's legal system is way more different than other countries.
In the US, he would've been immediately placed on a sex offender's list.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:16 am Reply with quote
Dovah wrote:

This article and the ones preceding it do not give us any details about the court's decision beyond that he was found guilty, given 18 months, but then given a suspended sentence if he remains on "good behavior" for 3 years. Those snippets tell us nothing about how the court arrived at its decision, the thoughts of the judge on the matter, etc. If you have more details than that, link them. Otherwise you're making baseless claims.

Unless you can provide those details you've made the same mistake you're accusing me of, except your stepping in to attack him without being bothered to know that much about the situation first.

...the guy groped two middle school girls on the street and freely admitted to doing so. The hell more do we need to know than that?
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
See guys. Apparently if you sexually assault a minor, all you gotta do is be a good person for a few years and you totally avoid jail time. SO MUCH JUSTICE!!!
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
See guys. Apparently if you sexually assault a minor, all you gotta do is be a good person for a few years and you totally avoid jail time. SO MUCH JUSTICE!!!

Because jail time is the only kind of punishment it seem. Not like the goal is to rehabilitate people or anything.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:57 am Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:

Because jail time is the only kind of punishment it seem. Not like the goal is to rehabilitate people or anything.

It's also to separate the perp from the victims and potential victims. If there was a reason to lock him away is at least for that.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
KarlFranz wrote:

It's also to separate the perp from the victims and potential victims. If there was a reason to lock him away is at least for that.

Or maybe they saw him not enough of a threat to warred prison time, like we not talking about some dangerous criminal here. Also the police and the public still keep tag on him.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I wonder is justice system in Japan not good as justice system in the U.S.?

No justice system in the world is good especially the U.S.’s justice system.

A place where companies rake in millions of dollars imprisoning people regardless of whether those people were justifiably convicted or not. And where people who deserved to be locked up just get pardoned for no good reason or get away with whatever crime they committed.

But I digress
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
I'm not surprised at all since Japan's legal system is way more different than other countries.
In the US, he would've been immediately placed on a sex offender's list.

I wouldn't say it's all that different in this area. Lots of celebrities and famous people get pretty relaxed sentences here as well.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I wonder is justice system in Japan not good as justice system in the U.S.?

Both systems are extremely flawed. I won't bother listing the flaws in the US system because that's completely OT, too political, and easily found on Google.

This case is not reflective of the main criticisms of the Japanese justice system. The biggest flaw is something dubbed "hostage justice," one of my foreigner friends living in Japan had first hand experience with it. Japanese police are allowed to hold a criminal suspect, even one suspected of minor crimes, for up to 23 days in some cases. During those 23 days the suspect will be frequently questioned, often in the middle of the night (depriving them of sleep) and will not be given access to a lawyer during questioning. Many suspects sign a confession just to get out of jail, especially for minor crimes. My friend was held for 2 days (iirc) on suspicion of shop-lifting a snack from a convenience store. He eventually "admitted" his guilt.

I met someone from the Australian Embassy a few years ago in a bar. His job was to travel around Japan and "rescue" Australians who had fucked up. His advice for foreigners was "Don't talk to the police, ask for the embassy; the only words out of your mouth should be "US Embassy" (or whatever country)."

This whole hostage Justice thing became much more exposed to the public due to Carlos Ghosn.

Details: https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/04/10/call-eliminate-japans-hostage-justice-system-japanese-legal-professionals
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/01/05/national/media-national/international-scrutiny-japans-criminal-justice-system-fair/

Related to Matsuki's case, the Japanese criminal justice system is often criticized for being too lenient on sexual assaults. Pressure from both within and outside Japan does seem to be having an effect and earlier this year the government unveiled a three-year plan to make changes. AFAIK though, none of the changes have been made yet.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/07/14/national/social-issues/sex-crimes-violence/
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13268301
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/backstories/545/

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3