• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XIV Game Suspends Shipments, Digital Sales, Free Trial Due to Congestion

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Just shows how insular Japanese firms can be. Why aren't they using AWS or Linode or some other cloud-based provider that can be easily expanded? I'm sure the answer is some version of "we need to control our content."

The problem is not as simple as "throw more servers at it". Even setting aside the inherent difficulties of parallelizing computations across multiple servers, their problems are not CPU-bound. Everybody logged in on a specific server is interacting in the same areas; nobody is going to have a good time if suddenly a thousand more PCs are crammed into the same area that everybody else is playing in. Limiting how many people can be logged in at once is important to make sure the people who are logged in can actually have fun.

Adding new servers means adding more worlds, but that also doesn't fix the problem, and doing it recklessly it causes more problems long term. The people who have characters on existing worlds generally don't want to move; some of them would be willing to move over time, but it's a slow transition that doesn't solve the immediate problem. New players would flood new worlds, which is fine at first, but not all of them are going to stick with the game; in a few weeks or months, when demand has died down and traffic is back to normal, now those new worlds are ghost towns and SE has to decide whether they want to keep paying for mostly-empty servers or whether they want to force all of those players to move to other worlds, which makes everybody unhappy. Adding more worlds needs to be done slowly, not as an attempt at a quick fix.

Prioritizing their existing, paying customers is basically the best thing they can do right now. After the post-expansion rush has died down, they'll have a better idea of what their long-term traffic will be like and can add new worlds as necessary.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:16 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Just shows how insular Japanese firms can be. Why aren't they using AWS or Linode or some other cloud-based provider that can be easily expanded? I'm sure the answer is some version of "we need to control our content."

Did you miss the recent AWS outage?
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:58 pm Reply with quote
The trick is to log in early in the morning before all the queues... and then stay on.
Lotus Viridis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Donkey-er wrote:
This story seems really odd to me. Unless they run everything on on-premise servers (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me), they should be able to easily scale their server capabilities. Unless they don't want to due to budgetary reasons.

I mean I like the message of "we can't handle the success we're experiencing" it seems like something that really shouldn't happen if they had their affairs in order.

It seems you might not know the full story or have been keeping up with the status of the game these last few months.

First off, they've gone into pretty specific detail into the pains of acquiring semiconductors as well as the difficulties of on-site server visits by their staff due to covid traveling restrictions. They've been very candid about this well before endwalker launched.

Second off, none of this growth was anywhere near projected. A pandemic combined with the WoW exodus and streamer growth all caught them off guard, and they've been playing catch up ever since.

Thirdly, yoshi-p never really words it like "success" he sees all this as an inconvenience. It's journalists that are choosing to frame it as such, and while I'm sure yoshi-p realizes that more players means more money, his emphasis is on that this is a problem and he's illustrating every aspect of it from the source, to their methods of fixing, and continued reports on the situation almost daily since endwalker launched.

There's nothing really odd about it to me. This was all predicted, and forewarned, so nothing here is really surprising.
liatris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:04 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

FFXIV has been around for over 12 years already. They probably started on in house bare metal, and didn't really have the ability to migrate to cloud after all this time. Technical debt rears its head and actually have a real price and hopefully that is the lesson people take home with. While Japanese firms have their issues, this type of problem is not unique to them.

Yes, Japan has a track record of using Amazon Aurora for relatively new productions such as Mario Kart Tour.
And as a comparison, Amazon's New World uses AWS but failed to launch. They didn't seem to understand the basic logic of MMOs. Japan is not alone in this.
Today's AAA games are not so easy to make because the cost is insanely high.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
FunkyDude88 wrote:
The trick is to log in early in the morning before all the queues... and then stay on.

As someone on East Coast time, that's pretty much all that's available to me. Once it gets closer to 11AM, all bets are off. (Though it does feel a little bit like cheating.)
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I play in the evening and overnight, I just figure out when I want to play and start logging in around an hour early.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Lotus Viridis wrote:
Donkey-er wrote:
This story seems really odd to me. Unless they run everything on on-premise servers (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me), they should be able to easily scale their server capabilities. Unless they don't want to due to budgetary reasons.

First off, they've gone into pretty specific detail into the pains of acquiring semiconductors as well as the difficulties of on-site server visits by their staff due to covid traveling restrictions. They've been very candid about this well before endwalker launched.

I don't understand why they maintain their own server farms rather than subcontracting with a major cloud provider like Amazon. Then they could spin up additional servers as needed.

My guess is that Japanese firms like Square Enix don't think like this. They want all their IP on servers they maintain for fear of piracy.

Moving my servers to the cloud was one of the best decisions I've ever made. No more worrying about power outages or disk failures or any of the other problems that can plague a physical server.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2