6 Humanity Hating A.I.
by Lynzee Loveridge,
Characters in fiction have treated artificial intelligence with a sense of wary respect ever since HAL refused to open the hatch for Dave in Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, and rightfully so. Ever helpful robotic superweapon has the propensity to to go haywire and wipe out humanity if given enough slack. On the other hand, they resent being reigned in too closely, too. Humanity isn't guilt free; its very lack of human-ness often causes the robotic uprising in the first place.
6. Boomers (Bubblegum Crisis 2040) The boomers are the next stage in robotic slave labor. They are programmed to perform menial tasks and entry level positions all while taking abuse from their human overlords. When a Boomer snaps after one too many days of getting coffee thrown in its face, it turns into a hulking form of human-hating evil and destroys everything in sight.
5. Zonderians (The King of Braves GaoGaiGar) Zonderians are kinda like Transformers: an parasitic alien race fused with metal. The Zonderians abduct human hosts to merge with their techie bodies. Their goal is to absorb all of humanity and are led by four (menacing?) leaders named after Italian food and dancing. Okay, actually, Penchinon is horrifying but the humanoid Zonderian forms are look cool.
4. Sibyl (Psycho-Pass) The Sibyl System (whose name either came from the Greek prophetesses or the famous MPD case) both singularly hates mankind while doing its best to maintain future-Japan's status quo. By status quo, I mean a fascist-kind of thought control peace where people aren't murdered but also don't actively make any real life decisions. For not actively trying to wipe mankind, Sybil gets the middle spot on The List but one could argue more-or-less enslaving humanity is just as bad.
3. Sharon Apple (Macross Plus) Sharon Apple wasn't born bad, she was just programmed that way. The lead scientist on the hologram idol (wait a second...) implants an illegal chip in her that causes her programming to adopt personality traits similar to her "producer," Myung Fang Lone. She takes begins actively pursuing Lone's love interest and decides the best way to win him over is give him the ride of his life: death. She uses a mix of hypnosis, the Macross, and an X-9 Ghost drone to declare her undying robolove.
2. Tima (Metropolis) Tima was created as a replacement for Duke Red's deceased daughter with near perfect artificial intelligence. A series of explosions and deaths leaves Tima in confusion and unaware that she isn't actually a human being. When the revelation is brought to her attention, she snaps and decides to take revenge on mankind with a series of nuclear attacks and biological warfare. Metropolis is decimated and the surviving citizens flee the rubble for good.
1. Casper (Neon Genesis Evangelion) Does Casper hate humanity or does it/she simply love Gendo Ikari more than life on Earth? Regardless of the technical explanation, she chooses Gendo, SEELE, and The Instrumentality Project over Earth. All of humanity suffers the consequences, returning to a single consciousness, primordial soup.
The new poll: Con season means a two-part question: Are you attending in cons this season? If so which ones? Maybe I'll see you!
The old poll: Last week's poll asked which of the summer anime are you looking forward to the most? In another very close poll, Free! took the top spot by ONE vote, pushing it ahead of Monogatari Second Season. Here's the full results:
- Free! 13.5%
- Monogatari Series Second Season 13.4%
- The World God Only Knows: Goddesses Arc 11.7%
- Silver Spoon 11.1%
- Blood Lad 5.9%
- High School DxD New 5.8%
- Rozen Maiden 4.7%
- Genshiken: Second Season 4.5%
- Danganronpa Kibō no Gakuen to Zetsubō no Kōkōsei The Animation 4.3%
- Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 4.3%
- Chō Jigen Game Neptune The Animation 2.5%
- Gatchaman Crowds 2.1%
- Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! 1.9%
- Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East 1.8%
- Uchōten Kazoku 1.6%
- Tamayura - More Aggressive 1.2%
- Kamisama no Inai Nichiyōbi 1.2%
- Senki Zesshō Symphogear G 1.1%
- Kimi no Iru Machi 1.0%
- Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS 1.0%
- Makai Ōji: Devils and Realist 0.9%
- Servant × Service 0.6%
- Senyū. Dai 2 Ki 0.6%
- Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3 0.6%
- Recorder and Randsell Mi 0.5%
- Kin-iro Mosaic 0.3%
- Teekyū 0.3%
- Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyō 0.3%
- Brothers Conflict 0.3%
- Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyō 0.3%
- Futari wa Milky Holmes 0.3%
- Love Lab 0.2%
- Gifū Dōdō!! Kanetsugu to Keiji 0.1%
- Fantasista Doll 0.1%
- Kitakubu Katsudō Kiroku 0.0%
Alright everybody, see you all next week! I look forward to your input in the comments and feel free to follow me on Twitter @ANN_Lynzee or e-mail me at [email protected]
discuss this in the forum (39 posts) |