• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Series just finished airing today.

Overall, I rated it Excellent despite the bit of a lackluster finale imo. The series was quite enjoyable for me with the lighthearted comedy, drama, romance, and the setting as well as the duo of Shizuku and Haru. It was so priceless and fun to watch them in each episode Laughing

Anyways, ya. That's pretty much I'll say for now. Season 2? I wouldn't mind it all! That is..if it ever does get announced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Season 2? I wouldn't mind it all! That is..if it ever does get announced.

I think they added a not so subtle hidden message in the episode about that:
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9854/mylittlepartingmessage.jpg

As it is, it didn't go anywhere. They're obviously hoping for a continuation. I had actually thought this would be a 2-cour show.
It seems like the first half of a "Very Good" or "excellent" series but it doesn't even feel like a temporary ending- it just stops.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 Final

spoiler[Haru frantically looking for someone.
He also dropped a whole bunch of things around.
That was a great way to unintentionally get people together.
So he was looking for a glowing bug...
This was a kinda weird and out of place episode.
A very unusual final episode that totally didn't give a feeling it was final episode.]
Pablo_Equis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Yuu rules. That is all.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh these kids, role models all. spoiler[I thoroughly enjoyed all the jokes around Joji's hospitalization. Apparently they swung by the hospital again to pick him up to go return Haru's keys (and gloves?) with them, IV rack and all. How could that possibly turn out badly? Very Happy]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (final)

Not a really big ending episode, but I liked how at the end it did a call back to the beginning of the series, I almost forgot about that and my confusion at that time to all those characters.

A second season would be nice.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
While that wasn't really an ending at all, I still gave it an excellent because it was one of the better animes of this season. I loved all of the characters, especially Natsume. I am also hoping for a 2nd season.

DuskyPredator wrote:

but I liked how at the end it did a call back to the beginning of the series, I almost forgot about that and my confusion at that time to all those characters.

What do you mean by call back? Does it have to do with glasses's girl sister and the rooster?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
I really like that everyone except his nominal girlfriend gets all in a lather when Haru is acting strange and seems upset about something. It is just another indication of how good they are for each other.

Although it seems the romance hasn't really gotten very far it actually has in profound ways. Shizuku has learned to appreciate him for what he is, which would be a huge step for anyone. She realizes early on that she cannot understand her little monster's actions beyond a certain point so she doesn't even attempt to. Even when everyone else has convinced themselves what Haru is up to she isn't drawn into the mistake.

The opening credits show a great metaphor for the relationship. Shizuku is sitting at her classroom desk calmly with her chin in her hand, observing and contemplating the ongoing frenetic chaos going on in the seat to her right. Aliens, chickens, squiggles. Anything shows up there for a moment and then on to the next thing. That's Haru.

That aspect of the story comes across better in the anime than it does in the manga. I was interested enough to start reading it -- mostly to figure out what the meaning of the chicken is -- but it has a lot more to the story and characters. I really hope they continue this series on for another couple of seasons.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

but I liked how at the end it did a call back to the beginning of the series, I almost forgot about that and my confusion at that time to all those characters.

What do you mean by call back? Does it have to do with glasses's girl sister and the rooster?

I was refering to Shizuku doing that thing about talking each of those people, I remember the anime started off with a very similar scene in ep 1, although we did not know any of the characters at that point.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
Just finished the series and actually didn't realize it was the last episode. ^^; Definitely left hanging as there's much more to be covered. Hopefully it'll be getting a second season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
I'd love it if this show got a spin-off series featuring Natsume and the funny little girl who found the rooster. That way I could get everything I like about this show and not have to deal with Haru, who is nothing but an irritating, violent retard to me or his emotionally repressed, "I live to study" so-called "girlfriend."

I thought the finale did a reasonable job as a stopping point. If a second season never gets made, I'd still feel like a complete story was told, but there are clearly enough threads to weave a second season from. I don't know what the sales figures have been like, but if they are decent enough, I'm sure we'll get another helping.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, they've left some things dangling here at the end that I would like to see resolved, specifically the spoiler[Natsume and Michan issue]. We also don't have the whole background onspoiler[ Haru's family which I think is probably key to having a better understanding of Haru] as a character. Its something I would have liked to have seen dealt with, because it feels like its been put off. So, I hope we get a second season down the road for a few of these things to play out, because it would be a shame if it ended on this note.

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Does it have to do with glasses's girl sister and the rooster?

I don't think that girl is her sister, just her good friend.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Although it seems the romance hasn't really gotten very far it actually has in profound ways. Shizuku has learned to appreciate him for what he is, which would be a huge step for anyone. She realizes early on that she cannot understand her little monster's actions beyond a certain point so she doesn't even attempt to. Even when everyone else has convinced themselves what Haru is up to she isn't drawn into the mistake.
Wha? A relationship based on not understanding one another, eh? Nah, I think in typical Shizuku fashion it wasn't worth the distraction from her studies. Haru is always getting into something and if she's always chasing him around then she wouldn't be studying or it could be exhausting. Remember she gives the phone to Natsume and prepares to go back home to study which is still her main priority, not babysitting Haru.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh btw, there is an OVA confirmed for the series.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Wha? A relationship based on not understanding one another, eh?

Based on appreciation. Ask a sample of people you know if they would rather be appreciated or understood by their SO and you might be surprised.

And yes. It might be cynical but one of the attractions of the opposite sex is the mystery (not understanding) of them. I strongly suspect that if men understood women at a fundamental level we wouldn't bother pursuing them.

Quote:
Nah, I think in typical Shizuku fashion it wasn't worth the distraction from her studies. Haru is always getting into something and if she's always chasing him around then she wouldn't be studying or it could be exhausting. Remember she gives the phone to Natsume and prepares to go back home to study which is still her main priority, not babysitting Haru.

That is undoubtedly correct.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Based on appreciation. Ask a sample of people you know if they would rather be appreciated or understood by their SO and you might be surprised.

And yes. It might be cynical but one of the attractions of the opposite sex is the mystery (not understanding) of them.

I think she understands Haru quite well in that he can be chaotic and distracting, which is why she tries to avoid being pulled into things or does things to manage him like the bribe. And no I don't think that its cynical to say that people are attracted to what seems mysterious about the opposite sex. However, I would say it is Haru's unpredictability that can be both attractive and a nuisance to Shizuku who is someone that likes to have everything ordered and planned out. This is not the same as being mysterious. The unpredictability of some of his actions like his honesty or consideration that seem spontaneous are surprising, pleasurable but also something that can be understood. On the other hand, the violence and jealousy not so pleasant, but can also be understood. Mystery is fine and all as an initial attractor, but in the long run if there is no understanding then you end up with friction and conflict. Haru also doesn't need to be mysterious for Shizuku to be attracted to him. She could be attracted to his looks or his intelligence or that he's the first guy to take a serious interest in her or that he's a bad boy that needs to be reformed.

Quote:
I strongly suspect that if men understood women at a fundamental level we wouldn't bother pursuing them.
Now that might be a little cynical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18