• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: USA Today Booklist, July 30–August 5: Bleach Rises

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
It was both, but I do believe Akamatsu said something about disapproving of it on his blog.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
Seriously, what is up with your anti-26 episode crap? It's absolutely absurd. Then you complain about silly plots with One Piece in your screen name. You know, that show about a guy who wants to be the pirate king and he's made up rubber (or has the attributes of rubber, at least).

Yet he he lives in a story with a plot and develops every arc that goes by.
The series gets way better when Franky joins the crew and will get even better when/if Brook joins the crew.

Not to mention that Nami and Robin don't take off their clothes on episode 24.

26 episode shows are shows with wild plots (if any at all) made to entertain people with short attention spans for 26 weeks. I get a kick outta how when a 26 episode ends people beg for more.....Spike ring a bell?

Try again,26tard....
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
26 episode shows are shows with wild plots (if any at all) made to entertain people with short attention spans for 26 weeks. I get a kick outta how when a 26 episode ends people beg for more.....Spike ring a bell?

Try again,26tard....

It's people like you that make me ashamed to be an anime and manga fan, never mind a One Piece fan.

So, you're going to tell me that shows like The Wire and The Sopranos are intended for people with short attention spans as they tell a finite short, not going on for hundreds of episodes? How about films, then? They're even shorter, usually ranging from one and a half to two hours WHOA THEY MUST BE FOR DEM ADD FOLKS. And novels oh let me tell you don't even get me started on those!

And Oda must've been retarded when he released a short story collection called Wanted!, huh? My word, it's only one volume! How could there be anything worthwhile in that?

Twenty-four minutes of gold is still gold. Twenty-four minutes of crap multiplied by however many episodes that a series has is still crap. You don't seem to realize that just because there is more opportunity for a more expansive and in-depth world doesn't mean that it's going to happen. In fact, it's absurdly rare when there is something worthwhile in an outrageously long series because they want to make money off your ilk instead of bothering with a quality story.

Edit: Made it less "inflammatory." Rolling Eyes
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
It's people like you that make me ashamed to be an anime and manga fan, never mind a One Piece fan.

I see you have diareah of the mouth.

So, you're going to tell me that shows like The Wire and The Sopranos are intended for people with short attention spans as they tell a finite short, not going on for hundreds of episodes?

Any show with the language and content of The Sopranos is for people with no brains at all.

How about films, then? They're even shorter, usually ranging from one and a half to two hours WHOA THEY MUST BE FOR DEM ADD FOLKS. And novels oh let me tell you don't even get me started on those!

I like how you bring up stuff I wasn't even talking about...makes me think you have a shelf full of 26 episode anime series and I hit a touchy area.

And Oda must've been retarded when he released a short story collection called Wanted!, huh? My word, it's only one volume! How could there be anything worthwhile in that?

Oh bother, (in Winnie The Pooh's voice) Once again I said nothing about manga and you brought that up on your own.

Twenty-four minutes of gold is still gold. Twenty-four minutes of crap multiplied by however many episodes that a series has is still crap.

And 26 24 min long episodes are a depthless waste of time and animation.

You don't seem to realize that just because there is more opportunity for a more expansive and in-depth world doesn't mean that it's going to happen. In fact, it's absurdly rare when there is something worthwhile in an outrageously long series because they want to make money off your ilk instead of bothering with a quality story.

You one of thoses guys who look down on Jump series cuzz you can't go to Best Buy and buy the whole series in a "magical" thinpack boxset for 50 bucks?

Edit: Made it less "inflammatory." Rolling Eyes[/quote]

Woah man, let me touch your shoulder and feel some of that "electricity of awesomeness" that flows through your arms like chakra on steroids.

Next in line please step up.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Shut up. Please?
I don't get the 26-tard thing. First off, let me say that I'm a fan of both long shonen series and short 26 episode series. Shonen series are just mindless fun. Sure the characters develop, but it's mostly action stretched out over hundreds of episode, usually with sub par animation because the budget has to be conserved to last that long. Those series also tend to have less complex plots than shorter series. The long ones are meant for kids with short attention spans (oohhh fights...haha he's made of rubber! More more!!). I love shonen (mainly as manga though), but when I want good animation, and a smart, well told story, I turn to something shorter. Compare Ghost in the Shell SAC to Naruto, or Gankutsuou to One Piece. I enjoy all four of those series, but GiTS and Gankutsuou offer quite a bit more technically(superior animation and artwork) and story-wise. I'm not saying shonen is crap(it's one of my favorite genres and most of my manga are shonen), but you're kidding yourself if you think longer = better.
For those long shonen series I usually stick to the manga, mainly because the art is usually 100% better in the original manga, and it's faster to read than to watch.

As for the Viz edits notification at the start of the books, I think that's in almost all of their books, and usually refers to the fact that they edit the Japanese text and sound effects. The word "edit" isn't always negative.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Why are people still trying to engage in intelligent discussion with SOP? He's not capable of it, so don't bother.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Why are people still trying to engage in intelligent discussion with SOP? He's not capable of it, so don't bother.

You know what? I agree. Good point. He's just a nuisance, and the less attention we pay to him the better. He'll more than likely get banned if he keeps this up anyways. (not that I'm trying to tell the staff members how to do their job or anything. Anime smile + sweatdrop )
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece why do you feel the need to bring these threads off topic? If you want to talk about how bad 26 episodes are make your own thread about it.

And you can believe anything that you want, but can you be civil about it. People are not idiots because they disagree with you (and vise-versa). I could give you reasons why this viewpoint is bad, but it would send this thread even more off topic.

Let’s try not to degrade ourselves any more then we already have.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote
You know what? I agree. Good point. He's just a nuisance, and the less attention we pay to him the better. He'll more than likely get banned if he keeps this up anyways. (not that I'm trying to tell the staff members how to do their job or anything. )

Fullmetal Alchemist had 51 episodes and a movie,NOT 26 episodes. I own all of FMA and am a fan and you are a fan and likely own the series also.

End of Topic

Last edited by SaveOnePiece on Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Shut up. Please?
I don't get the 26-tard thing. First off, let me say that I'm a fan of both long shonen series and short 26 episode series.

You win teh prize

Shonen series are just mindless fun.

because the girls wear clothes???

Sure the characters develop, but it's mostly action stretched out over hundreds of episode,

.....Sad...just pitiful and proof that your attention span is about as long as a toothpick

usually with sub par animation because the budget has to be conserved to last that long.

Funny how Samurai Champloo had a small budget for episodes 25-26.
Read the clothes thing again.

Those series also tend to have less complex plots than shorter series. The long ones are meant for kids with short attention spans (oohhh fights...haha he's made of rubber! More more!!).

Man,that 26tard thing hurt didn't it? Like an ocean full of salt poured on a scar created by multiple 26tard anime series and how they don't have enough time to develop since the timer starts ticking after episode one to cram a story into 25 more episodes. I like watching anime that I don't know when it'll end instead of one where after episode 1 I have 25 more left.

I love shonen (mainly as manga though), but when I want good animation, and a smart, well told story, I turn to something shorter. Compare Ghost in the Shell SAC to Naruto,

You mean how Sakura,Ino,TenTen,Hinata and Tsunade wear clothes and Makoto is a freakin robot and rarely wears much?

or Gankutsuou to One Piece.

I respect Oda and don't compare his series to 26tard series with vampires that end up in the DVD section at Big Lots for 3 bucks.

I enjoy all four of those series, but GiTS and Gankutsuou offer quite a bit more technically(superior animation and artwork) and story-wise.

GITS has a story and I don't hold anything against it since it has 52 episodes but whan you put One Piece,Story,Superior animation and artwork in the same sentence of "The count of Monte Christo" I tremble in horror and laugh to the point of almost wetting my pants.

I'm not saying shonen is crap(it's one of my favorite genres and most of my manga are shonen), but you're kidding yourself if you think longer = better.

Never said that, long series have characters that develop and stories that actually have an ending that doesn't involve insane idiocy. I get a kick outta how 26tards always say POT is long when the TV series ONLY had 178 episodes.

For those long shonen series I usually stick to the manga, mainly because the art is usually 100% better in the original manga, and it's faster to read than to watch.

Like every other series since it's actually drawn by the person who made it.

As for the Viz edits notification at the start of the books, I think that's in almost all of their books, and usually refers to the fact that they edit the Japanese text and sound effects. The word "edit" isn't always negative.

I don't have time to discuss edited manga and it's nonsense and only bring it up to help others know how it really happened.

You might be the only person on here who I have had an intelligent debate with and I thank you.

Last edited by SaveOnePiece on Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

1 to many 26 episode series?
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
darksideoftheanime wrote:
SaveOnePiece why do you feel the need to bring these threads off topic? If you want to talk about how bad 26 episodes are make your own thread about it.

And you can believe anything that you want, but can you be civil about it. People are not idiots because they disagree with you (and vise-versa). I could give you reasons why this viewpoint is bad, but it would send this thread even more off topic.

Let’s try not to degrade ourselves any more then we already have.

26 episode series besides Evangelion are retarded and a waste of animation 90% of the time.

End of Topic

Thanks to so much wortless anime series (series not from Weekly Jump) nowadays I can now enjoy buying boxsets of Avatar the Last Airbender and catching up on watching my DCAU boxsets.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
26 episode series besides Evangelion are retarded and a waste of animation 90% of the time.

End of Topic

Ok the topic is over now. Everybody can drop this now and go on with our lives.
Jamee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote
ShariganEye wrote:

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, where in NC do you reside?

I live in Asheville. We're the Paris of the south! (Yeah right.)
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Jamee wrote:
ShariganEye wrote:

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, where in NC do you reside?

I live in Asheville. We're the Paris of the south! (Yeah right.)
At least it's better than Boone. One of my friend leaves for Appalachian in about a week for college. Razz
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3