• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Gets Indian Summer Anime, Five Live-Action Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetstream2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Indian Summer (Koharu Biyori) doesn't really interest me at all but depending on its price I may or may not get it at some point. I know I wouldn't pay much for it but I would consider it if its cheap. As for the live action films they licensed I know I won't be buying any of them. I have absolutely zero interest in foreign live action films and doubt I will ever buy any from ADV or any other company.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Why did they license more titles if they're having money problems?
bigcathead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Most likely because they're going to need further financing. It's difficult to apply for a loan if you don't have something in the pipeline.

Ex:

"Wow! We've licensed the following titles and with a bit more cash we can get back on our feet as a successful company!"

vs.

"Umm...we're kinda bummed because we're broke as all get out and really aren't currently doing anything to remain in the business".
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I guess that's true. So they probably licensed the only thing they could afford. Well, I hope they try to whore it out a lot then, otherwise it won't help them at all.
roesnail

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
[Macross Frontier can't be licensed due to many reasons. But stuff like Library War, Real Drive, Allison & Lillia, Daughter of Twenty Faces, Kaiba, Kanokon, Bartender, Moyashimon, ef - a tale of memories, Rosario + Vampire, and others. Also, $20-30 dollars for an hour and 15 minutes is actually a pretty big loss when a show has no re-watch value, thus you won't be able to re-sell it. And don't tell me Game Stop, they'll give what, 2 bucks? Price it at an MSRP of $19.99, and maybe we'll be talking a reasonable price for crap.

i am a collector. i never sell anything at gamestop. even if its a one time watch, it will go on one of my shelf's and look good next to all my other anime titles
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo: It's no worse than MB's line-up over the last few years, and they still managed to get Voltron and Gaogaigar, so I think ADV should be fine. And I'm sure their thinpacks will do well enough for them to get something good down the road.
nuaythebest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't believe that most people here expected a nearly broke company to licensed a big title? ADV , as of right now, isn't as strong as they were anymore. In fact, I think they are already left behind by a small company like MB. Being alive and announce some licenses is already a miracle for them because I expect them to go down like CPM.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Do these live action titles even sell well? They are the only things that, don't really move off the shelves at the Best buys I visit. Even during a sale.

They move pretty solidly for the Best Buy I work at, and the others in our area. Most of our stores have even been expanding our selection of Asian Live Action lately.

If ADV doesn't dub most of these, I think they stand a good chance at making a profit on them. Media Blasters does well enough. But who knows about the actual quality of the movies themselves.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Daimao: Dunno if Gin Tama the anime could really be a cash cow. It might end up suffering the same fate as Bo^7.
Gintama parodies well known shows like Naruto,Bleach, and DBZ so people would actually get the humor. Gintama would fit well on Adult Swim being as it makes fun of popular titles.

Here's some news on ADV's Panel(I dunno if ANN will post the highlights):

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=7855&page=25

Quote:
ADV Otakon Panel 2008 News (additional info added)
"ADV is doing better than expected" (direct quote from ADV) after the dissolved partnership with Sojitz, thanks to the fans, retailers, worldwide partners, the down cost cuts ADV has made in the company. "We are reorganizing to be much more profitable."

ADV has replaced Sojitz after Anime Expo sometime in July..with 3rd "parties" (currently unknown if it's multiple companies or just one) and they hope to announce it in the near future.

ADV has licensed 5 Live Action titles and 1 Anime Title, Koharu Biyori and potentially another anime they couldn't announce today.
ADV has more anime titles they are very close to getting, including "one that everyone asks."

A lot of ADV re-release box sets will be coming in the near future, including some titles that have never been released in boxsets, as well as some titles that have not been on DVD before.

There may be news on Evangelion Live Action later on this year: Joseph Cho (of Appleseed Deus Ex Machina) is involved.

ADV stated they are not interested in getting back any of the 30 titles that were transfered by Sojitz. It is in the past. No Contracts have been signed yet, but ADV is still in negotiations with the rights holders/Funimation to continue productions to complete the titles.
Most of the Live Action stuff will be released only subtitles as ADV wants to get them out quickly and they want to clear their plate with the Sojitz titles remaining, before focusing on new stuff.

Blu-Ray releases are expected, and will have announcements at the end of the year.

Kiba being on TV depends on Toonami Jetstream status, and DVD releases depend on when Upper Deck decides the go ahead.

ADV Anime is coming to Playstation Network. (ADV was first to Xbox)

5 cm per second and Kurau is still caught up in licensing limbo. The Japanese licensor is still deciding both, although Kurau likely went to Funimation as part of the Sojitz transfers (but right now no one knows what's going on with it, including Funimation).

ADV was asked, per the rumors, if they merged with Funimation. ADV said No.

When asked about picking up Geneon titles, ADV said "there is a lot of stuff we are working on that we can't announce."
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
There's a very solid market for trashy Asian cinema that a lot of people in this discussion are overlooking. None of them are going to sell anywhere near the number of copies that top anime series do, but I imagine that they'll do better than many of the obscure ones. Those films are probably cheaper to license than a lot of anime series, and unlike long-term series you don't have to worry about sales dropping off after the first disk. So considering the position ADV is in I think this is a pretty good decision.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki's repost beat me to some of this, and not that it necessarily helps or rebuts the same tired arguments going through, but the two points John & Matt kept saying at the panel were:
1 - That they were releasing these dub-only at least for now to get them out to market quickly.
2 - They have been in furious contract marathon sessions over in Japan since AX (just getting back in recently,) and needed to finish hashing out the last fine details of the other 15 titles before formal annoucements can go out (how they went from 6 titles to 8 of 23 I didn't understand, but is beside the point.) It generally followed the usual pre-finalization reponse to requests about big titles (such as the new Eva animted & LA movies) of "notice our response does not include the word no." We will just have to see how things go.

Also, they fully admitted the LA films were, shall we say, not of the highest cinematic caliber and more suitable for satire than serious viewing.

Not related to the comments above, but I was glad to hear them say they were pushing for BD releases at least as the original content allows ... we need more out there.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
There's a very solid market for trashy Asian cinema that a lot of people in this discussion are overlooking. None of them are going to sell anywhere near the number of copies that top anime series do, but I imagine that they'll do better than many of the obscure ones. Those films are probably cheaper to license than a lot of anime series, and unlike long-term series you don't have to worry about sales dropping off after the first disk. So considering the position ADV is in I think this is a pretty good decision.
Yes, and the trashy Asian movies are more likely to land on the million movie networks out there. It they do, that means more money for ADV. Which is funny because most of ADV's anime titles don't get to TV.

Last edited by Daimao Raki on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Is 'Attack Girl Swim Team vs. The Undead' also known as Oneechan Bara?

Other than that, I didn't know ADV still had the guts to license stuff, since a heck of a lot of their stuff went to Funi.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Daimao: Bo^7 parodies DBZ and YYH. But to be fair, mismanagement is what killed its chances here, so maybe GT has a chance.

Quote:

ADV stated they are not interested in getting back any of the 30 titles that were transfered by Sojitz. It is in the past.

Don't really blame them. Only a few of them would actually be profitable, while the rest are dead weight.

Kagemusha: Yep. That's precisely the reason that Disotek's releasing more Asian stuff and not putting out Lupin: Babylon. Crying or Very sad
AyaReiko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Macross Frontier can't be licensed due to many reasons. But stuff like Library War, Real Drive, Allison & Lillia, Daughter of Twenty Faces, Kaiba, Kanokon, Bartender, Moyashimon, ef - a tale of memories, Rosario + Vampire, and others.

And KimiAru, Bamboo Blade, Minami-ke, CLANNAD, Potemayo, D.C., Manabi Straight!, Hidamari Sketch, Myself;Yourself, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, School Days, Spice and Wolf...

Face it, if those six is the best ADV can license, they are done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5