• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Rosario Phoenix, Ace Vampire

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I already knew the Phoenix Wright book was a compilation, but I'm hoping if it sells well enough they're license the manga series as well. I read some scanlations of the actual manga series and it's not bad. Personally I'm glad it had different stories to the game, because as awesome as those stories in the game are, it loses alot when you know what happens.
I'm definitley buying this, though. Silly things like this make me happy. Very Happy
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I know it's an easy target, but thank you RTO, for sticking it to Princess Ai and DJ Milky. He and Courtney Love have every right to write a fantastic version of her life, but put some thought and imagination into it, write it as if someone other than Courtney Love would want to read it, and for Heaven's sakes, please write her as a more well-rounded character.

It wouldn't bug me half as much of some of the OEL Manga artists and Japanese licenses I actually liked weren't getting the boot for this bull. Then again, it is Stu Levy's company, so who are we lowly mortals (and our silly wallets) to say otherwise?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Burst Angel is actually a more enjoyable manga than this reviewer makes it sound. To put it in one way: if you're a fan of the anime to begin with, then you'll definitely find this manga to be a real treat, as it offers a glimpse of Jo and Meg's life before they were recruited by Sei. How is it 'cashing in on someone else's franchise' when Gonzo's name is right there in the credit?
Two things that stand out:
-the action sequences are really well done, in the sense that they're easy to follow. I've read plenty of action manga where they do odd cuts and shots here and there where I end up having to backtrack to see what I missed.
-For anyone who thought that Jo and Meg's relationship had romantic subtext to it, this manga confirms that they are in fact a couple, and we get to see more obvious yuri moments between them in the second volume.

It's cashing in on someone else's franchise because it's targeting the fans of the anime. Accept it for what it is; unless you already like the characters, the Burst Angel manga isn't anything special. Yes, seeing spoiler[Meg get excited about sharing a bed with Jo] in the second volume is enjoyable, but only if you already were reading into the subtext in the anime.
driverstart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:15 am Reply with quote
I recently picked up the Phoenix Wright book and was surprise by this book with completely different stories written by different people. I like it though. It gives me the same warm happy feeling when I read Cat Eyed Boy or Mushishi with such a nice variety. If I don't like one story, there is always another I'll probably like.

As Rosario+Vampire, say what you will, I will ignore your statement and buy the next volume anyways. I enjoy the series because I find the story interesting and do sort like all the monsters in it.
juno_senei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
pinkchanwithamask wrote:
ಠ_ಠ

DEL REEEEEEEYYY!!! *crushes her scouter*

THERE'S AN ACTUAL PHOENIX WRIGHT MANGA.
WHY DID YOU LICENSE THE FANBOOK COMPILATION!?

I-I.

I TRUSTED YOU!!! *runs away crying*

*sighs*

I agree. However my reaction was more of "GRRRRR!!!!" ^^;;

But hey, you never know because Del Rey may turn around and decide to license the actual manga. Anime smile
Selkie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quote
I thought it looked like the girl from Bizenghast on the cover of the Princess Ai book and low and behold it is! I wonder if anyone at Tokyopop has a brain.
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I was about to RAGE HARD when I saw Princess Ai listed under "World Manga of the Month."

Then I read "The very fact that this book exists should be evidence enough against it. Seriously, Tokyopop staff are getting laid off left and right and struggling artists aren't ever going to get to finish their stories and yet some guy keeps getting the wherewithal to finance his pet project? Such corporate shenanigans." and I felt much better.

Many kudos, Mr. Carlos Santos, for calling a spade a spade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2