• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 17 Hit or Stabbed, 7 Confirmed Dead in Tokyo's Akihabara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trunks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
There was a thread started on 2ch a little while ago on the Game Hardware board under the title "[News] In Akihabara, an Xbot ninja will be involved in a tragic slashing spree", with the text "Soon after 6/5, this is guaranteed to happen, so I thought I'd post the thread ahead of time."

Not sure if any press have caught on to this or not, but this can't be coincidental. :/
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
this is mass up he got 7 people and some with a knife
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
All that stress even thou the Japanese tend to take more vacation time than Americans............. gota love paradoxes.

Yeah, the problem is that they're not allowed to take it for more than a few days at a time. Americans tend to stack up vacation days and take a big vacation, whereas Japanese take one day here and one day there. My parents came to visit me in Japan two months ago, and when I said that my father took a week and a half off of work, every one of my Japanese friends was shocked. They had never heard of a vacation that long before.

Richard J. wrote:
On another note, since guns keep coming up despite having nothing to do with this incident (unless the police who arrested the guy had them) wouldn't it make more sense to champaign against the mindset that allows people to feel that murder is okay because they are unhappy than to champaign against guns? Not every society that's armed is also violent. Shouldn't our focus always be on the people and not the tools they use? Murder is murder regardless of the weapon involved.

Well said. Unfortunately, until we as a society buck up and admit that humans are not inherently good, we will continue to look for every other explanation under the sun. In the meantime, the easy and blaringly obvious answer eludes us.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
I was going to go to Tokyo today and pick up something in Akihabara, but I was out so late last night that I slept in and didn't go. And then I heard this news! Wow. It's a little creepy to be in Japan when this has happened, especially when I go to Tokyo so often. I still need to do my shopping so I'll be going to Akiba sometime this week, but now I wonder if it'll be different or if anything'll be closed off.

To be the victim of a surprise attack like that, especially on Sunday when the roads are closed off and everyone is wandering the streets, is pretty awful. Sad

Last edited by Michi on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Well said. Unfortunately, until we as a society buck up and admit that humans are not inherently good, we will continue to look for every other explanation under the sun. In the meantime, the easy and blaringly obvious answer eludes us.
You mean that he's a nutter with a knife and drives a truck?
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, crazy stuff. Grand Theft Auto: Tokyo.

-Tofu
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Putting that aside, since it's a semi-subjective view, wouldn't it be kind of odd not to suspect that this has something to do with otaku hate? I mean, it's not like Japan is a violent crime ridden country to begin with and given the location, it's not hard to make a leap of intuition. Also, given the fact this is being reported here, it adds to the natural impulse because otherwise what's the point.

"It's reported on ANN, because it's anime-related. We know that it is anime-related, because it is reported on ANN."

This is what is known as circular logic. I hope that, on reflection, you can see how erroneous it is.

Richard J. wrote:
Besides, seeking power in victimhood and the claim of innocence is practically a religion nowadays. (And some folks here may have experienced prejudice on a smaller scale and are thus more inclined to believe an incident is motivated by such.)

Precisely my point.

The cult of the holy victim is one of the most pervasive and pernicious of our modern quirks. It elevates people to a sanctified status, not through any virtue, but due to sheer misfortune. Victims are no more good or innocent than any other persons in the world -- but their situation calls forth pity and the media/public places them on a pedestal, whether deserved or not.

As a result of this, there is a tendency to seek personal elevation by association with victimhood, especially if the victim is especially "holy" or "innocent".

I am neither lying nor exaggerating when I tell you that an acquaintance of mine actually told me how "personally" hurt he was by 9/11, because his girlfriend's brother's co-worker had been killed in the collapse of the towers. Through this ridiculously tenuous connection, he seriously believed that he had the right to claim status as secondary victim of the attacks, and thereby to seek sympathy for his "great emotional suffering".

There's a word for that sort of thing, but I believe the word filters here block it.

Richard J. wrote:
Regardless, we'll hopefully find out more about the motive since the guy was arrested. Statistically speaking, there's a decent chance he'll confess everything.

Indeed. It's Japan.

Richard J. wrote:
On another note, since guns keep coming up despite having nothing to do with this incident (unless the police who arrested the guy had them) wouldn't it make more sense to champaign against the mindset that allows people to feel that murder is okay because they are unhappy than to champaign against guns? Not every society that's armed is also violent. Shouldn't our focus always be on the people and not the tools they use? Murder is murder regardless of the weapon involved.

I'd like to point out that there is absolutely nothing gun-related in this topic, and anyone who brings guns and the U.S. issues regarding guns into it, is deliberately taking the thread off-topic. Speaking as a moderator for a moment, there is a limit to how much of that will be tolerated.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
with this case, it is a good thing that he was captured and we can find the motive. this next part is a bit off topic so, sorry abunai. with all of the school shootings that happened over the past two years, the killer had always killed himself. one, there can be no true conclusion about the state of mind nor the motive in these cases, only speculation. also, the family's in this case my get to feel more of a sense of "revenge" when the man is dealt with
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A common argument in favor of hand guns is that if everyone has them then noone will just go off and start shooting knowing well that people may just return fire.

Then they obviously haven't been to the gang areas of L.A.

Rich:
Quote:
On another note, since guns keep coming up despite having nothing to do with this incident (unless the police who arrested the guy had them) wouldn't it make more sense to champaign against the mindset that allows people to feel that murder is okay because they are unhappy than to champaign against guns? Not every society that's armed is also violent.

No, but societies which are armed and stupid tend to be violent... Rolling Eyes

As for it not having to do anything with anime/manga, who cares? A lot of ANN people benefit from the commerce they've engaged in there, while in Japan, and they're just giving back by showing their concern for the people who live there. It's like when Jet Li chose to start up a charity, after having survived the tsunami a few years back. He had no obligation to do it, since he was in the same boat, but he recognized he could do something useful with his recognition and resources.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
with this case, it is a good thing that he was captured and we can find the motive.
According to my AP report on page 4, he told police he just felt like it.
Michael_Arnold

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Update 9: Jiji Press and Byōkan Sunday report that a message, titled "I will kill people in Akihabara," was posted on a mobile phone bulletin board about seven hours before the fatal hit-and-run incident and the stabbing incident in Akihabara. The message reportedly reads:

I Will Kill People in Akihabara

06/08 05:21

I will come barging in with a vehicle, and if I can't use a vehicle, I will use a knife. Farewell, everyone.

I don't know if this is in the English language news yet, but there are also reports circulating in Japanese now that in late May, someone posted threats on 2 Channel about a plan to kill people in Akihabara on or after the 5th of June. I skimmed through some of the original threads and a few people responded (in May) saying that they reported the messages to the police. Up to and around the 5th, some posters wrote responses saying they were really worried that the warning might be for real, and were checking the news and bbs to see if anything had happened yet.

There are also reports about how people stood around and took photos while the crime was happening and immediately afterwards, and then about how people were begging the amateur photographers to give them copies of their cell phone pictures of Kato...

I also found some videos and messages online from people complaining about the way bystanders were acting during the live news broadcasts at the scene. People in the background were waving or making faces at the camera while the newscasters reported on people getting stabbed. Apparently a lot of viewers in Japan are pissed off about it.

Michael Arnold
chicogrande

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Senseless loss of life no matter how you look at it.
The only logical reasons he killed people where he did:

1- One place where there were many people.

2- He lived nearby.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Michael_Arnold wrote:
Quote:
Update 9: Jiji Press and Byōkan Sunday report that a message, titled "I will kill people in Akihabara," was posted on a mobile phone bulletin board about seven hours before the fatal hit-and-run incident and the stabbing incident in Akihabara. The message reportedly reads:

I Will Kill People in Akihabara

06/08 05:21

I will come barging in with a vehicle, and if I can't use a vehicle, I will use a knife. Farewell, everyone.

I don't know if this is in the English language news yet, but there are also reports circulating in Japanese now that in late May, someone posted threats on 2 Channel about a plan to kill people in Akihabara on or after the 5th of June. I skimmed through some of the original threads and a few people responded (in May) saying that they reported the messages to the police. Up to and around the 5th, some posters wrote responses saying they were really worried that the warning might be for real, and were checking the news and bbs to see if anything had happened yet.
(looks over his shoulder at 4chan)

Quote:
There are also reports about how people stood around and took photos while the crime was happening and immediately afterwards, and then about how people were begging the amateur photographers to give them copies of their cell phone pictures of Kato...

I also found some videos and messages online from people complaining about the way bystanders were acting during the live news broadcasts at the scene. People in the background were waving or making faces at the camera while the newscasters reported on people getting stabbed. Apparently a lot of viewers in Japan are pissed off about it.

Michael Arnold
It is Otaku Central. What else were they expecting? Rolling Eyes
Michael_Arnold

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
chicogrande wrote:

1- One place where there were many people.

Just about anywhere in downtown Tokyo would be packed with people on a Sunday.

Quote:
2- He lived nearby.

Shizuoka is nowhere near Akihabara. He'd have to drive all morning to get to Akihabara by noon (and probably pass through Shibuya, which would likely have more people than Akihabara).

Michael Arnold
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Michael_Arnold wrote:

I'm not too surprised with that reaction of bystanders, and I wonder if my theory of Japanese being much more afraid of a bladed weapon than a blunt weapon could have attributed in some degree to this reaction. Could it also be attributed to samurai's license to kill?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9