• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Anime, F*** Yeah!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:25 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
biliano wrote:
First of all, Bamboo, I just want to say that I enjoyed reading the article you did in Anime Insider #17 about the Please, Twins! girls. That article got me interested in renting the series and possibly the prequal, Please, Teacher!

I contest your use of the word "prequel". A prequel is a work that is created later than another work, but it's story precedes the earlier work.

Sorry, but still it was a good article. Go check it out Very Happy
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:22 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
In any case, it's unfortunate that there were so few good releases this week. I could have sworn that I saw two volumes of Mezzo at Best Buy this weekend though.

There *was* some good stuff released this week. Problem is, screeners were never received for them, so reviews couldn't be written for them.

It's not like the amount of screeners has drastically gone down. Before, whatever holes there were in the release schedule, I would just go out and buy on my own. But it's getting increasingly hard to do that because of all the releases that are coming out each week, and my meager college budget. So now SL is virtually down to a screener-only system, with the exception of a few titles here and there. Hopefully though, the amount of titles that I can review will eventually go up again.

Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

How does the Lady Death Animation fit into the genre of Anime?

Is it just because it's released by ADV Films, a semi-decent company that releases passable to semi-passable Japanese Anime, B-rated TV Shows and Movies, and a poorly mis-managed Magazine, or is it because it was animated by a buncha Koreans?

I contest that Lady Death is actually anime. I don't think it is. However, it's on Shelf Life the same reason that stuff like BASToF Syndrome and [insert random Korean title here] is on Shelf Life because it was released by a company that releases anime (or in this case, made by), and made by Koreans, who closely tie into the Japanese anime industry. It's the same reason why manwha is reviewed on RTO.

By the way, thanks for all the comments guys! I appreciate it. Anime smile
biliano*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:41 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
I could have sworn that I saw two volumes of Mezzo at Best Buy this weekend though.

The other volume that you saw might have been Mezzo Forte, the OVA series distributed by Media Blasters of which the TV series is based on. The OVA was released on November 13, 2001 in two versions: a "clean" version and a director's cut with the sexually explicit content that was left out of the edited copy. You probably saw the edited version at Best Buy.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I loved your Mezzo review, Bamboo! It was right on the money. Somehow I'm able to overcome the absurdity of it all and have a great time watching it. ^^; I would definitely encourage anyone to give this one a rent. It's not the greatest title in the world, but it's a lot of fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Ever since Sin: The Movie, I always thought ADV producing original material was a bad idea. When will they ever learn?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:18 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
one3rd wrote:
I could have sworn that I saw two volumes of Mezzo at Best Buy this weekend though.

The other volume that you saw might have been Mezzo Forte, the OVA series distributed by Media Blasters of which the TV series is based on. The OVA was released on November 13, 2001 in two versions: a "clean" version and a director's cut with the sexually explicit content that was left out of the edited copy. You probably saw the edited version at Best Buy.

Nope, it wasn't Mezzo Forte. I may not have actually seen two volumes though. Doesn't really matter anyway as I'll probably never watch either of them.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:37 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Ever since Sin: The Movie, I always thought ADV producing original material was a bad idea. When will they ever learn?

First Sin, then Newtype, now Lady Death. No breaks.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:06 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Atleast Newtype is working out for them. Razz That and Super Milk-Chan US Verison, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:16 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Atleast Newtype is working out for them. Razz

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Rion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Shocked So Lady death sucked huh........

Oh well it didn't seem good anyway.......
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
garry
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say that the best part of Ippo is also its biggest weakness. The creator knows his boxing, and figures "hell with you" if you don't know/don't care about the difference between a counter right cross and a lead right rising hook.

But if you know and love the sport, god-DAMN what a show. It's a pity that makes it such a niche product, though.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:38 pm Reply with quote
garry wrote:
Gotta say that the best part of Ippo is also its biggest weakness. The creator knows his boxing, and figures "hell with you" if you don't know/don't care about the difference between a counter right cross and a lead right rising hook.

But if you know and love the sport, god-DAMN what a show. It's a pity that makes it such a niche product, though.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. Still, there's plenty of substance behind the fighting that makes the show fun for people who don't know anything about boxing, like just watching Ippo's growth as a person and a boxer. It's just those DVDs that focus solely on matches that can really appeal to boxing fans, I guess.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Indeed... I know people that I've introduced to Ippo that had no interest in boxing at all. Even I wasn't a huge boxing fan when I started watching it a couple of years ago. But it grew on me quickly. The show is pretty damn good at getting you hooked, and at the same time, creating a whole new generation of boxing fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:28 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
garry wrote:

Yeah, I can see what you mean. Still, there's plenty of substance behind the fighting that makes the show fun for people who don't know anything about boxing, like just watching Ippo's growth as a person and a boxer. It's just those DVDs that focus solely on matches that can really appeal to boxing fans, I guess.

Well I'm not a boxing fan, but an action fan and I thought the action in ippo is quite good. The action is very intense. You don't have to be a boxing fan to appreciate ippo, because like most sport anime/manga, you learn as the story progress. Pretty soon you'll understand what turtle is and other boxing technique.

Also the fighting part of the anime is the best part. That's when the excitement and intensity builds.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:35 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

Nope, it wasn't Mezzo Forte. I may not have actually seen two volumes though. Doesn't really matter anyway as I'll probably never watch either of them.

Well, in either case, Mezzo Vol 2 isn't out until Dec 14.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2