• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Funico in the Island of Magic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N.R.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
Seabiscuit wrote: "Ninth, get the Light Novel and any manga rights to successful Japanese series, such as Twelve Kingdoms..."

Was Twelve Kingdoms a successful Japanese light novel series? Yes! Was the anime a big hit in the U.S.? Yes!
Was the light novel itself successful in the U.S. when it got translated? Hell no!

Tokyopop pulled the plug on that because it wasn't selling, not because Stu or his pals didn't like it. The Twelve Kingdoms could have probably gained popularity in the west if a proper science fiction/fantasy book publisher would have translated it. It just didn't work for Tokyopop and they will never try it again. It's the sad truth.
Spark That Bled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
macloud wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Here is what funico can do for me: Get the shows on the dang site. That's it. Any technical improvements can come after that, but I'm here for the shows.

And so would i as well......IF EVERY SINGLE SERIES WASN'T GEOLOCKED TO THE US AND CANNADA ONLY!!!
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

....and breath.

Quoted for truth!

Hey Funimation! You want your product out there? Make it available outside of North America and Canada! There's English-speaking anime fans out here too!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Spark That Bled wrote:
macloud wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Here is what funico can do for me: Get the shows on the dang site. That's it. Any technical improvements can come after that, but I'm here for the shows.

And so would i as well......IF EVERY SINGLE SERIES WASN'T GEOLOCKED TO THE US AND CANNADA ONLY!!!
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

....and breath.

Quoted for truth!

Hey Funimation! You want your product out there? Make it available outside of North America and Canada! There's English-speaking anime fans out here too!
Allegedly NicoNico wants to do just that. Lets hope FUNi doesn't try to talk them out of it. Wink
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm sure Funimation isn't sitting around plotting up ways to screw over the UK market. There's probably quite a few legal hoops to jump through to try and get a licensing agreement for other markets, and it's likely not very cost effective. Doesn't the UK have any licensors of their own? Blame them for not getting anything going in the UK.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure Funimation isn't sitting around plotting up ways to screw over the UK market. There's probably quite a few legal hoops to jump through to try and get a licensing agreement for other markets, and it's likely not very cost effective.
Seems to be mostly financial hurdles ~ convincing the original licensors to include additional countries under their control may require an incremental Minimum Guaranteed rights payment for views from that country. If the highest MG Funico can afford is more than the smallest MG the licensor will accept, there's a bargaining range ~ if not, there isn't.

However, since the fixed costs are mostly contracting costs, subtitling, and mastering, as long as the extra countries can be included in the same contract, and as long as its possible to monetize the views (mostly through subscriptions) its extra markets at little additional overhead cost.

Quote:
Doesn't the UK have any licensors of their own? Blame them for not getting anything going in the UK.
Anime-On-Demand is already going in the UK. According to the ANN Encyclopedia, the three series they've announced are one on TAN in the US, one on Crunchy in the US, and one on NicoNico in the US. I guess there are supposed to be two more, but there seems to be some hold-up.
macloud

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Sailor S wrote:

Quote:
Doesn't the UK have any licensors of their own? Blame them for not getting anything going in the UK.
Anime-On-Demand is already going in the UK. According to the ANN Encyclopedia, the three series they've announced are one on TAN in the US, one on Crunchy in the US, and one on NicoNico in the US. I guess there are supposed to be two more, but there seems to be some hold-up.

Except that for the remainder of the titles we have to rely on ANN's streaming section [in effect we're the Uk arm] - although even that's not dependable - just recently AoD have announced that due to " an issue in France" there'll be a week delay with the releases of persona 4 episodes.

So AoD aside what does that leave us?......well, its basically either Crunchyroll and what titles on funimations you-tube pages that haven't been geolocked.

And as for blaming the UK companies - if they could afford to simucast episodes from japan themselves do you really think they'd need to buy the US masters for our anime releases?
Please note that the anime industry isn't as big in the UK as the US's is, and as such our companies rely on titles from the US for their releases by the simple fact that most of the difficult work [editing, dubbing, packing etc] has already been done - all we need to do is transfer it from NTSC to PAL, send it for rating by the BBFC [British board of film classification] and then release it.

...wow, that came out less ranty than i feared it would - go me Very Happy
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
All I know is that when I tried to watch Guilty Crown episode 2 on Funimation's website it claimed it wasn't available in my area despite living in America, and then trying to watch it on NicoNico is a complete pain.

Do I hope that this is a step in the right direction? Yes, but NicoNico must improve quickly or they will just mess up Funimation's streaming service.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
EVERY SINGLE SERIES that airs in Japan every season
... No, they were simply left behind, and possibly not due to licensing issues, though you can't quite count that out, but simply due to them being seemingly-ignored for the season.
Crunchyroll is on the record saying they put in a bid for ever anime series broadcast in a season, so if they didn't get a simulcast, it was indeed due to licensing issues.

Is it necessarily a "licensing issue" or could it simply be that CR's bid wasn't high-enough for the people in Japan to say "OK"? Admittedly, I'm not saying that CR has to break the bank on getting everything that's out there, but if they can get outbid by other companies like FUNi and NicoNico then there's also a good chance that some of their other bids aren't high-enough, even if they're the only ones bidding for it. And with Funico around now, CR might have to be willing to spend that extra money soon for some shows.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
there's also a good chance that some of their other bids aren't high-enough, even if they're the only ones bidding for it.
You're saying that the Japanese wouldn't take a virtually risk-free opportunity to make money simply because their product (the show) didn't receive enough interest/money upfront from the streaming companies? If someone offered me money, even if it were just a pittance, for the rights to stream my shows with no effort or expense on my part, I'd sign on the line as that's free money.

I don't much doubt that this could be true; it doesn't make sense to me, and that adds to its credibility as next to nothing the Japanese do makes sense to me. Laughing Rolling Eyes
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
Personally, I would love for an ANNCast to devote an episode to Funico. Someone from Funimation and Niconico to explain the partnership in more detail.

There still seems to be some confusion.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
there's also a good chance that some of their other bids aren't high-enough, even if they're the only ones bidding for it.

You're saying that the Japanese wouldn't take a virtually risk-free opportunity to make money simply because their product (the show) didn't receive enough interest/money upfront from the streaming companies? If someone offered me money, even if it were just a pittance, for the rights to stream my shows with no effort or expense on my part, I'd sign on the line as that's free money.

Some industries are actually like that. It's to protect the value of their other products, so that the next time they put a product out, buyers don't underbid it.

Like some famous expensive painters: they'd rather not sell their painting than sell it too low, because then, the value of their other paintings would drop. If they usually sell their paintings at least $2M to rich folks but then sold one for $1M, the next rich folk buying their next painting would wonder since the previous one only paid $1M, that must be the value of their paintings so why should they pay more than $1M too.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:40 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:

Some industries are actually like that. It's to protect the value of their other products, so that the next time they put a product out, buyers don't underbid it. Like some famous expensive painters: they'd rather not sell their painting than sell it too low, because then, the value of their other paintings would drop.

Yea, but the problem is we're talking about Anime here, it's a digital medium sitting on a digital space that's already worth only the electrons it's made up of. Fans already attribute the value they think it's worth, and it's up to business to realize they totally lose out in this game of chicken.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:53 am Reply with quote
Wow. My answer was published. Internet fame achieved xD

Some interesting questions this week though. I just hope funico doesn't mean niconico gives up on the non-US market. It was quite nice having a couple of shows last season over here from them.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Is it necessarily a "licensing issue" or could it simply be that CR's bid wasn't high-enough for the people in Japan to say "OK"?
Sure, that's going to be a common licensing issue ~ that the licensor decided not to license at all because they had a threshold MG to license to that particular market, and the bid did not cross the threshold.

For instance, if company policy is to convene a committee to consider that, and the time of the people on the committee is worth more than the revenue from the region, the licensor wouldn't bother.

Or, for instance, if Animax Asia let it be known they didn't want no web streaming service's sloppy seconds, the chance of Crunchyroll or niconico getting a license an any series considered as a potential Animax Asia pick-up would be nil or negligible.

Of course, if the licensing is divided into different global regions, so multiple contracts are required to cross licensing boundaries, there the licensing issue intersects with a cost issue.

We know that when Crunchyroll has been getting the original streaming rights, they normally get some international rights, but rarely global ex-Japan. And when Crunchyroll sublicenses, they normally have North America alone. So we know that its rarely licensing issues on the licensor's side that restrict streaming licenses to just North America, as much as licensing issues on the licensee's side ~ licensees pursuing distribution rights with streaming rights on the side do not generally pursue streaming rights outside their distribution rights area.

macloud wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Sailor S wrote:

Quote:

Except that for the remainder of the titles we have to rely on ANN's streaming section [in effect we're the Uk arm] - although even that's not dependable - just recently AoD have announced that due to " an issue in France" there'll be a week delay with the releases of persona 4 episodes.

As far as I had understood, AoD relies on ANN for the streaming of all of their series ~ who holds the US license is a separate issue. Since ANN's direct streaming to the US is shutting down, that would mean that AoD is not the "arm" of ANN's streaming any more, its the main body.

Since AFAIU the Siren streams in Oz are a subset of the AoD streams, you could say that ANN's streaming for Siren is the "Australian arm of ANN's streaming for AoD.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
The more I think about this the more I've come to the conclusion that; yes more titles will be available, but how many of those will end up in a product I want to buy, like a DVD with an English dub? Basically this whole exercise is just a counter move to try and get one over the fansubbers and bit torrent providers, which is all well and good, and I hope that works for them, but I fear the people like me what have always supported the industry by buying the hard packaged and dubbed product are going to be left wanting, as all efforts are put to this marketing ploy leaving very little for the older fans still using discs, like myself. Another concern for me is sub only anime. At my age I just can not read and watch at the same time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5