• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Expo Exposed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yeah, I really miss when gaming was more of a "nerdy" thing, like in the SNES and PS1 gens. Once Xbox came around, it started becoming a lot more mainstream and all the Americans want their violent shooters and realistic looking graphics, while before that it focused a lot more on actual fun, and not worrying about being "Cool". And now even Nintendo, the one place left that doesn't do these gritty games, is just focusing on casuals with bite size games I don't care about.

Same here.

I really miss the old days of PC gaming when there were lots of different and cool stuff coming out every month from all kinds of publishers. It was also the time where the majority of FPS's were on PC and having a computer back in the 90s (especially one that could play such games) was a big deal. Not everyone had a computer. So, it was really fun to play online (dial-up modem) with friends (sometimes local lan) or like-minded people from bbs's - from my experience, it was less bullshit back then and namecalling going on.

Of course with consoles back then, it was the place to play those games produced by the Japanese. It was a good mix back in the day between console and PC gaming.

I agree about the Xbox changing the landscape since it's pretty similar to developing games on the PC and that was the direction PC gaming was going - more realism and making really nice FPS because you could push the hardware more. So, it was much easier to port or develop a PC like game on the Xbox for some western developers.

Anywho...most of E3, yawn. Lots of stuff looks cool, but not for me these days. The most excited announcement for me was Atlus USA bringing over Code of Princess to the US.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Everything you stated

Indeed, I miss the PS1 and PS2 era, where they literally tried everything from every genre to appeal to as wide an audience as remotely possible. Those were really some of the best times of my life with video games, especially the summer of 2000. Now that was one summer I will never forget. Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate, SaGa Frontier II, the nostalgia just makes me want to cry.

Unfortunately, most (not all) of the industries can only concern themselves with earnings since they need capital to stay in business (which is understandable from an economic viewpoint). Faced with this reality, they have to stick to the formula of relying on the same spiel that put them on the map in the first place. I can't fault Nintendo's people too much; they know how to keep Mario well-seated on his throne with his big flashy Nintendo crown because they try just about anything with him while adding some extra notes that keep him appealing to the masses no matter the age level. As for the others, well you pretty much said it: "Violence is cool, and so are guns and bombs! Huh huh."

It's funny you mention Chrono Trigger. I've been doing a kind of "good ol' days of gaming" theme these past couple of months. I'm playing Breath of Fire II, Chrono Trigger, Monster World IV and Phantasy Star I. Sometimes keeping it simple was the best way to reel in a crowd. You didn't need a battle system loaded with meters and bars everywhere to get a person's attention in an RPG. Sometimes all you need are the HP and MP displays and a cute little anime portrait. I ask you Ryan, what happened to those days?

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Like a lot of people on the Internet, I was blown away by the Watch Dogs trailer. That's assuming the actual game plays like the footage shown.
And I will most definitely check out Lolipop Chainsaw. Even when Suda51 fails it's an interesting experience.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I can't agree with the nostalgia here. Sometimes, you want a littke violence in your life. And games back then weren't better or anything , it's just Nostalgia blinding you.

Also, games back then don't let you do this:

http://forzamotorsport.net/Handlers/GetPhoto.ashx?id=12791965&title=Miku%202&full=true&download=true

http://forzamotorsport.net/Handlers/GetPhoto.ashx?id=12791932&title=Miku%201&full=true&download=true

http://forzamotorsport.net/Handlers/GetPhoto.ashx?id=12806888&title=MM2&full=true&download=true
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Publisher 7sixty's long-delayed Phantom Breaker might ship this week, and the Xbox 360 fighter was covered in two previous columns. You're not fooling me again, Phantom Breaker.

Looks like Phantom Breaker was pushed back again...

http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Breaker-Special-Edition-Xbox-360/dp/B005GWU01G/ref=pd_ybh_3

Amazon has it at September 26th now. Thats a long delay... I wonder if they're fixing stuff in the game that early reviewers didn't like?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Everything you stated

Indeed, I miss the PS1 and PS2 era, where they literally tried everything from every genre to appeal to as wide an audience as remotely possible. Those were really some of the best times of my life with video games, especially the summer of 2000. Now that was one summer I will never forget. Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate, SaGa Frontier II, the nostalgia just makes me want to cry.

Unfortunately, most (not all) of the industries can only concern themselves with earnings since they need capital to stay in business (which is understandable from an economic viewpoint). Faced with this reality, they have to stick to the formula of relying on the same spiel that put them on the map in the first place. I can't fault Nintendo's people too much; they know how to keep Mario well-seated on his throne with his big flashy Nintendo crown because they try just about anything with him while adding some extra notes that keep him appealing to the masses no matter the age level As for the others, well you pretty much said it: "Violence is cool, and so are guns and bombs! Huh huh."

It's funny you mention Chrono Trigger. I've been doing a kind of "good ol' days of gaming" theme these past couple of months. I'm playing Breath of Fire II, Chrono Trigger, Monster World IV and Phantasy Star I. Sometimes keeping it simple was the best way to reel in a crowd. You didn't need a battle system loaded with meters and bars everywhere to get a person's attention in an RPG. Sometimes all you need are the HP and MP displays and a cute little anime portrait. I ask you Ryan, what happened to those days?

To bluntly put it we are getting older and the type of games that are coming out on the market now are appealing to younger crowd. We in general are not the target audience for gaming anymore the sooner you realize this the better off you are or learn to adapt with the current trend. I still like fps games and some over the top violence such as mad world, fallout 3/nv and god of war. my concern is releasing a game x every year, charging 50 more dollars besides the amount you paid for the game for dlc then rinse/repeat the same cycle next year or be left out in the cold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

To bluntly put it we are getting older and the type of games that are coming out on the market now are appealing to younger crowd. We in general are not the target audience for gaming anymore the sooner you realize this the better off you are or learn to adapt with the current trend.

Are we all over 40 here? Gaming, nowadays, most definitely hits the 18-34 age demographic. I agree that some of us are not the target audience, though.

As long as Japan continues to produce quirky, yet fun games, I'm good to go.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:

Anywho...most of E3, yawn. Lots of stuff looks cool, but not for me these days.

I wrote off E3 several years ago for anything other hardware news. It's become an increasingly same-y looking and increasingly gory mush of juvenile male power fantasy. I've also been somewhat disturbed at the increasing degree that the violence is being fetishized in some of these games.

belvadeer wrote:
As for the others, well you pretty much said it: "Violence is cool, and so are guns and bombs! Huh huh."

I think there's going to start being a significant backlash against this in the near future. Things are changing for the better, albeit slowly. Some of the video game press is beginning to talk about the violence issue and I suspect its going to become a bigger issue in the next few years. There is also increasingly loud and frequent criticism of other serious problems in gaming culture, namely sexism, racism, homophobia and the general severe lack of diversity in gaming. Five years ago, these things were addressed infrequently at best. Did you see the fallout from that Hitman trailer? That wouldn't have happened a few years ago.

Chagen46 wrote:
I can't agree with the nostalgia here. Sometimes, you want a littke violence in your life. And games back then weren't better or anything , it's just Nostalgia blinding you.

Where did people say that they were "better"? Or that there was anything inherently wrong with playing or enjoying a violent video game?

People are complaining about a lack of variety and creativity, that maybe its a problem that the vast majority of games seem to involve graphically murdering people. That maybe it would be nice to have some things that branched out a bit and that maybe its not a good thing that the medium is largely represented by graphic murder simulators.

Basically, people are saying about modern (mostly Western) video games more or less what people have been complaining about "moe ruining anime" for years.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:

To bluntly put it we are getting older and the type of games that are coming out on the market now are appealing to younger crowd. We in general are not the target audience for gaming anymore the sooner you realize this the better off you are or learn to adapt with the current trend.

Are we all over 40 here? Gaming, nowadays, most definitely hits the 18-34 age demographic. I agree that some of us are not the target audience, though.

As long as Japan continues to produce quirky, yet fun games, I'm good to go.

well no i am in the 25-32 range however I'll agree a bit on the quirky games no matter how niche they are.. after all katamari damacy made it here on a stroke of luck, as well as corpse party so eh. However must of us older gamers want physical copies, non motion controls or touch-screen gimmicks, and not matter how much our gen groans about it is heading that way so we either adapt or just stop playing games.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
We in general are not the target audience for gaming anymore the sooner you realize this the better off you are or learn to adapt with the current trend.

You don't need to preach to me. I was simply reminiscing. You are right however about the price tag + DLC thing. It is happening.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Quote:
Publisher 7sixty's long-delayed Phantom Breaker might ship this week, and the Xbox 360 fighter was covered in two previous columns. You're not fooling me again, Phantom Breaker.

Looks like Phantom Breaker was pushed back again...

Amazon has it at September 26th now. That's a long delay... I wonder if they're fixing stuff in the game that early reviewers didn't like?

Nah, that's an excuse, the game is far from complete, even showed on reviews and such as well, That would have been enough time to iron out all the bugs and everything, its just nonsense to hurry up and put it out on retail shelves, seriously...

Gamestop has it on August 8th, and Gamefly doesn't even have a release date either, so pretty much, its like Otomedius Excellent and its release date fiasco, well, at least they'll have their own beat-em-up coming soon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yeah, I really miss when gaming was more of a "nerdy" thing, like in the SNES and PS1 gens. Once Xbox came around, it started becoming a lot more mainstream and all the Americans want their violent shooters and realistic looking graphics, while before that it focused a lot more on actual fun, and not worrying about being "Cool". And now even Nintendo, the one place left that doesn't do these gritty games, is just focusing on casuals with bite size games I don't care about.

Same here.

I really miss the old days of PC gaming when there were lots of different and cool stuff coming out every month from all kinds of publishers. It was also the time where the majority of FPS's were on PC and having a computer back in the 90s (especially one that could play such games) was a big deal. Not everyone had a computer. So, it was really fun to play online (dial-up modem) with friends (sometimes local lan) or like-minded people from bbs's - from my experience, it was less bullshit back then and namecalling going on.

Of course with consoles back then, it was the place to play those games produced by the Japanese. It was a good mix back in the day between console and PC gaming.

I agree about the Xbox changing the landscape since it's pretty similar to developing games on the PC and that was the direction PC gaming was going - more realism and making really nice FPS because you could push the hardware more. So, it was much easier to port or develop a PC like game on the Xbox for some western developers.

Well, I've been playing games for awhile more than most people (heck, I remember when RPG = Lord British and the Mario Bros were actually plumbers!), and from experience, over time gaming tastes change - just like anime tastes change. Sometimes, the trend goes your way; sometimes it doesn't. But just like anime, it shows how a gamer you are when trends aren't your way - and by gamer, we mean playing many types of games, not like gamers who play 90% of the time just FPS or RPGs or VNs or sports.

Though you are correct about the Xbox moving the paradigm - before, all consoles were Japanese, so most games reflected Japanese tastes. When Xbox came along, it persuaded Western developers to develop more for consoles, so it opened up the console world to tastes from other countries in the world. Just like the end of Atari opened up the world to Japanese games, and the consolidation of PCs to Windows opened up PC gaming from other previous PC platforms. It's just giving opportunity to different tastes.

belvadeer wrote:

Now that was one summer I will never forget. Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate, SaGa Frontier II, the nostalgia just makes me want to cry.

Well, as people say with anime, be careful of nostalgia. Laughing

belvadeer wrote:

As for the others, well you pretty much said it: "Violence is cool, and so are guns and bombs! Huh huh."

"Violence" can be replaced with anything, and the saying would still be true. Fanservice, for instance. Besides, we also love our sex girls with weapons of bad intentions! Laughing

To bluntly put it we are getting older and the type of games that are coming out on the market now are appealing to younger crowd. We in general are not the target audience for gaming anymore the sooner you realize this the better off you are or learn to adapt with the current trend. I still like fps games and some over the top violence such as mad world, fallout 3/nv and god of war. my concern is releasing a game x every year, charging 50 more dollars besides the amount you paid for the game for dlc then rinse/repeat the same cycle next year or be left out in the cold

True. Though as some people say about anime, they just start having a problem when people start to act like we're more important than the gaming consumers who pay the bills, and they should make games for us even though we're not the ones funding the industry. Wink

HitokiriShadow wrote:

I wrote off E3 several years ago for anything other hardware news. It's become an increasingly same-y looking and increasingly gory mush of juvenile male power fantasy. I've also been somewhat disturbed at the increasing degree that the violence is being fetishized in some of these games.

Hey now, juvenile male nerd fantasy also fetishizes their own kinky stuff *cough*imouto*cough*............ Laughing

HitokiriShadow wrote:

belvadeer wrote:

I think there's going to start being a significant backlash against this in the near future. Things are changing for the better, albeit slowly. Some of the video game press is beginning to talk about the violence issue and I suspect its going to become a bigger issue in the next few years.

When they're not going after the violence issue, they're going after sex-isms in video games, and we don't want that now, do we? Laughing

HitokiriShadow wrote:

People are complaining about a lack of variety and creativity, that maybe its a problem that the vast majority of games seem to involve graphically murdering people. That maybe it would be nice to have some things that branched out a bit and that maybe its not a good thing that the medium is largely represented by graphic murder simulators.

Basically, people are saying about modern (mostly Western) video games more or less what people have been complaining about "moe ruining anime" for years.

True. Japanese gaming may be headed the same way. It's increasingly becoming harder for J-developers to market outside Japan, so they're becoming insular and developing the same types of games that sell only in Japan, leading to mainly limited budget VN sims and turn-based RPGs for handhelds.

Last edited by enurtsol on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
superdry wrote:

True. Japanese gaming may be headed the same way. It's increasingly becoming harder for J-developers to market outside Japan, so they're becoming insular and developing the same types of games that sell only in Japan, leading to mainly limited budget VN sims and turn-based RPGs for handhelds.

This is a good article I read a little while ago about how the Japanese gaming scene has been changing.

http://www.1up.com/features/japanese-games-breaking-west

A little thing called moe is making a big impact on recent Japanese game development.

"Small developers make their money by selling less at a higher profit margin, while major publishers sell more for less. If you publish small games in Japan you have to give your fans what you want, and since your fans are otaku who revel in moe, you'll give them games filled with the characters that elicit that response -- which are usually young, childlike girls. Between August and December of this year there are a total of 35 games set for release in Japan which follow this exact model. There are more games like this than there are FPSs in the west. By catering to their fan base, smaller publishers have alienated many western fans."
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Violence is cool, and so are guns and bombs! Huh huh."

Godd f*cking god, maybe it's because violence IS cool. This theead is becoming too nauseatingly hipster for me to handle. "BAWWW THU DONT MAKE GAMES I LIKE ANYMORE". Ugh.

Sometimes, I wanna shoot the living hell out of everything I see (and before you go on a tirade, I don't play FPSs--or, I won't until I get a gaming comp). Can I do that in peace without people like you goig " STOP HAVING FUN AND LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE". Sheesh.

I like RPGs/japanese games as much as the next guy but this whining is getting farcical. These violence-soaked games seel gangbusters, clearly the companies are doing SOMETHING right.[/code]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
superdry wrote:

This is a good article I read a little while ago about how the Japanese gaming scene has been changing.

http://www.1up.com/features/japanese-games-breaking-west

A little thing called moe is making a big impact on recent Japanese game development.

"Small developers make their money by selling less at a higher profit margin, while major publishers sell more for less. If you publish small games in Japan you have to give your fans what you want, and since your fans are otaku who revel in moe, you'll give them games filled with the characters that elicit that response -- which are usually young, childlike girls. Between August and December of this year there are a total of 35 games set for release in Japan which follow this exact model. There are more games like this than there are FPSs in the west. By catering to their fan base, smaller publishers have alienated many western fans."

Thanks for an interesting article, Ryan. That sums up a history of issues. And people in the West frown about the price of games + DLC when they can be gouged from the start for J-games they want that sell less for more price. Laughing

Personally, I want J-developers to market outside Japan and the J-gaming scene to be more socially inclusive - it makes for greater variety all around. Funnily, seems the article realized the same observation I did that many people miss, as per my talking about Western scene:
Quote:
Incidentally, "gaming" as a hobby is more mainstream-accepted in the West than in Japan. It wasn't that way a decade ago, when pretty much gaming is considered for geeks and students still in school. Now, everybody plays it --working people, family parents, jocks, girls, etc.-- with no longer the stigma of being weird but rather socially accepted. That's why games are selling so many now - there are more potential buyers. Gamers in the 80's and 90's have grown up, took over from the previous generation in powerful positions, and passed it on to their children. Laughing

Japanese culture has developed a reputation for being more accepting of traditionally geeky pursuits than the west. Because so many amazing games came from Japan in the past, many imagine Japan to be a place where being a "gamer" is accepted and considered "normal." In reality it's anything but. The west is far more accepting of adults playing games. While people will often play games on their cell phones, and though the DS made major in-roads into the casual market, particularly with women, admitting to playing games still carries a stronger social stigma in Japan than in Europe or North America. As such, many adults willingly give up games, keeping the market much younger overall than elsewhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4