• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NISA to Omit Recap Episode From Kimi no Todoke Vol. 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
No recap, no sale! Is not something I'd ever say. They don't call 'em recraps for nothing. Excel Saga is the only series that has ever done a "recap" episode worth doing.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote
Not big loss.
Series won't be truly complete, but I'd guess only 1 in 10 people would have even watched that ep. Everyone else would have skipped it.
Very cool of them to let us know and the reasoning.
Something the likes of FUNi wouldn't have bothered to announce...
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote
DragonKnight76 wrote:
Seems the only ones who don't mind it missing are the ones who have seen it.

I'm disappointed as a fan that I won't have the entire series and I won't be able to mark it as "complete" on MAL but as others mentioned it was very classy of NISA to offer an apology. I hope in the future NISA will include even the mere "recaps" for those of us who, if for no other reason, want to have it just so we can say we have it.

If I were in your position, my conscience would allow me to download a fansub of the recap episode if I really wanted to see it, even though I never usually download licensed stuff. It is nice of NIS to explain in advance that they won't have it though, although like you, the completionist in me is irked Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
It's quite simple; treat your customers with respect and be honest and upfront with them and they'll usually forgive you.

And there's nothing to even forgive in this instance. NISA did nothing wrong, everything was outside of their control and it was only a recap episode that was missed. No-one's going to shed a tear over that.

There was no reason hide what went on, and doing so would have made it look like there was something to hide. So yeah, smart move by NISA.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:31 am Reply with quote
At least this is better than the usual reasons for omissions like these, like

"We didn't know it existed"
"Not enough room on the discs"
"Japan's holding it back to prevent reverse importation"
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:56 am Reply with quote
kikin0083 wrote:
unlike Bandai with a certain episode from the original Mobile Suit Gundam

You do know Tomino had that episode cut so point the fingers at him not Bandai.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I wish the Wolf's Rain DVDs had skipped the four recap episodes in a row.

To be fair, from what I understand that was because they had to temporarily shut down production because of the SARS scare at the time (but presumably had to scramble to do a quick fix to cover the four TV time slots affected). That was one case in which I think they can be cut a little slack because of the circumstances, which were beyond their control.
halo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I wish the Wolf's Rain DVDs had skipped the four recap episodes in a row.

I am perfectly happy with the omission the recap episode. It added nothing and the bits that were original were badly drawn.

As I recall, Bandai-Ent. managed to arrange the episode count so the 4 recap episodes were on one disc so you could have skipped buying it if you didn't want them.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
Cool.

Less wear and tear on my skip button.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
"OMG U GUYZ DIS IZNT TEH COMPLEAT VERZION!!! >:O LETZ PIRAT INSTEAD BECUZ WE'RE TRU FANZ 4EVAR!-desu <3 <3 <3 ^^ "

"If it doesn't bother me, it shouldn't bother anyone!"

Ok guy.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what an honest and heartfelt apology. Keep up the good work NIS America!
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Sucks that its not there but it's hard to be mad with that explanation.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I am sorry but this does not fly with me. This kind of situation has the same problem as censorship; whose to say down the line a company will start deciding oh episode so and so is not needed because it really does not contribute anything to the story; or what if they did that with books or other media. Considering how much NIS charges, I know I buy games from them all the time, how but instead of some stupid pencil boards or artbook (I collect Video games, so I have a ton of artbooks, I have honestly never looked at a single one of them) they stick into there CE editions, you actually have all the episodes.

Sentai I company I actually like charges like 30 for 13 episodes, while NIS charges 50 even for a none CE from what I recall.

And its not like it will cost you any less, they are not going to discount the set because of the one episode, so I see no reason to give them a pass.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps a solution could be including it with season 2?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I am sorry but this does not fly with me. This kind of situation has the same problem as censorship; whose to say down the line a company will start deciding oh episode so and so is not needed because it really does not contribute anything to the story; or what if they did that with books or other media. Considering how much NIS charges, I know I buy games from them all the time, how but instead of some stupid pencil boards or artbook (I collect Video games, so I have a ton of artbooks, I have honestly never looked at a single one of them) they stick into there CE editions, you actually have all the episodes.

Sentai I company I actually like charges like 30 for 13 episodes, while NIS charges 50 even for a none CE from what I recall.

And its not like it will cost you any less, they are not going to discount the set because of the one episode, so I see no reason to give them a pass.

Re-read the article a bit more closely this time. NISA didn't just out of the blue say "Nah, Production I.G (or whomever is the licensor), thanks for the offer of that recap ep, but we don't want it". The recap ep was not offered in the original contract because it was not available in the Japanese DVD release. It was only after negotiations were concluded and production on the release were well underway that the Japanese decided that they'd release the recap ep on their BD release. You're already complaining about their prices, and you want them to incur a bunch of extra expenses to get this and think they wouldn't pass said expenses along to the customer?

Eh, if the enjoyment of the show is ruined for you because it's missing, then I guess you have found your justification not to buy it. I'll buy the set and I'll enjoy it just as much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3