• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Blu-Ray Discs

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike3560

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Just came across mention of this today. If you haven't heard it's basically the sucessor to DVD, being able to store alot more info on it by using a blue laser as oppossed to a red one. I'm sure there's others here who know the technical side of it better so I'll let them explain it.

Nine big companies across Europe and Asia, including Pioneer have already signed on to 1 standard, but there's still some out there who might push for their own standard. Basically I'm wondering what this'll mean for all our DVD collections.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:40 pm Reply with quote
mike3560 wrote:

Nine big companies across Europe and Asia, including Pioneer have already signed on to 1 standard, but there's still some out there who might push for their own standard. Basically I'm wondering what this'll mean for all our DVD collections.

Since I still have well over a hundred VHS tapes and DVDs of anime and live-action movies, it doesn't bother me too much, I just depends with the new stuff has compared to the old, but mostly that I have to put down another fist full of dollars just to get a new piece of hardware (much like the new game systems.)

Now that I think about, MIB "*K holds up a Mini-CD* Did you know that this well replace CDs soon. I just have to buy the White albma (sp) again." (Too bad I don't have the movie with me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dudesup

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 5:57 pm Reply with quote
AGH! Dont mention those blue discs. I hope they dont replace dvds in the near future now that im buying anime on dvd Confused
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Here's a column on the Digital Bits, making a good case that the current ruby laser DVD format will dominate for quite some time to come; the blue laser technology is currently just too expensive for low-cost consumer product applications.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1