• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - A Whole New World

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that the meal scene in Say, "I Love You" felt wrong and creepy to someone else as well. It's as if she wasn't even there or at best was a pet. It also felt kind of out of character for him.

Given the fairly positive reviews for Magi and Pet Girl, I somewhat wish I had given them a go, but there's just too much to watch this season to tack on anymore. Especially after getting off-schedule due to marathoning Giant Killing this weekend before it's removed from Crunchyroll.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Yay for the Stream! Fun column as always Bamboo.

First, a couple of questions. Your reviews for Girls und Panzer and OniAi make it sound like you dropped them, but that is not shown in the article. I assume that's an error?

Also, I notice there is a lack of any The Anime Network shows. Were you just waiting till you dropped a few shows to get to them, or have they slipped through the cracks for this season like Nyarko-san did? I hope it's the former, as those shows didn't get preview guide coverage thanks to TAN's little schedule snafu, so I was hoping they'd get some coverage here.

Now, to comment on some of the shows.

I'll definitely have to check out the Pet Girl show when I get the chance. Enough people have commented on the show getting deeper later on to interest me, and the fact that after such a violent reaction to the first episode, the show managed to avoid being dropped by you is especially encouraging.

Ixion Saga DT isn't anything special, but it's pretty funny, and that's enough for me right now. Also, I love Marion, though I think a big part of that is her voice actor's performance. One slight error in your review is that the character hit by the chair wasn't killed.

Sword Art Online, well, even though I'm still really having fun with this show, there were enough issues with the end of the last arc and the start of this one that I can't really blame you too much for being a bit burned out.

Glad to see Blast of Tempest so high, as it's definitely one of my favorites. And you haven't even gotten to episode 5, which is where a flashback and a bizarre plot twist start making things really crazy. I think that in some ways, Blast of Tempest is like what K is trying to be. It's got good action, cool visuals, dramatic music, is a bit over the top and melodramatic at times, and has fanservice for both the guys and the ladies. What largely separates it from K is that it actually feels like a story that was written by someone who knew what they were doing and found a way to include those elements, while K feels like a product that was manufactured by an AI that studied what elements exist in other anime and make them popular and threw them all together. (Thanks to ikillchicken for the AI metaphor for K).

That's all for now, might comment more later.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Hm, a bunch of shoujos and fujoshi stuff in the top 10? What a surprise.

If you disagree with the column, disagree (my list would look rather different, if I were current). But insinuating that the writer's opinions are invalid because she's not male is crossing a line.
Vaisaga wrote:
If he died in SAO, well, that sucks, but it'd probably be better living his whole life knowing that Asuna was in the clutches of a giant douchebag.

The only reason the situation exists is because Asuna's father somehow thinks he's doing her a favor by marrying her off in a coma, and no one (nurses, doctors, police,, etc) seems to object. That's a shitty father. The entire plot could literally be solved with one call to protective services (assuming they're competent in Japan and I've read stuff to indicate they are major issues).

Last edited by Draneor on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Sword Art Online should have stopped at episode 14. It would have been a good end to the series. I'm sort of holding off watching any more episodes (after 15) until I see how long it is. But the episodes always were sort of up and down. One week it was interesting while another week it would go on about some mediocre relationship side story.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Personally I would rank Ixion Saga above Sword Art Online. Of course I understand humor is subjective but the series is really working for me. In large part because the seiyuu cast is making it a lot of fun.

Yeah it's not the most amazing series ever but it's amusing. And unlike SAO (which I am sorry I can't stand) it doesn't take itself at all seriously. I know Ixion Saga isn't exactly a parody of series like SAO but it sort of still feels like that to me with the timing. That being said I thought parts of episode 5 dragged.

In general the shows Bamboo is enjoying I am too, except my rankings would be a bit different. From the New World is actually my favorite new series this season.

I am also enjoying: Kamisama Kiss, Magi, My Little Monster, and Psycho Pass but I am unsure of where they rank for me.

And Polar Bear Cafe & Uchuu Kyoudai are my two carry overs. Both are great. Although after having a hard time deciding between them, I think I enjoy Polar Bear Cafe slightly more. After a hard week, Polar Bear Cafe never fails to make me incredibly happy & well I am happy we have another cour of it after this.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

If you disagree with the column, disagree (my list would look rather different, if I were current). But insinuating that the writer's opinions are invalid because she's not male is crossing a line.

Where did I say that? You can be female and like stuff aimed at male audiences... thats why Shonen Jump is the most popular manga magazine among female audiences in Japan. Chuu2 and Little Busters are pretty big hits among women this season even though they are aimed at males. What I'm saying is that its not a surprise to see anime aimed at women dominating the top 10 since Bamboo doesn't seem to give other things a chance as much as many other women might.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
While I don't really want to agree with My Little Monster at the top, I kind of have to considering what's being simulcast. It's a good show, no doubt, but not very innovative and a little slippery (guy who never goes to school can solve a problem just by looking at it when a girl who spends most of her days studying was having a hard time with it. Right)

I'm honestly surprised Space Brothers is still so high. It's been kind of dull ever since the 2nd exam finished up, and even that slowed down by the end. I'm actually not far from dropping the show. spoiler[The launch didn't help.]

I don't even know what's happening in Blast of Tempest, and not because it's got a confusing plot; I can just barely pay attention because it's not that interesting.

Agreed on Btooom!, though the rape stuff was a real put-off.

I kind of expected From the New World to be higher, but I largely agree with the review, so I understand.

Say, "I Love You". is not doing it for me at all. Yamato is a manipulative bastard and his relationship with Mei is, frankly, not very believable. The first episode was good and the recent episode was good, but all the others have one major problem (ep 2, the end), or a bunch of small problems. I would not put this above Psycho-Pass or Magi, not yet.

I dropped Robotics;Notes. So yeah.

Sword Art Online is just about the worst anime I've ever seen. If it's above anything, it's too high.

Ixion Saga DT really needs more love. It "doesn't take itself too seriously" is an understatement; there's not a lick of seriousness in the show. It's basically a giant troll, and hilarious in its execution. I can understand a lot of people being put off by the premise, and I almost dropped it myself after the first episode, but it's become one of my favorites of the season.

Holding off on Code:Breaker, largely for the reasons stated.

Still watching Girls und Panzer, but it really isn't that good.

OniAi isn't great by any means, but I feel like it's not getting enough credit (probably because of the incest...). It's awesome to see a deadpan protagonist in this kind of scenario and it really enhances the comedy.

So I'd say I agree with about half of the column this time.
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“Also, it's super easy to drive a tank; you just gotta push a couple of buttons.” Get out of here.

Actually you'd be surprised how relatively easy tanks are to drive. If you can grasp the concept of how to drive a modern manual transmission equipped automobile, you've pretty much got everything it takes to drive a typical tank depicted in the show.

I find the premise of Girls Und Panzer utterly bizarre, but maybe that's why I am watching it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that's right, Bakuman Season 3 isn't being streamed.

Anyway, here is my list, from best to worst, and including shows that aren't getting official streams:

Bakuman Season 3
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
Polar Bear Cafe
Suki-tte Ii na yo
Ginga e Kickoff!!
Zetsuen no Tempest
Space Brothers
Magi
Kamisama Hajimemashita
Psycho Pass
Ixion Saga DT
BTOOM!
Little Busters!
Robotics;Notes
From the New World
Code:Breaker
Sword Art Online
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Girls und Panzer - dropped
Busou Shinki
K - dropped
OniAi - dropped

Why I'm still watching Busou Shinki I have no idea.

Red Fox of Fire wrote:
(guy who never goes to school can solve a problem just by looking at it when a girl who spends most of her days studying was having a hard time with it. Right)

You must have missed the part where it was stated that Haru spent three years doing nothing but study. No school, no friends, just studying. Also, Shizuku stated that she has to doing things multiple times in order to learn, whereas Haru has an amazing memory and doesn't forget anything he's read. Finally, Haru may be book smart but has no common sense at all.

And it's not like Shizuku is stupid for all of her studying; she's still the 29th highest-ranked student in Japan in her age group.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Where did I say that? You can be female and like stuff aimed at male audiences... thats why Shonen Jump is the most popular manga magazine among female audiences in Japan. Chuu2 and Little Busters are pretty big hits among women this season even though they are aimed at males. What I'm saying is that its not a surprise to see anime aimed at women dominating the top 10 since Bamboo doesn't seem to give other things a chance as much as many other women might.

That's funny, because 6 of my Top 10 are aimed at men. So, more than 50%.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

First, a couple of questions. Your reviews for Girls und Panzer and OniAi make it sound like you dropped them, but that is not shown in the article. I assume that's an error?

Oops, that was an error. Thanks!

Quote:
Also, I notice there is a lack of any The Anime Network shows. Were you just waiting till you dropped a few shows to get to them, or have they slipped through the cracks for this season like Nyarko-san did? I hope it's the former, as those shows didn't get preview guide coverage thanks to TAN's little schedule snafu, so I was hoping they'd get some coverage here.

Those totally fell through the cracks because of the scheduling issue. I guess next time. ^^;

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
stardf29

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I think the extent to which one likes Girls und Panzer is based on how much one can get into the sheer ridiculousness of the setting. I personally totally dig the outlandishness of the show, which is why it is currently my favorite new show of the season, just edging out Chuunibyou at the moment.

(My absolute favorite show this season is still Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb, but that's the fourth season of a show that had 3 seasons to completely win me over, so it has an unfair advantage. Razz )
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Draneor wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

If I see any more misogyny from you you're out of here.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
That's funny, because 6 of my Top 10 are aimed at men. So, more than 50%.

Well, that's because you ran out of shows aimed at women Laughing Instead I think you should point out that shows aimed at men did outrank ones aimed at women.

But I wouldn't give too much weight to such comments. You like what you like and that's that. It's just that we readers who follow you for awhile figure out what your tastes are so we can pretty much guess what you'd think of certain shows.

There are still plenty of surprises to be had, though.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
(guy who never goes to school can solve a problem just by looking at it when a girl who spends most of her days studying was having a hard time with it. Right)

You must have missed the part where it was stated that Haru spent three years doing nothing but study. No school, no friends, just studying. Also, Shizuku stated that she has to doing things multiple times in order to learn, whereas Haru has an amazing memory and doesn't forget anything he's read. Finally, Haru may be book smart but has no common sense at all.

And it's not like Shizuku is stupid for all of her studying; she's still the 29th highest-ranked student in Japan in her age group.

That doesn't really help the believability for a couple reasons:
1. A middle school kid not in school...choosing to study? Like, seriously? It'd be one thing if we were led to believe he likes school and studying, but it's quite obvious that isn't the case since we're told he only goes to school in the present for Shizuku.
2. We don't know what he was studying. Is it really that believable that he not only studied the relevant material but retained after what is likely a few years? ("amazing memory" is a cheap excuse)

At the end of the day, this is only a minor gripe I had, and it's not like it came back, so it's not a big deal to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15