• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Broccoli International USA to Shut Down by Year's End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juhachi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
Urgh, this is horrible news. Amazon lists the second Sola manga for a December 1 release, but if I order it, will I even get it?
Shii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:38 am Reply with quote
Perhaps a word or two from Moetan Volume 3 will soothe the pain:

"Bill: Where are the girls with their cat-eared hats?"

"Sam: Haha! Oh, Bill, you are too late! She has already returned to her home planet."
Maryohki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:40 am Reply with quote
Ugh, not cool. There were some Boysenberry titles I wanted to pick up, too.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
Leon Evolon wrote:
I guess this puts a few good manga series out in the cold, huh. Broccoli was a nice little company, I always enjoyed their booth at conventions. They will be missed. Sad

You're absolutely right. If you ever stopped by their booth at the San Diego Comic Con they always had cool import stuff along with the domestic stuff they carried. I'll really miss seeing them there.

I haven't had my morning coffee yet and reading this kind of news pisses me off. I liked these folks and was very happy when I could pick up the sola manga while waiting for the dvd to be released.

Like others have said, time to get any Galaxy Angel manga volumes I haven't gotten around to purchasing...
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:
Urgh, this is horrible news. Amazon lists the second Sola manga for a December 1 release, but if I order it, will I even get it?

I've seen sola in the local Borders, it might be worth checking at your nearby ones.

oops... you meant the second volume... never mind...
se37

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
Darn, well that explains why I didn't see them this year at Otakon. Last time I saw them was at Otakon 2007. I really liked their booth and titles they picked up. Another company is hit by the after effect of the anime bubble in America. Guess I'll have to start learning Japanese if things keep up like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ligene

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
How sad, Pandora Hearts will more than likely remained unlicensed for a while now. D:

While I was never fond of their packaging, they always licensed very interesting titles (Kamui for example). Will be missed, definitely.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote
Sad, but not unexpected. They were the definition of "niche".
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote
Ghstmtrx wrote:
I always did like Broccoli, although they have been really in the dark for awhile now. I do wonder what will happen to the series they have now like My Dearest Devil Princess and Honoka Level Up! *sigh* I hate it when I can't finish a series.

Goodbye Broccoli Crying or Very sad

Anime cry S-Same here. I really fell in love with Broccoli's Juvenile Orion series and even bought the artbook. When I heard on the forums the possibility of an anime adaptation, my heart swelled with joy, but now it seems that may never happen, which saddens me to no end.

What's worse is that the fate of a series I was (and still am) looking forward to, Pandora Hearts, is now in question.

I'm gonna hurry to buy another set of Aquarian Age for my friend, as she enjoyed it very much, too, so that it doesn't go the way of some older series and be nigh impossible to locate. Crying or Very sad

Farewell, dear Broccoli. You shall always hold a special place in my herat and on my shelves.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
Wait a minute! Does this mean that the only I'll ever get FLCL is if I find some used collection online for $500? Dang. I wonder if someone will pick up their properties. I hate to say FUNimation for fear of sounding like some proud fanboy, but they've been doing quite a bit of "saving" lately. I wonder if they'll do something.
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Sad news. I'm another Pandora Hearts fan who was looking forward to its release. Maybe another company will pick it up? Perhaps Yen Press since they have a deal with Square Enix now? If I happen to see the Juvenile Orion artbook still lying around a bookstore I may grab it now because it looks like this will be the last chance to get it. I enjoyed the series and regret not buying the Kaname cell phone strap when it was offered on Broccoli's web site. Sad
Warstar77

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
dont worry i am sure broccoli will give its stuff to someone and i hope that it will and its not end of the world i think they will give there manga to someone and something will turn up ok.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
WTF?!?!?!?!?
I am SO MAD right now......
I waited THREE YEARS for the manga NUI! to be released here in the states......
.....and then I waited another 4 extra months because the release date was pushed back TWICE......
.....and now the company's going under before I even get a chance to read the darn thing!?!?!?!?!??!
RRRRRAAAAAAGGGGGGEEEEEE!!!!!

Evil or Very Mad
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
Aw man, I still dont have all the Galaxy Angel books!

But they are right about competition - the manga sector is highly competitive - too many titles out there, and priced too high for the most part. If only they could get the books out at the same price they go for in Japan, and not 3 times the price...
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
Yamato Nase fans better grab up Pet on Duty while there's still copies available for under a king's ransom...

Hopefully someone else will pick up Cigarette Kisses...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4