• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Giant Annual ANN Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maddoghoek100

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
ladygoddess8 wrote:
Here is a photo gallery of my pumpkin. Sorry if I seem to be bragging but I worked really hard and just cannot help it.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=kox1fcd.9ofh9e5&x=0&y=-3tuwnf&localeid=en_US

Looks like you have some nice work. Not sure how you have them lit. But i find that taking the top off a cheap lamp and hanging it inside the pumpkin with a coat hanger works great. Candle is not ever going to match a 60 watt bulb.
RiderG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
maddoghoek100 wrote:
Looks like you have some nice work. Not sure how you have them lit. But i find that taking the top off a cheap lamp and hanging it inside the pumpkin with a coat hanger works great. Candle is not ever going to match a 60 watt bulb.

it's nice to know i'm not the only one who thought of doing that. i felt like i was cheating Anime hyper
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
i had to do that too because my pumpkin was freakin thick.
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow I never thought to use a lightbulb before! lol I just used a huge fat candle. Worked swell for me. I had a thick pumpkin too...but I scraped at it for a looong time to get it right.

I can't wait to see the winners! I would be happy with just winning a t-shirt though. Very Happy But Kudos to all who win! ^__^
ladygoddess8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
That is a great idea. I used a few booklights because I had no candles. Thanks.
Wuntvor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
maddoghoek100 wrote:

Yeah, as long as you use a flourescent bulb, instead of a standard 60 watt. I made the mistake once of using a real bulb in my pumpkin, I was wondering who was baking pumpkin pies. Remember those old Betty Crocker - Easy Bake Ovens ©™, they only used a 60 watt bulb, but you could bake a cupcake in them. Very Happy

I used those little emergency lights you can buy at cheap discount hardware stores. You know the kind you stick to the wall with double stick tape and then tap the dome to turn it on? take a AA battery or two to operate and are about as bright as a flashlight, but they are cheap, and they work well for pumpkins. If you want really bright, but cool, light get yourself one of the new LED bulbs. Cost quite a bit per bulb, but they are definitely going to light up your pumpkin. You can also get the ones that change color. Now that is awesome! Cool
qwertybob900

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
When are the winners coming out? Question
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Wuntvor wrote:
maddoghoek100 wrote:

Yeah, as long as you use a flourescent bulb, instead of a standard 60 watt. I made the mistake once of using a real bulb in my pumpkin, I was wondering who was baking pumpkin pies. Remember those old Betty Crocker - Easy Bake Ovens ©™, they only used a 60 watt bulb, but you could bake a cupcake in them. Very Happy

I used those little emergency lights you can buy at cheap discount hardware stores. You know the kind you stick to the wall with double stick tape and then tap the dome to turn it on? take a AA battery or two to operate and are about as bright as a flashlight, but they are cheap, and they work well for pumpkins. If you want really bright, but cool, light get yourself one of the new LED bulbs. Cost quite a bit per bulb, but they are definitely going to light up your pumpkin. You can also get the ones that change color. Now that is awesome! Cool

Oooo! I never would have thought of doing that! I made a Spike from Cowboy Bebop about 5 years ago and that would have been awesome if I had a green bulb to make his hair look awesome! Jeez...now I need to up my game in 09 Anime smallmouth
JamminBison

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
If you want to make colors on the pumpkin outside of painting it, put colored cellophane on the inside. Then you can put it in different sections and get a really good effect. :3
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
JamminBison wrote:
If you want to make colors on the pumpkin outside of painting it, put colored cellophane on the inside. Then you can put it in different sections and get a really good effect. :3

These are some really good tips! I have access to cellophane sheets lol and a bunch of green and red ones from my high school. (I had friends that working with the lighting on stage and what not) Unfortunately i'm in college now! *wonders if I can still get them for next year...*

Thanks for the tips!
fastandman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Sa-chan66 wrote:
fastandman wrote:
wow!!!, the competetion is hard!!!. well this was my first year, lets see my luck. great pumpkins everyone

Which pumpkin was yours? Anime smile Mine was the last Kamina I believe with the name: Sa-Chan. And I was very suprised with the turnout! Then again, if you take away all the people who posted more than one, the chances of more people winning is great. I'm glad that they only allow one win per person. Anime smallmouth

My favorite though was the Serial Experiments Lain one. Very Happy

mine is Jose Montes, it is the same has my avatar. it is the night version of it.[img][/img]
maddoghoek100

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Bummer there is still no word on winners. Maybe this means they are trying to find more prizes so that everyone can be a winner, or perhaps not.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, Yuko was wrong. There are more than two Mokonas! I love it. Laughing
strahl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
have you had the feeling that you dont recognize whats in fron of you?
there are some pumpkins that I just dont know what they are, they dont have any form at all, I dont mean series, I mean shape..

is the first time someone has to explain what the "pumpkin" looks like
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
strahl wrote:
have you had the feeling that you don't recognize whats in fron of you?
there are some pumpkins that I just don't know what they are, they don't have any form at all, I don't mean series, I mean shape..

is the first time someone has to explain what the "pumpkin" looks like

??? All the entries look like they were from pumpkins (or at least some sort of gourd). I'm not exactly sure what you mean with your post. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13