• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 80s Part II: You've Got To Have Power

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
Megazone 23 Part 3. While I didn't think much of it, I'd say it was the one most likely to have inspired The Matrix.

Quote:
Double Zeta

If only Sunrise would flip off Bandai Visual Japan and stream it legally here....

Quote:
Don't expect anyone to like this one, but Dagger of Kamui

Hey, I dug the movie. I probably got into Rintaro more through it than anything else.

Quote:
Divisive nature of Rintaro

Then, when you cover 90s anime, you can get into Doomed Megalopolis and the X movie. Wink

As for Fist, I find it easier to marathon than GE999, anyway.

Quote:
Guyver started in the late 80s and continued on in the early 90s

Yeah, but it's based off an 80s manga, so...

Quote:
Golgo 13: The Professional

I liked it when I first saw it as a kid, but it was always as a guilty pleasure until recently. That skull intro Streamline removed enhanced its flaws.

Quote:
[Golgo] is a machine

I've been asked twice if he's a robot. Laughing

Quote:
video game for the SNES

It was also an arcade game.

Quote:
UK dub of Cobra

Yeah, gotta agree with Justin. That's the only way to watch it.

Quote:
What's kinda like Nausicaa?

Tegami Bachi.

[quote]
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
If Golgo 13 had been made Live Action, it would have starred Charles Bronson!

It has been made into live-action, the first one starring Ken Takakura and the second time with Sonny Chiba.

I personally really couldn't get into either Megazone 23. The first one really starts to drag at the end and the second one had some really weird looking jerky animation.

I've only seen the first 24 episodes of Layzner but I could imagine at the top of best tv anime of the 80s.

The Dagger of Kamui has a great start but the last 30 or so minutes really start dragging, When I first saw on theatre, I had no problems with it but repeated viewings have made issues with pacing more apparent.

Personally I could easily fill my top 5 from the 80s with Ghibli movies, because I'm certain they can hold my interest for repeated viewings from the beginning till the end, especially Laputa.
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
The live-action Golgo-13 starred Sonny Chiba.

I prefer the first Megazone 23 myself. I think it does a great job of capturing what it was like to be young in the '80s, at least until you get to the SF plot. I'm also rather fond of the art from Kakinouchi and Hirano. I like Part II, but it is colder and not as focused. It's a little too self-consciously cool. The "pop song plays while things blow up" sequence is terrific, although Eve's design wasn't quite as good as before.

Robot Carnival is a mixed bag. "Presence" is certainly the standout, and a better work from Umetsu than MZ23 Part II, for my money. However, it also features other shorts like the cliched "Deprive."

Making a top 10 of the '90s list would be hard. There is a lot to choose from. Just off the top of my head: Giant Robo, Macross Plus, Princess Mononoke, Evangelion, Utena, Perfect Blue, Patlabor 2 the Movie, Cowboy Bebop, Memories and Serial Experiments Lain.
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well, they're different films.
Yep, they definitely are, this is true.
Nemoide

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Great episode!

I just want to say that I'd like to hear what Daryl thinks of Blue Sonnet, because that's the kind of thing I would kind of expect on his list.

(Does anyone else remember Blue Sonnet? IMO it's the essence of awesome/insane 80s OVAs.)
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
This two parter is one of the greatest ANNCasts yet; when there is such a great volume of anime out there it's invaluable to get some directions. I've been watching anime for years and I'd never even heard of half the things Tim brought up, and everyone else has reminded me of several things I just haven't got around to. Thank you Zac, Justin, Daryl, and TIm for a job well done!

Daryl, I find it hard to believe that Golgo 13 is a 90 minute film. It feels twice that long! In small doses, I can stop to admire the attention to detail and the grit-caked nausea, but taken altogether the thing is just...tiresome. Perhaps this is why myself and my friends can get into the TV show much easier. I'm completely, jubilantly, celebratorily in agreement with you about DYRL though, and I'd like to thank you folks at AWO for turning me onto that film. I'm curious, are you signing-up for the Blu-ray this summer?
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't too bothered by the early filler in "Fist of the North Star," probably because the 1st arc was the shortest and it ultimately just feels episodic. I was more bothered when they had 5 recap episodes back-to-back at the end of the 3rd arc.

I didn't like "Akira," and I'm not really sure why. I know I didn't like the visuals too much (I thought it was over-animated and the characters looked ugly; the city-scapes where cool, though).

I remember digging the original "Bubblegum Crisis," but I only saw it once back in 7th or 8th grade, so...about 6 or 7 years ago now. I'd really like to revisit it.

I definitely agree with Justin on the opening to the "Dirty Pair" movie. The movie as a whole is decent too, but the opening credits are a must-see.

"Do You Remember Love?" is my personal favorite 80's anime, and easily one my favorite movies period. For me, it's pretty much the "perfect" space-opera (in quotes because nothing is truly perfect). The biggest problems are probably a major plot-hole in the middle (spoiler[when Hikaru and Misa get sent to earth while the same fold sent the Zentraedi to their mother ship]), and there is some sexism in the movie (mostly or entirely by way of Roy).

I was going to comment that I was surprised Justin didn't pick "Only Yesterday" as his favorite, but then looked it up and saw it was made in '91. Shows what I know. Rolling Eyes
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
...there is some sexism in the movie (mostly or entirely by way of Roy).

IIRC Zac descibes the film as sexist, and I certainly found myself at odds with that. I think the presence of sexism, as opposed to the film being sexist, is an important distinction you've made here. spoiler[There is no question that Roy is a sexist cad after a few drinks, but it's not as if he's molesting strangers. He's having fun at his partner's expense; as far as I can tell, this is just his eccentricity and not an attempt to injure or devalue Claudia.] However, I can see how being less acquainted with these characters via the TV series, this is perhaps less obvious. It may also be simply that this scene is just in and of itself uncomfortable, but regardless this is characterization of Roy, not some overarching message of sexism that the film is trying to communicate. Another scene that comes to mind is spoiler[Minmay being slapped by Hikaru when she just wants to run away together instead of fighting for the human race. This imagery might be uncomfortable, and is certainly rare if nonexistant today, but I don't see any indication she's slapped for being a woman. It's a dramatic gesture on Hikaru's part. ] That said, I'm prepared to be wrong, if anyone wants to speak up.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Another scene that comes to mind is spoiler[Minmay being slapped by Hikaru when she just wants to run away together instead of fighting for the human race. This imagery might be uncomfortable, and is certainly rare if nonexistant today, but I don't see any indication she's slapped for being a woman. It's a dramatic gesture on Hikaru's part. ] That said, I'm prepared to be wrong, if anyone wants to speak up.

I personally felt a bit uncomfortable at that scene but at the same time I don't really think it's that different from what Bright did to Amuro (or Amuro to Fraw in the first episode) in Gundam or Miyako to Hikari in Digimon Adventure 02.

About Gundam, I had first previously watched the trilogy at least three times and when I finally watched the series, I was surprised how similar they were in the end. I also thought it was less filler than Zeta Gundam.

I was happy that some of the stupid stuff like the G-Armor and combination scenes were edited out but some of the content was edited only because of running time and structure. I really liked some of the cut parts like the episode where the Zeon soldiers help the Earth Federation civilians.

Unlike what Zac said, the ending to both the tv series and movies is identical.
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Not going to knock opinion when there is a subjective case, most things are subjective.

But how anyone could pick Fist of the North Star, Golgo 13 or Riding Beam of all things over the masterful Gunbuster is beyond me!

While I personally think Gunbuster is better then anything on this list (my fav anime of all time in fact), I can accept someone seeing the other shows as superior.

But the 3 anime's I pointed out are objectively far inferior to Gunbuster. There is objective truth sometimes. My mind is boggled!!

I am also shocked Riding Beam made the list over Grave of the fireflies!

What next? Vampire wars and sword for truth making the 90's list over Cowboy Bebop?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
aeris2001x2 wrote:
Not going to knock opinion when there is a subjective case, most things are subjective.

But how anyone could pick Fist of the North Star, Golgo 13 or Riding Beam of all things over the masterful Gunbuster is beyond me!

While I personally think Gunbuster is better then anything on this list (my favorite anime of all time in fact), I can accept someone seeing the other shows as superior.

But the 3 anime's I pointed out are objectively far inferior to Gunbuster. There is objective truth sometimes. My mind is boggled!!

What next? Vampire wars and sword for truth making the 90's list over Cowboy Bebop?

As much as I love Gunbuster, there are glaring flaws in that anime that one could easily discern and point out, most notably relating to Smith Torren's existence, why Kochi picks Noriko, and her sudden attitude change. I know it's a parody of Aim for the Ace, and still continues the tenuous parody in the latter episodes, but not everyone picks up, fully appreciates, or even enjoys that aspect of the film. Just like they don't see the obvious parallels to Wakusei Robo Danguard Ace. You can only make a parody last so long, and Gunbuster's problem becomes the first two episodes being seen as extraneous and the last two are seen as the ones that people remember the most fondly. I enjoy all of Gunbuster, but I can understand the view that the OVA as a whole feels unbalanced. But can you defend, aside from opinion, why Gunbuster is that good? It is one of my favorite anime ever, but I know it's really not the type of show to force on people, like Zac experienced with Bubblegum Crisis. When it's played up so high, and it doesn't meet expectations, the payoff and ending are lost on them; people need to come to Gunbuster themselves.

As for putting things over Cowboy Bebop, more power to them. I'd rather rewatch Giant Robo and Ruin Explorers than Bebop.
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Another scene that comes to mind is spoiler[Minmay being slapped by Hikaru when she just wants to run away together instead of fighting for the human race. This imagery might be uncomfortable, and is certainly rare if nonexistant today, but I don't see any indication she's slapped for being a woman. It's a dramatic gesture on Hikaru's part. ] That said, I'm prepared to be wrong, if anyone wants to speak up.

Minmay didn't just say she wanted to run away with Hikaru; she said everyone else can die! That was why he slapped her. I think it's more of a cultural thing; I've seen characters slapped plenty of times in Japanese entertainment for being disrespectful. Heck, in Only Yesterday, the protagonist's dad slaps her across the face for walking outside without any shoes on.

I love DYRL, but it is sexist, mainly in the treatment of Misa. Hikaru doesn't think he should have to obey her orders because she is a woman. She's told she needs to change her attitude to get a man. Then, when she is stranded on Earth with Hikaru, she washes dishes and "prepares a meal" for him. She assumes the traditional role for a Japanese woman and they live happily ever after.

The Umetsu segment in Robot Carnival, "Presence," is also rather sexist. A guy's wife is an aggressive businesswoman, so he builds a more feminine companion (high pitched voice, frilly dress). And after many years, he and his ideal woman are reunited.

So, yes, there is a lot of sexism in '80s anime. Japan is still not exactly great in that department. Their entertainment is a reflection of their culture.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
aeris2001x2 wrote:

While I personally think Gunbuster is better then anything on this list (my favorite anime of all time in fact), I can accept someone seeing the other shows as superior.

Gunbuster's problem is that it's an OVA that tries to be several stories at once, it's an anime that has ADHD. It never does something long enough to actually hold meaning, you meet Smith Toren butspoiler[his gone before you can be attached to him, and Noriko's relationship with him is meaningless for the OVA itself. Same thing with the idea of Noriko being younger than all of her friends, you basically get a conversation between Noriko and her friend from the first episode and then she goes into space.]

The reason people like the last two episodes the most is because that's when they are most concerned with action which doesn't rely on getting attached to what's happening.

Cowboy Bebop is well done but I wouldn't consider it a masterpiece, Faye is only interesting when it deals with her past (otherwise she's basically useless as anything other than being hot), Vicious is a cool villain with no real depth, and I never cared about Jet.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
ZenAmako wrote:
The Umetsu segment in Robot Carnival, "Presence," is also rather sexist. A guy's wife is an aggressive businesswoman, so he builds a more feminine companion (high pitched voice, frilly dress). And after many years, he and his ideal woman are reunited.

I've always seen that character as weak-willed, wanting to escape, but too unafraid and scared about the consequences. So he waits until he's old and alone and there's no to really hold him back.

Charred Knight wrote:
Cowboy Bebop is well done but I wouldn't consider it a masterpiece, Faye is only interesting when it deals with her past (otherwise she's basically useless as anything other than being hot), Vicious is a cool villain with no real depth, and I never cared about Jet.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only character who hates Ed. I've never liked super powered and unstoppable hacker types, and when mixed with being an annoying person, it doubles. She's a shining problem I have with Cowboy Bebop, just like Kanuka Clancy being a know-it-all and insufferable bitch hurts parts of Patlabor. Her role could have been completely assumed by Shinobu or Asuma.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I finally had time to listen to the second half of this podcast today, and I just had a few thoughts.

Megazone 23: I think I can say that I belong to the camp of people who prefer the first OVA to the second one. For me, I think it's due to the fact that the first OVA is much closer to the feel and tone to the anime I grew up watching on TV in the 1980s (especially Robotech). And I agree that the third OVA is terrible.

Kiki's Delivery Service/My Neighbor Totoro: Good choices, Zac! I'm not a kid, but I enjoy these, too. Smile My 14-year-old daughter likes these movies, and she will request to watch them when she's sick and trying to rest. I think they're a form of comfort for her. Recently, she wasn't feeling well and was watching My Neighbor Totoro. Since this was on a weekend, my other children were home, and my 7-year-old daughter sat down and watched it with her; it was the first time my 7-year-old had watched it. For a couple of days afterwards, my 7-year-old was drawing pictures of Totoro, and was pretending that one of the trees in our backyard was "Totoro's Tree."

Space Adventure Cobra: I actually haven't had a chance to see Space Adventure Cobra yet, but I am familiar with the property through a music video from 1992: Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend." This video was getting heavy rotation on MTV, since that was still a time when MTV actually played music videos on a regular basis, and I loved it (both the song and the video). Sometimes, the VJs would mention that the animation was from a Japanese show called Space Adventure Cobra as a trivia fact when announcing the video. As a side note, Matthew Sweet's follow-up video, "I've Been Waiting," features footage from Urusei Yatsura. I was also amused to hear about the UK dub of the Space Adventure Cobra movie featuring music by Yello. I first had exposure to Yello through Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Twix commercials. Oh yeah!

Beast King GoLion: OK, this technically wasn't on any of the panelists' top ten lists, but it was mentioned in one of the listener top three lists that were read aloud during the podcast. Like many children of the 80s, I grew up watching Voltron in first-run syndication. I was 9 years old when the show first started airing in the US, but even then, I could tell it was Japanese in origin (my family had lived in Japan when my dad was stationed there when I was between the ages of one and five). While I don't have a lot of concrete memories of those years, we had various items like 7" LP vinyl covers, beach towels, chopsticks, etc. that had drawings of characters from Japan, so I'd grown up seeing the art style and I recognized it. Anyway, even at 9 years old, I could tell that Voltron had been edited quite a bit, and I had grown up wanting to see the original Japanese version of the series. When I found out that Media Blasters was going to be releasing both GoLion and Dairugger XV, you would have thought from my reaction that I had just won the lottery. Smile I own all the sets for both GoLion and Dairugger XV, and feel that the original Japanese versions of both series are superior to Voltron.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5