• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funky Winkerbean Looks at Adult Manga Censorship

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I've done my own research on the Castillo case before and I found this lengthy opinion on the case from a trial lawyer to be a bit more balanced than what I've seen reported elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranmah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:59 am Reply with quote
The website for the Funky strip doesn't work. I think we overloaded their server.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:43 am Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
The website for the Funky strip doesn't work. I think we overloaded their server.

Do you have Norton? ZoneAlarm? AOL's POS Firewall?

Then thats the reason why the image doesn't work.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:52 am Reply with quote
It works now. I wonder how the seatle newspaper will see all these hits for the funky strip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I've been following this in the paper (I read the Kansas City Star everyday); and I, for one, am eager to see how it turns out. And no, Funky Winkerbean has never been very politically charged. I think it's cool that the strip can show how such a situation effects people's everyday lives, rather than just tossing out Doonesbury-esqe political banter.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Funky Winkerbean originated in the Cleveland, Ohio area. Being from that part of the world, I read Funky as far back as I can remember (and I'm 38). But I haven't read it in ages.

Thing is, folks who haven't read the series for more than ten years may not know -- it began as a gag strip! Quite a funny one, too. Then at some point, Batiuk got bored, moved the characters a decade or so into the future and recreated the series as a serial drama.

Everyone "ooh"d and "aah"d and fawned over what a great thing he'd done, but I quickly lost interest. It just didn't make any sense to me. I grew up with these characters making me laugh -- I couldn't take them seriously.

For a manga parallel, imagine if Azuma created a sequel to Azumanga Daioh which took place with the characters all in their 20's and was a drama. Kaorin is dealing with an unwanted pregnancy. Yomi has come out as a lesbian and is dealing with discrimination. Nyamo is diagnosed with breast cancer. Could you enjoy such a series?

(Actually, considering the angst-filled fanfics which even the most upbeat anime inevitably produce, I'm sure some fans would eat it up. But not me.)

------RM
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
Berke Breathed seemd to do much the same thing with Bloom County / Opus. It was simply drawn with a strong (but not exclusive) focus on humour, but evolved by the final incarnation of the Sunday strip into an excuse for experimental art.

To keep this barely on topic, at one stage Opus snorts comics and ends up in a hallucinogenic daze - "Milo - the walls are crawling with giant Funky Winkerbeans!" Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2