• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kujibiki Unbalance DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Between Carl Kimlinger and Bamboo Dong's review of Kujibiki Unbalance, I don't know whether to buy the dvd or not.

I want to watch the Genshiken Ova, but I also want to check this dvd myself and make my own option.

Forgive me if this question sounds intrusive, but I must ask this for the sake of viewing this series. Where did you purchase/rent this dvd Carl?

I have a netflix account, before buying this dvd, I'd really like to rent this dvd.

Great review none the less though. Of course the dub got a lower grade than the sub, but after almost a decade of watching anime, that is nothing new to me. No thing but a chicken wing like a co-worker I work with states.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
So, what? Is there some large segment of the Japanese population that does not understand the concept of "satire"?

I loved Genshiken, and I'll have to see the OVA episode somehow, but paying at minimum $15 for one episode of good anime? Ask me how many Bandai Visual discs I own.
RedTail

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
I really hope Media Blasters eventually releases the Genshiken OVA separately. I just don't feel like wasting money on Kuji-Un...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course the dub got a lower grade than the sub, but after almost a decade of watching anime, that is nothing new to me.
That is a little strange for this review though, since most of the comments about the dub were positive. Well, to the extent that "it's not quite as annoying as the Japanese track" can be positive anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if licensing contracts forced MB to release Kujiun TV and the Genshiken OVA in this fashion, since the Genshiken OVAs were included on (3 out of 6 of?) the Japanese Kujiun DVDs. I actually would've picked this up, except that the recent MB sale at TRSI excluded everything released in 2008. So maybe next time. I can't speak for Kujiun, but the Genshiken OVA is still worth collecting in some form or another. I don't know what happened with the staff and studio though, because I honestly thought the art in the 2004 TV series was better.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:58 am Reply with quote
I couldn't get through a few minutes of the Kujibiki bonus episodes on the Genshiken DVDs. I agree that $22 is a bit steep for one episode of Genshiken since I really can't stand Kujibiki. On the other hand MB released the three volume Midori days for $40 and later $25. Likewise the Gokusen 3 DVD collection MSRP was $20. Considering how inexpensive MB 3 disc collections are I would be willing to pay $20-40 for the three Genshiken episodes.
Strephon

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if licensing contracts forced MB to release Kujiun TV and the Genshiken OVA in this fashion, since the Genshiken OVAs were included on (3 out of 6 of?) the Japanese Kujiun DVDs.

From what I can decipher from the official website and the advertising poster I have hanging over my computer, it looks like the Japanese release took the form of 3 boxed sets, with one Genshiken episode per box. (The boxed sets contain more stuff than the US release, but they also cost the equivalent of $140, which has convinced me that $15-20 may not be so bad after all.)
eludeh

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
I will first say, that I enjoyed both Kujibiki and Genshiken aspects of this release. Media blasters has been pretty good at keeping voice casts for shows that cross over each other in some way, (ie Kujibiki/Genshiken and Comic Party/To Heart). For all those hardcore Genshiken fans, the previews in the Kujibiki episodes have comments by the Genshiken players. Laughing Thanks for consideration.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
From what I can decipher from the official website and the advertising poster I have hanging over my computer, it looks like the Japanese release took the form of 3 boxed sets, with one Genshiken episode per box.

Same format here in Taiwan.

eludeh wrote:
For all those hardcore Genshiken fans, the previews in the Kujibiki episodes have comments by the Genshiken players. Laughing

I found it even funnier at the end of manga volume 1. Madarame even owns dōjinshi by Keito Koume. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Of course the dub got a lower grade than the sub, but after almost a decade of watching anime, that is nothing new to me.
That is a little strange for this review though, since most of the comments about the dub were positive. Well, to the extent that "it's not quite as annoying as the Japanese track" can be positive anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if licensing contracts forced MB to release Kujiun TV and the Genshiken OVA in this fashion, since the Genshiken OVAs were included on (3 out of 6 of?) the Japanese Kujiun DVDs. I actually would've picked this up, except that the recent MB sale at TRSI excluded everything released in 2008. So maybe next time. I can't speak for Kujiun, but the Genshiken OVA is still worth collecting in some form or another. I don't know what happened with the staff and studio though, because I honestly thought the art in the 2004 TV series was better.

I know there is two sides of the spectrum here. I won't lie and day I enjoy both the dub and sub. If I rent/buy this dvd, I will probably watch the episodes in English. However, I don't mind subtitles for shows that have no English dub.

Chi's Sweet Home is one the series I enjoy in Japanese with English subtitles. The theme song is excellent in Japanese. I hope I didn't cause a arguement, because I don't want any trouble for the staff.
se37

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
I won't lie when I say that Kujibiki Unbalance 2006 was weak, however I don't think it was THAT bad. The 3rd episode with the sister and the love spray was great I thought. Being chased by everyone and everything. I brought Kujibiki Unbalance 2006 mostly because of Genshiken OVA (and I couldn't find a fansub good enough for Genshiken OVA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
am i the only one that actually liked this? seeing ogiue animated was also pretty awesome :))))))
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Forgive me if this question sounds intrusive, but I must ask this for the sake of viewing this series. Where did you purchase/rent this dvd Carl?

I have a netflix account, before buying this dvd, I'd really like to rent this dvd.

A lot of us ANN folks use http://www.rentanime.com. They have a huge selection, and great service.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

A lot of us ANN folks use http://www.rentanime.com. They have a huge selection, and great service.

Thank you Bamboo Dong. I'll check that site out right now. Thank you again.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...I had opportunites to watch Kujin on my Genshiken DVD, but I just couldn't.

I dunno why, anime like that has never appealed to me. I'll gladly wait for the Genshiken OVA to come out on DVD. I'd personally rent the Kujin DVD instead of buying it.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
This is worth it just for the Genshiken ova. The Yaoi discussions were priceless.

As for Kujibiki, it is pretty annoying, but I have seen worse, there is plenty of room for this series to improve as a satire of common anime types. Mecha/Brother complexes/all powerful organizations/... a grade schooler as treasurer? Throw in a main plot setup ripped from a dating sim, and it has the potential to say many things about the various genres.

It is cheap, low risk, just the thing I am more likely to take a blind chance on (as opposed to BVU).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2