• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sci Fi Channel Launches Monday Night Anime Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Rewrite: I'm surprised the channel is going to apparently air OAVs and movies in the block. CN did that for a while (OAV's at least) but gave it up because it throws the scheduling timing off.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I wish they could air the stuff that they used to, remastered where available. Galaxy Express 999, Armitage III: Poly Matrix, Dominion Tank Police, Venus Wars, Project A-Ko, Demon City Shinjuku, etc. That's the stuff that really helped along my anime fandom at the beginning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
game

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Manga Entermainment

Anime which this company has licensed:
company#10

[EDIT:Changed list to link.~Zalis]
Calculusman

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
While anime on TV is always good, I gave this one a big large sigh. Because Manga Entertainment has so many well known titles...

game wrote:
Manga Entermainment

Anime which this company has licensed:

See...my point is shown.

Of course, most of the shows that I'd probably bother watching on TV almost certainly won't be or I already own them anyway.

I'm wondering if Geneon ever plans to do anything on the TV front , since ADV and Funi both have their own networks (though we don't get either where I am, other than Anime Network on demand, which seems to only have a fraction of the shows it did before the switch from Adelphia to Comcast) and now ME has signed this contact.

teh*darkness wrote:
I'm not even sure about 'Now and Then'. My copies say U.S. Manga Corps., which I think is part of Manga-Ent., but I'm not sure.

US Manga Corps is part of Central Park Media, which who knows if they'll ever put anything new out since they're in the middle of bankruptcy I believe.

I wouldn't necessarily mind a block of theirs. Yes, my weekly anime tv block of DNA2 and World of Narue...
onreload

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
If SciFi does it right at ALL (which they might not), then this will be a good thing, because even if it's not as successful as AS's block used to be, it will begin competition; competition is always better for the consumer, or in this case, the viewer. It will encourage more networks to try anime, which means newer American license-holders, more anime, etc...

Of course...If it's dubbed...I won't care. Laughing
Calculusman

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
onreload wrote:
Of course...If it's dubbed...I won't care. Laughing

Well, if its on American TV, it's probably gonna be dubbed. The vast majority of people who live in the US do speak English, after all.

Maybe someone can start a 24/7 anime network which actually uses anime series from all the distributors. Then they could re-broadcast their popular shows at night with dubs instead of subs.

*sketches out my idea CLAMP 2-hour block would be. Let's see...Chobits at 6. Angelic Layer at 6:30. A double of Cardcaptor Sakura (the sub, not Cardcaptors) at 7...then after Chobits you can start Tsubasa...after Angelic Layer, they could start xxxholic. After CCS they could start Magic Knight Rayearth....*
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I think that this is going to be a great move for the Sci-Fi channel! Good choice on getting more viewers. Lifestyle channel indeed! The Geek Lifestyle! Laughing

As for the shows, well of course anything Science Fiction or even Fantasy would be good. A few titles that I can immediately think of are Last Exile, Martian Successor Nadesico, Witch Hunter Robin, Vandread, Coyote Ragtime Show, Geneshaft, Kiddy Grade and all 3 Full Metal Panic!s. And for sh*ts and giggles, Galaxy Angel

But what I think would be nice is if Sci-Fi does a mix of new and Classic. New being anything 2000 + and Classic anything 1999 and earlier. That might be fun and would help introduce older series to people who may have not wanted to take a chance on them before.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
they haven't showed anime on that channel since....the mid 90s?
Sci Fi was still airing new MST3K, so it would have been the later 90's. But hey, as long as they still air Star Trek Enterprise, since I have yet to watch all of it, it's all good by me. *L* Heck, throw in the next season of "Who Wants to be the Next Superhero?" and we'll have a good, old fashion nerd block.

EDIT: Left a few words out.

Last edited by Ataru on Sat May 05, 2007 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
June 11th - GHOST IN THE SHELL: SOLID STATE SOCIETY
June 18th & 25th

11PM - NOEIN
11.5PM - TOKKO
12AM - MACROSS PLUS

I love you Sci-Fi

Check the Sci-Fi Schedule - http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3?date=11-JUN-2007&feed_req=
http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3?date=18-JUN-2007&feed_req=
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
This is awsome that Sci Fi is bring back Anime to that channel, I Remember when that Channel used to Show Project A-ko on saturdays during the mid 90's Smile

and yes, G4 and Adult swim are going downhill fast, ever since G4 started airing all that Man oriented crap, and the only thing good on adult swim is Bleach and Eureka 7

G4 used to show animes like Silent Mobius, Duel, Betterman, Boogiepop Phantom,Crest of the Stars,Geneshaft,Gad Guard and R.O.D the Tv, it would be nice to see these titles on the Sci fi Channel.
Otakuboy T

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Crap...my local cable company got rid of Sci-Fi a year ago. Sad

But the good news is that we now get even more sports and religious programing Rolling Eyes
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
June 11th - GHOST IN THE SHELL: SOLID STATE SOCIETY
June 18th & 25th

11PM - NOEIN
11.5PM - TOKKO
12AM - MACROSS PLUS

I love you Sci-Fi

Check the Sci-Fi Schedule - http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3?date=11-JUN-2007&feed_req=
http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3?date=18-JUN-2007&feed_req=

WOW! Some people in earlier posts nailed the shows accurately! And I'm actually looking forward to seeing Noein. It's a title I'm considering getting when it comes out in a box set. And watching Macross Plus will be interesting; I've never seen it before. Not so sure about Tokko.

Oh, and at least this won't be interfering with my CSI: Miami!
eomdal

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
I never thought I'd see this happen! I've always wondered why Skiffy (What the Sci Fi channel is known as on its boards) dropped anime in the first place, and why they've taken until now to bring it back.

The Sci Fi Channel is what brought me back to anime after many years. It came to my local cable provider jut in time for them to start showing new episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000, and I saw an ad for a company that was selling VHS tapes of various titles, including Akira. A year later, my work/sleep schedule changed so that I was able to watch in the early mornings and starting watching the Satruday Anime block, and became a fan again. Because of them, my first anime DVD purchase-and second ever-was Iria.

IIRC, Skiffy abruptly pulled the plug on anime in late October 1999. Roujin Z was the last title shown. Strange, considering that the medium was on the rise in popularity in the States.

The titles that they ran into the ground were: [1]

8 Man After
Adieu, Galaxy Express 999
Akira (Streamline Pictures dub)
Armitage III: Poly-Matrix
Cashaan: Robot Hunter
Demon City Shinjuku
Dominion Tank Police
E.Y.E.S. of Mars
Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture
Galaxy Express 999
Gall Force
Green Legend Ran
Iria: Zeiram the Animation
Lily C.A.T.
Odin: Photon Sailer Starlight
Project A-ko
Record of Lodoss War (1990 OAV series, first three episodes only.)
Robot Carnival
Roujin Z
Tenchi Muyo! in Love
Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer
Vampire Hunter D

I just wonder if they would be able to renew the broadcast rights to Robot Carnival?

Here's hoping that Skiffy is thinking outside of the box and not just jumping on the bandwagon.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sci_Fi_Channel_(United_States)_programs
Tenchi Saotome

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
Thats great to hear, hopefully the Sci-Fi will clean up their act with the reast of their schedule so I can watch their channel again. Also Crying Freeman was released on DVD by ADV Films and on VHS by Streamline

anime#1023
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
Ryusaki nice job with the schedule, did anyone see how the GITS: SSS airs a week after the DVD is released. That's pretty insane I wonder if that list is correct I think Sci-fi might have a winner on it's hands. Especially if Tokko and Noein are going to start airing, I think that this is a nice start......at least this will be in the summer when Heroes and 24 isn't on, so now I have something to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5