• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Ranma 1/2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Optitron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Maigraith wrote:
Not sure how far y'all have read, and this might be slightly SPOILERISH but there is a character that fell into multiple pools at jusenkyo and instead of just turning into whatever the last pool was, he turned into a combination of all of them.

I've read almost the entire series (only skipped a few randm volumes towards the end), if you're talking about spoiler[Pantyhose Taro], that character only fell into one pool where four animals drowned at the same time. He didn't fall into four different pools where one animal each had drowned to make the weird combo. I don't think there's a character who has fallen into more than one pool, at least I never read one.

Actually, Pantyhose Taro did fall (or rather jump) into more than just the monkey riding an ox and carrying a crane and a snake spring (I tried to guess that one from memory. Did I get it right?). My Ranma 1/2 books are currently rather buried, so I can't say exactly which volume this occurs in, but at a later point he goes back to Jusenkyo and takes a dip in the spring of drowned octopus (I feel like I should mention that an octopus can't drown, but if you read this far into the series I think you've long since abandoned any attempts at rationalizing the events that occur). And yes, in addition to changing into a minotaur-like creature with wings and a snake tail, going into the spring of drowned octopus causes him to also sprout several octopus legs that spray ink from their tips (again, not how an octopus functions, but whatever). So apparently using another spring does result in a fusion of the two transformations.
Also, in regards to the question of whether the Jusenkyo curses change their victims into a duplicate of the original drowned entity or simply the animal / opposite-gendered version of him/herself, there's the case of spoiler[the Spring of Drowned Akane. During the Saffron Arc, one of the Jusendo bird-people captures Akane and drops her into a fresh Jusenkyo spring. Though Akane doesn't drown (as you would expect for the initial victim of a new Jusenkyo spring) her exposure to the waters allows the bird-person to transform into a perfect likeness of Akane.] So based on this, those who receive Jusenkyo curses change into perfect likenesses of the original victim.
Oh, and by the way, the bird-people of Jusendo already have Jusenkyo curses, which means the bird-person spoiler[who gained the ability to change into Akane] was in fact able to completely alter the nature of her curse, which completely contradicts the case with Pantyhose Taro. So... yeah, I'm just gonna throw my hat in with whoever said that Rumiko Takahashi didn't have any rules for the curses set in stone. The lack of concrete rules governing how the curses work doesn't surprise me. The curses existed as a hook to draw readers into the series. At the heart of this manga is a story about a group of friends / friendly rivals and the adventures they have together. That's probably why it never bothered me that the series lacked a conclusive ending: I've always thought of this series as a story about a journey and the bonds of friendship forged along the way.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:44 am Reply with quote
Optitron wrote:

Actually, Pantyhose Taro did fall (or rather jump) into more than just the monkey riding an ox and carrying a crane and a snake spring (I tried to guess that one from memory. Did I get it right?).

It's the spring of drowned Yeti riding an ox and carrying a crane in one hand and a snake in the other. You are correct that Pantyhose Taro has two sets of curses overlapping each other.

Also the Phoenix people where effected by the Jusenkyo water but was not actually cursed, they just gained bird attributes because they drank out of the Spring of Drowned bird. Its like how the Musk Dynasty gained animal abilities because their descendants married animals that where thrown into the Spring of Drowned Girl. I should also point out that Herb was also effected by the Spring of Drowned Girl and just gained a female form so there is no set form outside of the one spring. Keep in mind that in the original manga female Ranma had black hair.

Compare Herb's female form to Ranma's female form.
http://ranma.wikia.com/wiki/Herb
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
Wow, after readling this I am SO glad Spanish publisher Glenat has started a Ranma 1/2 kanzenban edition... Very Happy
Optitron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
It's the spring of drowned Yeti riding an ox and carrying a crane in one hand and a snake in the other. You are correct that Pantyhose Taro has two sets of curses overlapping each other.

Also the Phoenix people where effected by the Jusenkyo water but was not actually cursed, they just gained bird attributes because they drank out of the Spring of Drowned bird. Its like how the Musk Dynasty gained animal abilities because their descendants married animals that where thrown into the Spring of Drowned Girl. I should also point out that Herb was also effected by the Spring of Drowned Girl and just gained a female form so there is no set form outside of the one spring. Keep in mind that in the original manga female Ranma had black hair.

Compare Herb's female form to Ranma's female form.
http://ranma.wikia.com/wiki/Herb

Damn. I looked it up after I finished my initial response. Not only did I screw up the Yeti part, but it's also an eel, not a snake. Still, it has been several years since I last read the series. Sorry about misrepresenting the info about the Phoenix people. Like I said it's been a few years and I was going from memory.

I remembered Herb, but it didn't even occur to me that his female form served as further proof that there were no set rules for the curses. I guess it's best to say that the curses are like the dragon balls in that they exist as plot devices whose powers and abilities can be changed based on the needs of the story (I think some of the extraneous Clow Cards from the Card Captor Sakura anime were also used in this way).

Also, I remember reading a fan fiction once that made a good case for why female Ranma's hair was red even if the spring should have simply turned him into a female version of himself. The fanfic writer pointed out that Nodoka's (Ranma's Mother's) hair is red and that Ranma's female form might therefore take after his mother physically.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Also in the "whatever the mangaka feels like so don't think about it" vein, if you look at Shampoo's use of the "(only works once) make any water into a spring of drowned man" packet thing, after using that water Ranma (and Genma) stay in their normal male forms. Takahashi ALSO has random animals and such splashed with cursed waters to "prove they work" and their look is always random USUALLY with aspects of the original animal still intact (and one of the movies does the same altho that's debatable canonicity).

And all this doesn't even count the @$$-pull at the end spoiler[how DRINKING the water means it has no magical effect whatsoever].
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
And the fact that Shampoo is a Siamese cat and not a generic cat, is evidence of this too being that Siamese is a very temperamental breed, where an owner is likely to not get along with it, and you could see where that might lead. A stretch in thinking maybe, but hey.

See, it makes me think that Shampoo is also very temperamental, so that's her perfect cat form. Wink But I don't think there's a correct answer. Also, Ranma-chan's hair is drawn red by Takahashi on many occasions in the manga color illustrations as well.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Hm. I seem to be one of the few here who didn't learn about manga from this series.

Love Hina was my first. My brother actually had both, but he had only about 10 Ranma volumes and all of Love Hina except volume 4 (when I skipped to 5, I was a little confused on where Sara had come from ^^Wink, so I picked the series I could finish.

I read a few of his Ranma volumes, but it never hooked me like Love Hina did.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
To this day I have a special place in my heart for Ranma 1/2. One time I went to a comic book store and saw they had a huge collection of Ranma 1/2 comics. A big regret of mine is I didn't part with the money to buy them, seeing as the store owner wanted something like 50 cents per comic.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Ranma was one of the very first animes I've ever seen, when I was a kid. Back then, it was one of my favorites, as well. The comedy was great, and the overuse of the same gags from episode to episode really helped me to identify the characters and have fun. I was always waiting for Genma to transform, or the old man to steal a panty.

Shampoo was my fav girl, btw Razz

A shame I never had the chance to watch the final episode, sounds like a sweet ending that I'd have loved in the day.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:49 am Reply with quote
I didn't really get going with Ranma 1/2 until I was fairly established as an anime fan, in part because I had a hard time parting with the $100 for the box sets, even though that was a pretty good deal especially at the time. I did eventually get to where I was collecting them as they came out though. But, as for the manga, I didn't start reading manga until a good 4 years after I started being an anime fan, and by that point, 2004 or so, unflipped manga was pretty much the norm so I couldn't bring myself to buy flipped manga. That might not bother me as much now, but I still don't have a burning desire to start collecting all 38 volumes. Maybe if Viz released a 3 in 1 version, I'd consider it.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
A while back when I was in Japan, I visited the second-hand bookstore BookOff and bought every single volume of Ranma 1/2 they had on their shelves (35 of the 38 volumes). They were SUPER cheap, about 100-300 yen a pop, an amazing deal, though the girl at the front desk was taken aback by the tower of books I carried to the counter. I only had to figure out how to ship'em back home, which was an interesting introduction to the Japanese postal system. Very Happy

I've read and re-read all the books multiple times. I also breezed through some of the English version, which holds up very well comparatively to the Japanese (Viz did a great job IMO, especially the lettering). I've been a big fan of Takahashi since, and now have all of Maison Ikkoku, Rumic World Trilogy, and Rumic Theater. Ranma 1/2 really is a classic in it's own right, it perfectly captured the campy, wildly imaginative, optimistic, light-hearted and trendy spirit of the late 80's and early 90's in an original and innovative way. It's wacky, mindless, easy to get into rom-com martial arts fun, that anyone can revisit and enjoy for generations to come.

Now I just need to get Urusei Yatsura... Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Back before we even heard of it, before the manga and Viz videos, a friend brought this Japanese game for the SNES. We had this Hong Kong device that plugged on top of the SNES that allowed us to copy and play SNES games using the 3.5" floppy disk - and that's how we were able to play J-games. We couldn't read the J-writings, but we later learned it was Hard Battle, and that's our first encounter with Ranma 1/2. I recall that crazy chart resembling an American football play describing the love relationships. Laughing

By then, its Viz manga and videos dominated the "Japanimation" shelves, years before DBZ took over the shops, but it was at least $30 per 2 episodes. And that little fiasco when Viz's artbox originally described it something like "sexual romantic comedy" before changing it to "romantic comedy of the sexes." Hahahaha.......... ah, back when Japanese TV allowed anime nudity on primetime!

Fortunately, we knew the owner of a comic shop that had a lot of anime videos and allowed us to rent up to 20 or so videos at a time, for just around $2 a pop (Blockbuster was charging at least $5), and just return 'em whenever we can (usually around a week) with no late fees. That's how ya get thru a lot of eps real quick. Laughing

Still have those larger-sized Viz first edition manga. But maybe what I won't miss were those endless debates and flame wars of Ranma vs Ryouga vs Pantyhose vs Herb vs Happy vs Cologne etc. and Akane vs Shampoo vs Ukyou etc. And those fanfictions!
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
@enurtsol - Man, I still have some of those old larger Viz first edition manga with the blocky thin squarish text logo... I even have some of the floppy comics, too! Very Happy

There was a local comic shop I used to visit back in the day that had TONS of anime on VHS for rent, and Ranma was among the first I saw after blazing through Evangelion. Unfortunately, it was hard to figure out what order to rent the videos due to the ambiguous covers, so I only saw a few, but they were great. I finally saw Big Trouble in Nekonron China, and was pretty much hooked. Razz

Though, my very first exposure to Ranma was reading episode summaries on the interwebs back in the days of dialup. Back then I could only dream of ever seeing the series stateside... Laughing Someday I'll finally collect the whole anime series, I really hope Viz will re-release it all in an easy to collect all-in-one format (with the OVA's and movies, too).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
The first Ranma VHS dubbed and the first Oh My Goddess! VHS subbed were my gateway to anime and manga. I went on to collect all of the DVDs of both and all the comic floppies as long as they came out along with the trades.

Something I have still on VHS that I never saw on DVD is the Ranma 1/2 Juke Box. A compilation of all of the openings and endings (textless).
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I admit I haven't seen "Ranma 1/2" so I can't comment on it. But I used to see it around a lot. I used to see it at my local Blockbuster Video. And a lot times,they had the funniest titles that parodied Hollywood movies. I don't think it's been released on DVD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4