• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Angel Cop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
Watch the Humanoid with it's pop-ups, I recall them being the best part of the show, which I could see easily being buried garbage.
They had me laughing at any rate. Not sure what that says about me though...

That's good, because I worked on those! (Can't take credit for writing 'em, though. That credit goes to Michael Palan, who also writes for a TV blog that eludes me right now.)
lord-darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
"IF THIS IS JUSTICE THEN I'M A BANANA!!!"

I need to make a drinking game out of this show sometime. hmmm....
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I have to see this Very Happy .
Kagatoamv

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I feel the same way about the closing credit song, something so odd about it.

Now I want to rewatch it, but I don't remember if I have a copy or not. Smile
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad the open minded and intelligent Japanese anime industry finally made an anime showing who the real enemies are.

Da Jews.

I kid! I kid! Though really, quite interesting to see that antisemitism pop up in Japanese animation. (I guess they really do take after Walt Disney and some other old American toons.)

Found an interesting clip comparing the fan translation and the official US subs from Manga. Interesting that Manga glossed over the questionable comments.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oDdr-1iOqag

Personally, if something like that was in the original Japanese dub, I sure the hell would want to know. If I was paying for this back in the day, it would be nice to know what the author's original comments were.

Meanwhile, I do wonder myself about our involvment in the Iran Iraq War and the motivations behind the Kuwaiti Gulf War. Yet to blame 'the Jews' is just as bad as denying that the US was backing Saddam Hussein before the Gulf War.
Area88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Humanoid and Roots Search are on my list, though.
Awesome, I love both these shows despite what others think. I look forward to their write-ups.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
All this talk of Angel Cop and not one mention of its original Manga Video trailer? That was quite possibly the worst advertisement ever created by anyone EVER. The first time I saw it, as the logo flew up in swathes of blood to the sound of gunfire, I think my heart skipped a beat...was this possibly the coolest, most violent-est anime ever? Then the trailer starts, with that awful animation, and the most terrible, flatly read narration ever committed to tape. You get two lines of dialogue, then they show Angel remove her motorcycle helmet. Over and over and over and over. She removes it in a loop a good dozen times as the narrator, who reads with about as much passion as a 3rd grade boy forced to stand up in front of the class, does his best to convince you NOT to buy it.

Back when this came out, I would have bought ANYTHING anime that I could afford. But despite how cheap this was, I wouldn't have bought it in a thousand years. I think I *may* have watched one episode, but it's been pushed from my mind, fortunately. But that trailer. I will NEVER forget that trailer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Parts of the plot synopsis is rife with errors. I'll try to correct a couple that I can see:

Quote:
Her new partner, Raiden (who inexplicably wears a leather jacket, no shirt, and carries around one of those 1988-era brick-sized cell phones in there somewhere)

IIRC, most of the agents were using a variant of those flip-phones type of deal (abit bulkier than current models). Only the boss used the traditional CB-radio in his 60's-70's era sedan.

Quote:
Their leader, a dude named Suyama, is just getting out of prison when they launch a surprise attack on the American Embassy.

spoiler[The attack on the embassy came first thru the use of a modified Porsche stolen from (Narita?) airport, and Suyama was captured while doing a bank robbery in Australia with Tachibana. The plane ride was an extradition motion.]

Quote:
Angel happily leaves Raiden for dead to go after her target.

spoiler[I don't recall Angel "happily" going after the Terrorists. I think Raiden tells her to go after them, despite his horrific injuries.]
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like Mike and the Bots would have fun riffing on this. Laughing
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I found the complete collection VHS at a garage sale for a dollar a year ago, and bought it, but haven't watched it because my VHS player isn't set up. Maybe I should do that...but I really hate dubs, even if they are so bad they're good, so I was waiting to get the DVD, but if it is that hard to find, maybe I should jusy watch the glossed over dub.

And the Unabriged subs are veeeery interesting...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I guess you can always count on the CPM and Manga Ent. back catalogues to provide the Worst Anime Evar. (And to a lesser extent, the random OVAs that ADV and Media-Blasters have released over the years.) I'd also like to suggest Demon City Shinjuku -- they had the audience rotfl-ing when they showed it as Mystery Anime Theater 3000 at Sogencon this year. It's another one of those rediculously swear-tastic dubs, with gems like spoiler["This girl will be sacrificed to open the gate to the Demon World!" "Like fuck she will!"]
Munty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I have this on VHS tape. Embarassed

Random Fact: This was censored by the BBFC! Laughing
(The bit in episode one where the person gets shot in the face twice was cut, and apparently part of a scene in episode 4)
Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I'd also like to suggest Demon City Shinjuku -- they had the audience rotfl-ing when they showed it as Mystery Anime Theater 3000 at Sogencon this year. It's another one of those rediculously swear-tastic dubs, with gems like spoiler["This girl will be sacrificed to open the gate to the Demon World!" "Like fuck she will!"]

Oh, come now. I actually kinda liked that dub. Yeah, the dialog was sometimes corny, but the voice acting wasn't that bad.

(Although admittedly it has been a while since I last saw it.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I now feel an odd need to check out the Humanoid ASP now that I know it's a future Buried Garbage.

Please tell me you're going to do a Knights of Ramune one. It's the #2 bad anime after Angel Cop to me.

[I think it's impossible to top any anime with a logo made with splattered blood]
cornelius99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Believe it or not...
"If this is justice then I'm a banana" is actually a quotation from a libel case in the UK in the late 80's involving a satiracal magazine being sued by the wife of a serial killer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/24/newsid_2503000/2503595.stm

Nearly as weird as "Angel Cop" -but not quite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5