• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Osaka Police Uses Ace Attorney Characters For Anti-Marijuana Campaign

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vampiyan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
I hope no one will tell us that ethanol is not a drug, nor try to tell us that it is less harmful than cannabis when there is a mountain of scientific evidence that says otherwise. Reefer Madness not withstanding, the semi-legalization of cannabis in the USA has led to few if any problems, while helping to unclog the courts, jails, and prisons, and reducing the number of persons who turn to crime due to a drug conviction making finding employment difficult. The only real losers are the "drug lords" who no longer make massive profits through illegal cannabis importation and distribution, and all those who took kickbacks from said "drug lords"

Alcohol certainly is bad for you, but it's not a contest of which is worse for you. The response to "this bad thing is legal" should not be "might as well make more bad things legal". Legalizing drugs certainly lowers crime in the sense that since it's not longer counted as a crime so it looks good on the books, but it doesn't mean people still aren't abusing them and suffering as a result. Confused
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
vampiyan wrote:

Alcohol certainly is bad for you, but it's not a contest of which is worse for you. The response to "this bad thing is legal" should not be "might as well make more bad things legal". Legalizing drugs certainly lowers crime in the sense that since it's not longer counted as a crime so it looks good on the books, but it doesn't mean people still aren't abusing them and suffering as a result. Confused

It is a question of morality - if the law treats a more harmful mood altering drug as legal and a less harmful mood altering drug as illegal, the law is immoral since it does not meet the test of any proposed rule should be universally applicable.

Immanuel Kant: Categorical Imperative

1. Act only according to that maxim through which you can at the same time will that it become a universal law.
2. So act that you use humanity, in your own person as well as in the person of any other, always at the same time as an end, never merely as a means.
3. Every rational being must so act as if he were through his maxim always a lawmaking member in the universal kingdom of ends.
Garryy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:00 am Reply with quote
I think that soon Japan will legalize marijuana. In my opinion, legalizing will help make the population happier and improve the country's economy. There are a lot of businesses that will pay taxes for the income from selling marijuana. Also, people who create cannabis track and trace software will create better software for their region. A large number of the Japanese population also deals with anxiety, depression and stress, and marijuana helps with dealing with these diseases. A more accessible weed will help minimize the ratings of such diseases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2