• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kenji Kamiyama to Direct The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim Feature Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
So from that wording, Japanese creators aren’t allowed to helm western IPs like how shouldn’t over theirs? Not saying this is going to be the greatest film of all time, but I don’t like the isolationist tone of it.

It's not a matter of them being "allowed" to helm western IPs or not. It's a matter of taking talented people who got their acclaim from interesting original productions, and rather than giving them funding to keep making those cool original ideas the execs at Netflix and Amazon throw them into the meat-grinder of milquetoast franchise spin-offs. Taking highly creative people and putting them into the most uncreative, boardroom-driven projects.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
If you're trying to say something, then say it and stop beating around the bush. Stirring up innuendo without making a definitive statement is not cool, IMO.

I assume they're accusing that Tolkien was racist because he didn't include any minorities in Middle Earth outside the Haradrim who sided with Saruman, which some people generally complain about Tolkien's works being too white. I'm sure they're glad now that Christopher Tolkien, who was very strict about keeping adaptions close and respectful to his father's vision and the books has passed away which means we'll probably see a lot more liberties being taken in future adaptions like the typical race-swapping and other stuff we see happen in other American adaptions.

JoelBurger wrote:
It's not a matter of them being "allowed" to helm western IPs or not. It's a matter of taking talented people who got their acclaim from interesting original productions, and rather than giving them funding to keep making those cool original ideas the execs at Netflix and Amazon throw them into the meat-grinder of milquetoast franchise spin-offs. Taking highly creative people and putting them into the most uncreative, boardroom-driven projects.

If you can't beat them, join them; or in this case, hire them. Netflix wants to compete with anime. What better way than to hire Japanese studios and directors and make them work for you. Obviously the appeal of anime is more complicated than that and most of these tend to be misses, but they might find it easier or cheaper than something like Powerhouse's He-Man and Castlevania series which aim for the same demographic but with western studios and people at the helm.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:08 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:

Kamiyama probably could have turned down this project if he didn't want to do it and I'm not comfortable with Western anime fans assuming they know what Kamiyama would have wanted. And most Western anime fans should have turned out to support GITS SAC 2045 instead of turning their noses at it being CGI if they wanted more original works from Kamiyama.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Kamiyama probably could have turned down this project if he didn't want to do it and I'm not comfortable with Western anime fans assuming they know what Kamiyama would have wanted. And most Western anime fans should have turned out to support GITS SAC 2045 instead of turning their noses at it being CGI if they wanted more original works from Kamiyama.

I'm sure he could have, but as when any of this stuff happens (like just about any MCU production that scoops up indie filmmakers) the money is hard to pass up. And I'm just saying, whatever the case may be for Kamiyama, I highly doubt Ishiguro went "It's been a dream of mine to get a chance to work within the universe of Max Landis' hit feature film Bright".
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Otaku-sempai wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:
Between this and the Bright anime, very sad to see talented anime directors being thrown into the Hollywood grinder and told to make stuff other than what got them acclaim in the first place.

Don't forget Blade Runner: Black Lotus, also directed by Kenji Kamiyama.

So from that wording, Japanese creators aren’t allowed to helm western IPs like how shouldn’t over theirs? Not saying this is going to be the greatest film of all time, but I don’t like the isolationist tone of it.

Not my words. I didn't say any such thing; I'm actually looking forward to The War of the Rohirrim. You'll have to take that up with Joel!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:23 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
If you're trying to say something, then say it and stop beating around the bush. Stirring up innuendo without making a definitive statement is not cool, IMO.

I assume they're accusing that Tolkien was racist because he didn't include any minorities in Middle Earth outside the Haradrim who sided with Saruman, which some people generally complain about Tolkien's works being too white. I'm sure they're glad now that Christopher Tolkien, who was very strict about keeping adaptions close and respectful to his father's vision and the books has passed away which means we'll probably see a lot more liberties being taken in future adaptions like the typical race-swapping and other stuff we see happen in other American adaptions.

Yes, I've seen claims like that many times over the years. I still think they're entirely without merit, but at least most of those I've seen who've made such claims have had the guts to come out and say it. Many have even put forth their reasoning, as you just did (not that I'm saying you're claiming Tolkien is a racist).

BTW, it was the Dunlendings who sided with Saruman. The Haradrim sided with Sauron. Razz

There is a part in the Two Towers where Sam first sees an Oliphant when Faramir's men jump a group of Haradrim, and he wonders what they were like, why they had come so far from home, and a few other things that show he felt some empathy towards them and didn't regard them as subhuman in any way. There's plenty of personal writings by Tolkien floating around and, so far as I'm aware, none of them show any signs of racism or disdain towards any other race. He did once tell off the Nazi's when they tried to get him to support their cause (https://flashbak.com/jrr-tolkien-letter-nazi-the-hobbit-1938-429966/).

But, ultimately, people are going to believe what they want to believe.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Otaku-sempai wrote:

Not my words. I didn't say any such thing; I'm actually looking forward to The War of the Rohirrim. You'll have to take that up with Joel!

I was referring to Joel. My point still stands.
Carlo Mueller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
This is very good news. I'm afraid to even imagine what a masterpiece it will be. Anime is an immersion in another culture, Lord of the Rings is also an immersion in another world. The anime has the best colorful graphics, and in Lord of the Rings it's the best I've seen in movies. Combine the best with the best and it would be the bomb! I would love to see Mirkwood with his story https://www.thetolkienforum.com/wiki/Mirkwood anime style. I played Lord of the Rings online , and I liked him there. But, I think it will be better and more incredible in the anime. I hope that after watching it I won't be disappointed and they will use some magic formula to create a masterpiece!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3