• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Cancels Future FMA: Brotherhood Blu-ray Discs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I agree. UK BD buyers got to support the home distributor or they won't have UK BDs.

As well-meaning and diligent as their staff members may be, one would find it hard to support local companies to an extent sufficient to prevent news like this. To do so, as vulcanraven01 mentions, would involve incurring greater costs and waiting longer periods of time.

Aside for an implausible reduction in BBFC requirements and fees, and also an decrease in the minimum print run permitted for BD releases, I can conceive of no way to prevent this sort of eventuality. One fathoms that Funimation provide plenty of assistance to their sub-licensees, though there are only so many negative factors said assistance can counteract.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
He's stated that FMA as a whole sold fine, but the BDs just weren't selling enough, especially since sales decrease volume-on-volume for long series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nilrem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
This news feels like a bit of a kick in the teeth for those of us who have been buying the UK blu-s (alll 700 of us:p), but I can't fault Manga's position if they really are doing that poorly with the FMA:B blu-ray sales.

However as I've bought the first couple of blu, and I'm enjoying the PQ/sound I suspect I'll be importing the third and forth sets from Australia if I can find a good price (inc shipping).
gtmacc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Well that news certainly sucks, so i was only 1 of 750 to buy the blu ray over here so far Sad not good news for blu ray anime.

Going to have to import the rest of the series on blu ray now if thats possbile, would of prefered to have my money going to the uk anime industry though.
Nephtis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote
slykura wrote:
FYI - The US version will be Region A only from volume 3. The AU Madman version will go region b only from Volume 3. So if you can get your hands on the AU one be our guest. It's region B so will be compatible in the UK.

Excellent. Hopefully I find the cash from Christmas to begin investing in these.

Feel bad for those in the UK but wow those sales are super poor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
But the UK isn't buying too many BD anyways, 1.5 BD movies/year/BD player owner.
Geh, those numbers aren't great are they? I've bought more Blu-Ray than that and I've only got 4 freaking things!

Even ignoring those general numbers, the sales were terrible for FMA: B over there. I hope it was due to imports from the US because that's just not right otherwise. The show started a bit weak due to re-telling the same material from the first series but DAMN. Once it got into the new manga-based material, I finally understood why some people were so angry with the first series. (It was great in my opinion but this version is great too!)

750 copies. . . . That's just plain awful.

I loved the original but too am excited for more Brotherhood

Same here, loved the first series and am loving the new one.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I agree. UK BD buyers got to support the home distributor or they won't have UK BDs.
Very true. The same could be said for certain other fans of certain products who don't buy any licensed releases but that's a whole other can of brain worms.

I'm actually pretty suprised by those numbers though. Perhaps it's just a personal misconception but I always thought Europe in general and the UK in particular were first-adopters when it came to electronics. (Well, the wealthier countries, clearly if your people are having trouble buying groceries they're probably skipping the Blu-Rays.)

I wonder if the recession over there has played a bigger role in this than first thought would suggest.

DangerMouse wrote:
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
I loved the original but too am excited for more Brotherhood
Same here, loved the first series and am loving the new one.
Agreed! The two series are quite different after a point but I like both very much as well. The new series has been getting me with the new characters and different take on the homunculi.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I wonder if the recession over there has played a bigger role in this than first thought would suggest.

The economic downturn has been mentioned as a problem by industry sources, but I've yet to be informed that the market in question has suffered disproportionally to other local markets affected by our poor exchange rates.

One must note that many fans consider the number of locally-available anime Blu-Rays to be insufficient to justify upgrading to such a standard. This is certainly my view on the matter. Because the industry relies upon customer support, one might suggest that the effect of such an attitude upon the BD market is vicious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Or perhaps the anime itself wasn't popular enough to deserve BD over here. If we had BDs for the first FMA I'm pretty confident it would sell a lot more than the second.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

One must note that many fans consider the number of locally-available anime Blu-Rays to be insufficient to justify upgrading to such a standard. This is certainly my view on the matter. Because the industry relies upon customer support, one might suggest that the effect of such an attitude upon the BD market is vicious.

I think that is very much a major part of it.
I went Blu not because of the anime, but because at the time I had some spare cash, and the player had several discs with it making it a good deal.

The amount of anime on blu here is so small that there is zero incentive to upgrade to blu, unless you're able to get a good deal on a player, or are looking at a player for more general blu-ray discs.

I think there are a grand total of 41 blu-ray anime discs listed at one of the big retailers, and that includes pre-orders up to March (and a couple with no date), several mis listed discs (street fighter the movie), and a couple that are double packs and listed both separately and as part of the double pack.
The Blu premium probably doesn't help either (£15 for the DVD version, £25 for the Blu, after discounts).
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
Outside of releaseing the show on DVD at a decent click, Magna's really screwed the pooch on this one (and as someone who reviewed the preview disk, they made a mess of the Subtitles too)

The time between the US Simulcast and the UK service was attrocious (well into the last 20 some episodes) as was the quality of the stream (think the 240p option of youtube compressed into a 3/4 window).

No TV deal to speak off, which hardly surprising given that FMA 1 basicly headlined two channels which have gone the way of the dodo over here (Rapture and AnimeCentral)

And now this, which could very well be the death knell for Manga putting out anything that requires more than one release on Blu-Ray (Movies, stuff with 13 or less episodes like Eden of the East) because the consumer has every right to think "I'm not going to buy this, they're just going to get two sets in and leave me hanging" from that.
JonLa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm very disappointed by this - I won't be picking up the dvds instead. Maybe I'll try for the Australian releases but the exchange rate isn't as favourable as it used to be when I picked up the R4 Rurouni Kenshin.

It's probably a combination of factors - not just the lack of BD takeup, but the availability of the R1 bluray at a cheaper price months in advance, and the failure to stream the series at the same time - leading tech-savvy fans to the HD fansubs that were out there very quickly. And then why would you buy the series, six months later?

Slightly related:
I just tried to watch the Manga BD in English, but with the subs on - it was late, my wife was asleep, and it does get very loud in the action sequences, and I'm going deaf in one ear... No joy. Unlike Eden of the East, they've disabled this possibility. Why?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
JonLa wrote:
I just tried to watch the Manga BD in English, but with the subs on - it was late, my wife was asleep, and it does get very loud in the action sequences, and I'm going deaf in one ear... No joy. Unlike Eden of the East, they've disabled this possibility. Why?

It was the same with the FUNimation discs.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1785542&postcount=179
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pugwash2004

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Late posting as I've just found this out but tbh it's their own fault.

In the past they've released single discs all the way through a series and then released a single boxset at 1/4 of the price. They've done this on dvd and now they're doing it on bluray, more fool them.

I've been caught in the past like this with their release of Ghost in the Shell series 1 and got so sick of their slow release schedule I bought the discs 3-10 from Australia before disc 5 was even out in the UK. Only to find out they've got a special edition boxset a few weeks after they released their version of final disc.

So on series 2 I didn't buy it until the boxset was out and saved a bundle.

Same goes for Bleach, why buy the single discs knowing that they'll be a in a boxset! Especially as you can watch it for free on Crunchyroll.

No doubt many of the people who would have bought the series as a boxset will be buying the US / Australian versions when they're released. Just as I'm going to buy the complete boxset US version of Soul Eater bluray in April.

I'll support UK bluray distributors if they support us and instead of fleecing the fans they release a single boxset instead of single discs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3