• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Giant-Size Supernerds No. 1 In Mint Condition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
I also want to recommend Still Walking. I was very pleasantly surprised by it when I randomly watched it one day on Netflix a while back. I agree exactly with everything Justin said about it. I'd like to watch it again. If it is apparently not on Netflix anymore, I should buy a copy. It is a wonderful film.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm new here so I don't know the staff by voice/name but whoever brought up the point that Japan just doesn't care about Mass Effect and thus the anime was handled by newer folks, I completely agree (in fact as you guys were talking about the point that's exactly what I was thinking before you said it). I know it sucks to admit but Japan just doesn't seem all that interested in foreign stuff and this Mass Effect series is a pretty obvious sign. Personally I don't even know why they decided to do it, it just didn't sound right. They may have made a "passable" film (I haven't seen it and I'm not interested since I've never played Mass Effect) but really for a series connected to a major game release you'd think they would have wanted more than passable. For all this subject matter that sounds interesting they could have cranked out a great product. Oh well.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
They did it because they were paid to do it. Just like the Marvel anime. Bioware/Funi wanted a ME movie to sell, so they hired a Japanese company to do it. They're not going to turn down a paycheck just because they have no personal interest in the franchise. As for numbers. Mass Effect 3 sold 15,000 on it's first week in Japan, so yeah, Japan's not really interested in Mass Effect.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
Quite true, there's nothing wrong with wanting to get paid. I'm just interested in why they didn't use an American company? Why make an anime of Mass Effect at all? "Our research indicates that nerds love anime and Mass Effect so they'll just gobble it up"? I'm oversimplifying here, but still, if it has such a narrow appeal, did they really expect to sell that much of this? They can't only be relying on impulse buys for something related to a game.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Mike, for your crawl through the Key stuff, are you going to include Clannad The Motion Picture? Considering it's Osamu Dezaki's last movie, I think you'd find some interesting historical perspectives, and comparisons between it and the KyoAni series of the same material.

Made me think of how much I enjoyed Theron's review of that film. I always like to hear mature, considered opinions on it.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Haven't quite finished the ep yet, but I am enjoying it so far.

Just a little pitch into the Japanese live action movie question: I admit I don't watch very many movies like that (or very many, period), but one I did see that I thought was excellent was the drama Okuribito/Departures. For those who don't know, it's about a man whose life changes after he takes a job "assisting departures," which turns out to be preparing dead people for burial. It won the 2009 Oscar for Best Foreign Language film for good reason; check it out if you have the opportunity. As a nice bonus, the soundtrack is by Joe Hisaishi.
noigeL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Penguindrum is dubtitled. Sentai dubs are notorious for being slavish word-for-word readings of the subtitle script (like so many CPM dubs back in the day) so that's probably what you're seeing, Zac.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:
I don't think Penguindrum is dubtitled. Sentai dubs are notorious for being slavish word-for-word readings of the subtitle script (like so many CPM dubs back in the day) so that's probably what you're seeing, Zac.

The the subtitle script sucks and is full of inappropriate slang and dumb internet meme language. I don't really care what you call it, it's a bad translation job.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say it's "full" of those things, but they do occur from time to time, and it's irritating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
generalkorn12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:48 am Reply with quote
Screenshots from user, AKX20000, at Mania, which gives some context on the Penguindrum script:

http://i.imgur.com/7kKGa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pt6pJ.jpg
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:32 am Reply with quote
generalkorn12 wrote:
Screenshots from user, AKX20000, at Mania, which gives some context on the Penguindrum script:

Those are my screenshots. That's my TV. I posted those to Twitter.
generalkorn12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:49 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
generalkorn12 wrote:

Those are my screenshots. That's my TV. I posted those to Twitter.

Rabbit was a dead giveaway, Laughing , you should stick a watermark next time so they don't take any credit.

Did you think Penguindrum holds up well against Ikuharas, Utena?
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:01 am Reply with quote
generalkorn12 wrote:

Rabbit was a dead giveaway, Laughing

In combination with a Paul Thomas Anderson poster.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
A couple points that I'd like more factual info on:

The idea that Sentai needs a bunch of titles to make themselves attractive to Netflix and the like… can someone spell out this idea a little more completely? Some of the Sentai stuff is already on Netflix (I see Angel Beats! and High School of the Dead available for streaming), so what is the issue here? That they always have n number of hours of stream-ready content licensed and ready to go so they can make a package deal with streaming sites or TV networks? Is it that these streaming rights expire (e.g., Netflix has Clannad After Story but not the original Clannad), so they're always racing to keep the pipeline full?

And what about these economics makes rush-job translations a good idea?

Second, talking briefly about anime music, Mike tosses out the idea of getting Japanese licensors to put compilations of the stuff on iTunes. Justin replies "the hoops you have to jump through is not worth it." Interested to know: which hoops? What, specifically, is the problem? Is it the "compilation" idea and having to get rights from different sources? Is it a Japanese resistance to digital downloads or iTunes in particular? I think it's interesting that, even browsing the Japanese iTunes store, you find very few anime soundtracks, per se. There are some, including some real finds even on the US store, like a $70 Sakura Taisen box set (there also used to be a partial Rose of Versailles soundtrack, but I just looked for it and it's gone), but it's very hit or miss. Tellingly, you can even get the opening and closing themes to Madoka Magica ("Dokes!") on the US store as single tracks from albums by Claris and Kalafina respectively, but an actual PMMM soundtrack is not available, even on Japan's iTunes Store.

I've learned to chalk this up to "Japanese consumers tolerate the highest physical media prices in the world" logic, and assume that must account for at least some of "hoops" Justin speaks of.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote
Say, does anyone here watch the Red White New Years show?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4