• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Server on its Way

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamakun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:51 am Reply with quote
I never actually called my computer anything per-se, I named the hard-drives. Anime smile

For a while, it was Akito (first, smaller hard drive) and Yurika (second, larger hard drive).

One of those two drives died on me (Akito), and after a short while I had moved Yurika into a new case, and later acquired a new hard drive (about twice as large as Yurika).

I've since renamed Yurika (lesser) to Shuji and the new (bigger)unnamed one to Chise. Anime smile

Suggestions for your server? Um. Dunno >,>

EDIT: Oh, on a side note, is this why the "discuss" links don't update to have the correct amount of posts, or is that an hourly process?
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
"*Censor beep*ing Tin Box" has always worked for my desktop. Razz My new laptop I have been calling it the "Son of the *Beep*ing Tin Box."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:14 pm Reply with quote
A new server eh? Sounds good. It took me 20 minutes to just open up the homepage last night.

As for a name. How about just calling it "Central Dogma." I like the ring to it. Or, taking a page from Outlaw Star, you can call it "Gilliam." Or, if the server could actually talk, you can call it "Melfina." Heh, heh. Never mind.
spiku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, you guys should have a link to cologuys on your site.

I never knew you people were... in leauge with Ukyo.

hmm.. do you guys have a irc channel?

~spike
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Just call the bloody thing HAL and pray it doesn't try to kill you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cerberus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Navi would be a great name for the new server. After all, anything from Lain is good... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I just thought of this one randomly

The Nipponinator

or

The Fan Server
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I still vote for Bob.
ssjheero_yuy99

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I think you should name it Chi! After the computer in Chobits, since she is a very powerful computer and your new server is also a very powerful computer, (a lot better then mine), but probually cost about $2000-3000.

Well I vote for Chi!
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:32 pm Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:
- Omoikane: The Nadesico's main computer in Martain Sucessor Nadesico

I think Cologuys already have a server with that name, I'm pretty sure that's the name of Megatokyo's server.

spiku wrote:
I never knew you people were... in leauge with Ukyo.

Ukyo is crazy, met him at Portcon last year. He managed to turn a panel on web comics into a panel on bukkake. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm going to toss a name into the hat.

Otaking, it's the title used to describe anyone that reached the highest level of otakudom in Otaku no Video. A name worthy of the server containing "the internet's most trusted anime news source" I'd say.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Molen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:01 am Reply with quote
How about calling it "I'm fast but I'm no Opteron". It's a shame you had to go with the second best...
spiku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:42 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
radicaledward wrote:
- Omoikane: The Nadesico's main computer in Martain Sucessor Nadesico

I think Cologuys already have a server with that name, I'm pretty sure that's the name of Megatokyo's server.

Emerje

If i remember correctly, Nayuki and Makoto are the names of the megatokyo servers. Though, according to Dest, one of the aniverse IRCOPS, its "Network Outage" and "Downtime"

I hate to say it, but yes, I know Ukyo. He's a wacky guy, and I owe him some booze next time I see him.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:04 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Just call the bloody thing HAL and pray it doesn't try to kill you.

**laughs** I know, I named my computer at work HAL 9000 and it randomly starts itself up in the morning as well as turning file sharing on/off. Anyway, I also like the idea of the Magi from NGE.

"It was a bug, Dave. I feel much better admitting that now."
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:57 am Reply with quote
Molen wrote:
How about calling it "I'm fast but I'm no Opteron". It's a shame you had to go with the second best...

I'm a big fan of AMD (have an Athlon XP at home), but second fastest != second best.

Remember that I'm a network engineer and buying high end servers is pretty much second nature for me.

First up, the only proper Opteron servers right now are from IBM and Sun, with HP on its way. There are a few smaller vendors like Appro that sell Opteron servers, but I only buy HP, IBM, Sun or Intel (preferrence is for HP).

Anyways, the Opteron offerings from Sun and IBM would have cost me twice as much as what I paid for the intel server. Even the Appro 1100H, which I did consider mildly, would have cost 50% more.

Yet none of these servers would have lasted 150% or twice as long as the intel server, and its the ammortized cost that I look at when I buy something.

The Intel Server is overkill right now, I'm expecting it to last about 24 months, buying a more expensive server that would last 28 months would be stupid.

-t
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:50 am Reply with quote
So have you decided on what the name of the server will be? Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3