• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Girls und Panzer's 2nd Promo Streamed with Schoolgirls & Tanks

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Great, so apparently anime has reached the point where it is necessary to explicitly state when an show won't have panty flashing.

Laughing

It may not have panty flashing, but it has some serious butt hugging shorts.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
The preview started with the classic march "the British Grenadiers".

I will watch this anime for sure now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll say it: that trailer was really boring for me. At two minutes through, I was annoyed to realize that I still had another minute to go. It might have been because I can't understand Japanese, but there just didn't seem to be anything interesting or exciting about this. It's a slightly weird (only in the context of anime is slightly the appropriate adverb) premise, which makes me a little curious, but... what else you got?

VORTIA wrote:

When I heard it, I immediately thought of this.

Kodai wrote:
Cyberphobe wrote:
Well that's a very unbalanced pairing of tanks. Compared to all the other tanks in that lineup the German Mk IV is far superior in maneuverability, firepower, and Armour. The team with the Panzer Mk IV is going to easily stand above the rest.

That's an early MkIV with the short barreled 50mm. It's only got 50mm of frontal armor too.

The StuG III on the other has the high velocity 75 mm. If it hits, it'll kill any of the tanks there. Aiming is the only problem. It's also got 80mm of frontal armor. That should be good against a direct hit from any of the other tanks, except maybe the Lee's 75mm.

I don't know the tanks to this degree, but it immediately occured to me that these teams might not be 'balanced'. (I wonder if those First World War tanks are meant to actually be used in competition) I'll assume that the creators have some tank otaku advising them and there'll be some 'heart of the armor' or 'try your best' gimmick that lets some team or another triumph over adversity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

VORTIA wrote:

When I heard it, I immediately thought of this.

But what it is is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0h_0LAZ22s
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Arekusei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:15 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Arekusei wrote:

Well Soro no Woto feeling means that its gonna to be boring. What YuruYuri certainly isnt.

Sora no Woto was most certainly not "boring"

Well it certainly wasn't a masterpiece. And it had a lot more of boring episodes compared to interesting one.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm excited about this. I know some guys who love see WWII tanks in hot colors just for the amusement factor.

I don't understand why there tank academy using antiques like these. Paint ball rounds, building team work and character building? Those tanks have tin-foil for armor and have to be stationary to even fire those guns.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Chriiiiiiist, that was the most boring promo ever.

50 billion characters were introduced, all of them looking the same besides hairstyle (nevermind that they were in the most generic style possible), and no action. Come on, for a show about cute tirls blowing each other to pieces with giant war machines you'd THINK that they'd show some action.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I don't understand why there tank academy using antiques like these. Paint ball rounds, building team work and character building? Those tanks have tin-foil for armor and have to be stationary to even fire those guns.
It's supposed to be a martial art in this world. Badassery has no mechanical limitations.
Kodai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

I wonder if those First World War tanks are meant to actually be used in competition.

My guess is that they are there just as demonstration vehicles.

Please note that the 2 that looked like WW1 tanks in the end part were actually Japanese early WW2 tanks, likely a type 89 and type 98. Nothing to say about them except that they were pathetic. Armor thin enough that a 50cal AP round could punch through. Pop gun main weapons. Really not much more than armored cars on tracks.

Personally if I were going into that kind of competition using a pre WW2 production light/medium tank (so no KV1s) would be the Soviet BT-7. Yes it's got crappy armor, but ye gods is it fast! 80+ KPH! it's 45mm gun would also be good enough against any other pre war tank.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Kodai wrote:
Cyberphobe wrote:
Well that's a very unbalanced pairing of tanks. Compared to all the other tanks in that lineup the German Mk IV is far superior in maneuverability, firepower, and Armour. The team with the Panzer Mk IV is going to easily stand above the rest.

That's an early MkIV with the short barreled 50mm. It's only got 50mm of frontal armor too.

The StuG III on the other has the high velocity 75 mm. If it hits, it'll kill any of the tanks there. Aiming is the only problem. It's also got 80mm of frontal armor. That should be good against a direct hit from any of the other tanks, except maybe the Lee's 75mm.

That's not completely accurate. Yes it only had 50mm of frontal Armour but it never had a 50mm gun. All early models had a 75mm short barrel. Later it received the 75mm high velocity gun. And its Maybach V12 made it more maneuverable then any medium tank before it. So it may not have the thickest Armour of some of the tanks in that lineup, but it's still far superior. When the MkIV was first introduced there was no tank that could compete with it and that is fact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2